GX8 firmware update? and 'monochrome' modes

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
I suspect I already know the answer to this question, but I'm curious so I'll ask it anyway: does anyone believe that Panasonic will ever update the firmware of a few older cameras - like my GX8 - to include some of the newer dedicated monochrome picture modes?

Specifically - the "l monochrome" - which I believe was introduced with the GX85 - and then, the later evolution, the "l monochrome d" mode which was simultaneously introduced on the GX9 - the G9 - the FZ1000ii - and the LX100ii.

It's such a cool 'preset' mode that on a few occasions, I've been tempted to replace my GX8 with one of the newer cameras - either a GX9 or a G9 --- but I've held off for my own quirky reasons, namely the GX8 has a much better (and larger) EVF than the GX9 - and though the G9's EVF is clearly just as nice (or possibly a bit better than) as my GX8's - I don't like the much larger size, form factor or weight of the G9.

It would be nice if Panasonic continually issued firmware upgrades to update older models - as Fujifilm seems to do regularly (sigh) - but I don't imagine that is likely to happen soon. Am I right about this? What do other Lumixians think?

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
It would be nice if Panasonic released a firmware update for the GX8, but I doubt that the camera has any spare memory space left for that.
Have a look at the G90. The EVF on that is better than the GX8, and it's not as bulky as the G9. I hardly use my GX8 these days since getting the G90 exactly a year ago.

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
It would be nice if Panasonic released a firmware update for the GX8, but I doubt that the camera has any spare memory space left for that.
Have a look at the G90. The EVF on that is better than the GX8, and it's not as bulky as the G9. I hardly use my GX8 these days since getting the G90 exactly a year ago.
thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it

WT21

Super Moderator
I have the g80 and while it’s not a thing of beauty in terms of looks, it’s one of the most functional cameras I’ve ever used balanced with size and weight. If you are ok with function over form, then I, too, recommend the g90/95/85/80 family.

I don’t think they will release FW updates for the gx8. It’s been such a long time since it’s release and they consider the gx9 a replacement

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have both. Advantages of the G90 are numerous. Examples: quieter shutter, sharper EVF image, can be powered from an external power bank, creation of your most frequently used menus quick access slot, inbuilt flash, mic and headphone sockets, easier to hold with long lenses, 4K crop factor of 1.25 versus 2.7. Same sensor as the G9.

WT21

Super Moderator
I have both. Advantages of the G90 are numerous. Examples: quieter shutter, sharper EVF image, can be powered from an external power bank, creation of your most frequently used menus quick access slot, inbuilt flash, mic and headphone sockets, easier to hold with long lenses, 4K crop factor of 1.25 versus 2.7. Same sensor as the G9.
Yeah, but besides that :p

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I'd say no chance of firmware changes to the Gx8. Specifically on L.monoD , it's a beautiful profile but I suspect it's a combo of sensor and processor , and I doubt the Gx8 has that combo. More broadly, there are obvious firmware updates that never made it to the G9, so I hugely doubt the even older Gx8 ever gets another look.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I think Fuji built that as part of their ethos, though many of their updates did make you want to move - especially around AF.
The biggest example of this for Fuji was the original X100 , which incredibly received transformational firmware some 5 or 6 years after release. I can't think of any other cameras where that happened.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom