GX8 dpr Review Better Late Than Never !

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It's the third review that raises the shutter shock issue, and one that I've also found to be a issue. I just almost always use the electronic shutter. The only real issue with ES is banding from non-continuous light sources. I also found out that the FW update for the Auto switch mode is lens dependent and doesn't work with any of my 5 Panasonic lenses.
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I find the 0 sec. anti-shock feature that Olympus implemented in the newer cameras to be very well implemented. I don't notice any shutter shock at all with my E-M5 II. On top of that, the Olympus has 5-axis IBIS and silent shutter now for maximum vibration control.

I was leaning towards getting a GX8 down the road, but this might keep me in the Olympus camp until Panasonic finds a fix.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm also starting to feel like maybe stabilized 1080p is better than shaky 4k. Not all the lenses I like come with OIS for the video. I'm really bummed that they didn't figure out how to leave the IBIS running in video mode. Biggest peeve of my GX7 right now.
  5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    From my G7 experience, handhold 4k video using Panasonic 14-140 IS lens is much burr than Olympus handhold 1080p, it's much sharp video when G7 on tripod.
  6. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Some other reports I've read say that the shutter shock happens more with some lenses than others, particularly bad is the 14-140.

Just went through 800+ images shot with the GX8 and the 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 20, and 42.5 and did not see a single instance of shutter shock between 1/60 to 1/250 of a sec.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Very much lens related I think. Especially the 14-140.
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Of course. But what about with my 25mm and 75mm primes?
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if the shutter shock shows up on Olympus bodies with the 14-140 II?
  10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    25 isn't bad. 75...#1 lens for displaying SS; Panasonic or Olympus.
  11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    While I simply don't understand why Panasonic doesn't just introduce an electronic first-curtain shutter mode the way most of the other manufacturers have, I find that for almost all the shooting that I do, e-shutter is acceptable. Any time I need to use a mechanical shutter, shutter speeds are either higher (i.e. 1/500s or faster) or in interiors with fluorescent lighting. The detail-robbing effects of shutter shock are easily outweighed by the higher ISOs required for indoor shooting, so it's not really a noticeable issue for me.

But silent mode is my default on the GX7. I actually find it surprising when a camera makes a shutter noise now. It almost seems rude, haha. The leaf shutters on my medium format cameras are very quiet, too, and there's nothing casual about their use, so you don't hear them that often...
  12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Wow, they are really hammering Panasonic on the whole shutter shock issue. I can't belIeve it s that much worse suddenly . I also don't get their issues with the grip . In my experience, it's the most comfortable grip outside of the more dslr shaped bodies .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If you're talking about the video, the G7 doesn't have in-body IS, 25 1.8 is worse than 14-140 4k handhold, hand shake did make difference. Maybe it just me, I'm a newbie on video.:oops:
  14. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    The last review I read was EM5, I think they really hyped it on the review. It made me bought the camera. Now I'm smarter, I read user reviews on various forums and blogs. :D
  15. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    It's all about money. Reviews are bought and paid for. Panasonic is just not playing their game. I've taken 1000's of images with my G7 and have never experienced shutter shock.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Shame they have to pay to get honest reviews. Reminds of the political games currently being played on the national level=nauseating.
    On shutter shock I've lived it, and before I knew of the relation to specific shutter speed range. It was with the Oly 40-150/2.8 on the GX8.
    All the reviews about how nice that lens was and I could only produce soft images---in fact better with the Lumix 100-300. Then I discovered
    e-shutter and finally got to appreciate the 40-150.
    Nowadays I just keep it in e-shutter despite the FW update offering auto-shutter.
    I just don't do BIF or sports with the GX8, not that it's not capable, I just grab another kit purpose built for that.
    When the 100-400 gets here I think eventually I'll plan a trip for things that move, and then I'll just have to remember to turn off e-shutter
    and at my age that easier said than done :)
  17. timinsingapore

timinsingapore Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2014
    Panasonic should have addressed the SS issue and obviously haven't. Is it that much of a problem in reality? Electronic shutter works fine except for banding in certain forms of artificial light, and rolling shutter effect in circumstances where you would probably use a highish shutter speed and mechanical shutter would be OK, out of the SS zone.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    I can't say that I've seen shutter shock. I only shoot with the 14 2.5, 20 1.7 & 25 1.7. The last couple of months I've pretty much exclusively shot e shutter, & I'm yet to see rolling shutter effects too :) At some stage I'm going to pick up some sort of tele lens, head to the race track, & try some slower ss panning. I'm pretty interested to see what weirdness occurs with both e shutter, & if any ss shows up with the mechanical at around 1/300-1/800 ss range. Lots of other factors involved when shooting moving stuff though, so it might be difficult to come to a conclusive answer :) Good fun experimenting though
  19. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    This is utter the nonsense. No one is paying dpreview for higher scores. And just because you haven't experienced something doesn't mean it's nonexistent.

I thought the gx8 review was very positive all things considered. You can't expect them to gloss over faults as they find them, nor can we expect companies to fix many issues if they don't get broad coverage.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I've been using my GX7 with electronic shutter for two years or so. No problems whatsoever with my experience and how I shoot.

Now, I just received the GX8 and I'm shooting with electronic shutter with this body as well. I won't bother with auto-shutter; I'm going to just go with electronic shutter. In circumstances where mechanical shutter might be required (not likely with what I like to shoot) I can always select mechanical shutter and adjust ISO or aperture to avoid potential SS. I think that mechanical shutters will become a thing of the past in the not-too-distant future and that's be fine by me. I'm pretty much all electronic-shutter as it is these days, anyway. Same on my PEN-F.

BTW, I'm really enjoying the GX8; it's an outstanding camera in very many ways. I'm surprised to find myself saying this, but my well-loved GX7 is likely to take a back seat to the GX8 much of the time now. I have no plans to let the GX7 go away, though, as the GX7 and GX8 make a nice pair of cameras for image making. And I like having multiple cameras to minimize lens swaps in the field, meet various needs with regard to size, weight, lens size matching, and stabilization needs. Lastly, multiple bodies serve as backups in the event of a camera failure. (No problems, though, with any of my m4/3 cameras in my 7 years of experience with them.) Currently, in the m4/3 system, the GX8, GX7, GM5, PEN-F, and E-P5 bodies fill those roles.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2