GX8 checking in, once again, for my annual "touch bases"

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Interesting. I was wondering if it really existed.
Yes, it is a real problem. My 45-150 zoom is unusable on the GX8 unless I switch to the e-shutter. My other lenses are mostly fine though, and the problem doesn't seem to affect unstabilised primes at all.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
My wishlist for the next GX camera would be:

-Same or better EVF from GX8
-20mp Sensor
-G9 IBIS
-At least G9 AF
-HiRez (HHHR optional)
-GX8 size (smaller would be fine, if the grip stays decent (e.g. gx7 grip)
-Weather Sealing
-Same amount of external controls as GX8 (or more)
-Articulating Screen (3-way-tilt would be preferable)

Video: Pretty happy with the current possibilities on the GX8, but I will always take advances in that area

Pretty much a G9 in a GX Body. Considering that the G9 is now a few years down the line it should be possible. If Panasonic finally decides that PDAF is not a force of evil, I'll have that too, but I don't think that's likely.

Real Name
Roddy
Of all the improvements that could happen with the next camera on from the GX8 (ie: a RF body that improves on the GX8), I'd put 'better AF' at the top of my list. I may be the odd one out but I am tired of missing close shots with my P30mm as it hunts around. The lens is great in SAF (as are most lenses) on a dew-covered insect half asleep in the dawn light, but for active flower-flitting critturs it does suffer from a mule-like stubbornness to hunt out far beyond the required focal distance. This may be a fault of the lens of course, but it often occurs with other lenses, too, when trying to close focus, so I'm putting some of the blame on the camera :) Manual focussing solves some of the problems, of course, but some insects move way too fast....

Better AF, the G80 shutter mechanism and a couple more stops of IBIS would be great. No need to change much else for me.....

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
If the GX10 turns out to be the follow-up to the GX8 that many of us want it to be, I will trade in both my GX8 and GX85 for it. I'm not asking for much.

Personally, I'd be happy with a GX8 that has Panasonic's latest and best shutter mechanism, sensor, autofocus and image-processing engine. All stuff that's already on the shelf.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Rather than releasing the G90, Panasonic should have made that the GX8 follow up. The G90 is not a cheaper version of the G9, but it's competing for the attention of the same G80 customers who want to upgrade, and FF customers who want to downsize. If it had been a rangefinder instead, it would have been a worthy replacement of the GX8. But that time has passed. Any new high end rangefinder from Panasonic will have to include attention grabbing features from the G9. Like 6K, high res, etc.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
If the GX10 turns out to be the follow-up to the GX8 that many of us want it to be, I will trade in both my GX8 and GX85 for it

I'm in this boat too. I'd definitely offload a few things to buy a true Gx8 successor. But I might still keep the Gx8 !

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
While this article acknowledges that Panasonic has heard the rumblings/concerns about the GH line, and they have obviously decided to head them off prior to the S5 launch. The bit in there about the fixed lens cameras, and the video or super tele emphasis does not bode well for the GX line.

Interesting to hear that Panasonic basically gives up the compact fixed lens camera business:

Looking at the evolution of smartphones, they will have a multiple sensors and lenses to adapt to various focal length shooting conditions. So this category is gradually being taken over by the smartphone. Especially compact cameras with middle-range zoom lenses, they will be the most affected by the smartphone evolution and expansion of the smartphone. Personally, I use LX or GX for snap shooting, and this is very effective. But we have to admit that this category is the most affected by the smartphone’s expansion.
Summary:
Miro Four Thirds will focus on video and telephoto performance. While the fixed lens camera business is death.

SLLm43

New to Mu-43
For most of what I do, my two GX8 cameras are superb tools, but for photographing birds in flight and fast moving wildlife, the GX8's autofocus responds too slowly. I too hope against hope that Panasonic will offer a GX8 II or whatever it would be called with fast-acting, reliable autofocus, even better IBIS, and longer battery life...but I'm not holding my breath.

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
The Gx8 and G9 are the perfect combo, throw in the Gx85 with the Oly 9-18/Pany 35-100 f4/5.6 and you have the three bears of photography.
I added the G9 and PL 12-60 kit earlier this month to the GX8. I moved the 12-60 to the GX8 and the PL 100-400 to the G9. This should be a great combination, with no third bear at the moment.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sadly as I've gotten more into video and HighRes I sold my last Gx8 to add a second G9 to the kit. If Pany made a Gx8 with G9 guts I'd be on it in a minute.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Well... here we are at about 5 1/2 years with my GX8. And STILL, there isn't another m4/3 body that motivates me to open my wallet.

Yes the G9 is a great camera, but it's not at all like the GX8, which is -for me- an ideal form factor for a camera.

I'm still as thrilled with using my GX8 as I was 5 1/2 years ago. Leica 12-60 lives on it. Amazing.

Perhaps 2021 will bring a proper successor to the GX8?

Last edited:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I added the G9 and PL 12-60 kit earlier this month to the GX8. I moved the 12-60 to the GX8 and the PL 100-400 to the G9. This should be a great combination, with no third bear at the moment.
Leica 12-60 on the GX8 is an absolutely fabulous combination. If I were to have only one m4/3 body and lens.... that would be it!

Real Name
Roddy
The G9 is my goal next year, I think. I am swerving away from a foray into FF more and more. The new Z5 and S5 bodies seem realistically priced and conveniently small, but the cost of the glass and a new computer will be a crippling factor. For me, anyway.

In the meantime I'm enjoying two things about the GX8 that make me like it more every day.

1) the tilt-able EVF. I cannot imagine a body without this facility, especially for macro, and for long lenses (where you tuck your arms into your sides and get a rock-solid base to shoot from.

2) the fact that the same EVF is offset to the left and my nose no longer moves the focus point. How important this may be varies from individual to individual, but if you are of that ilk that likes to jam one's face into the camera for stability, that it becomes a snoot point. Sorry, moot point.

And of all the improvements I could hope for in a GX8ii, it is improved AF that I want most. I can cope without better IBIS, but I dream of a camera that focuses where i want it to, when I want it to.

Last edited:
Eh....OK, I'm about 5 years late for the party but recently acquired a nice looking [and operating] GX8.
Stated, from an honest sounding seller, that it's done 7K actuations [have yet to check] but it looks like it's fresh out of the box.
So just a few thoughts:
I really do like it and am very tempted to sell my EM5 ii.....which now looks, to my eye, like a somewhat fragile example of overblown style and featurism.
Not really fair, I know, and I would sorely miss the Oly's IBIS [hand-held focus stacking comes to mind]
And when it comes to the Pana's IBIS....I think I've figured why you can't see it working with a half press as with Olympus ....it would just be too embarrassing!
I love the [light weight tank] build quality of the GX8 and the offset EVF. The EVF, I feel, is even better than my X-T2 and definitely trumps that on the EM5 ii, which was a major disappointment when I first got it.
My only major gripe with the Pana is that $#&^@# display button. On my first major outing with it I was nearly apoplectic with the regular bump/move of my display. I decided later that I would sacrifice the Fn4 button as the level indicator on/off switch. Maybe not a bad idea......the level indicator seems to work very well but it is just too distracting to have it working, 'in ya face', all the time.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I just had an in-store play with a Sony A7C . It confirmed my suspicion - a Full Frame Gx8 would be awesome and should be possible physically. The 7c felt very similar to the Gx8 but inferior (and non tilting) evf and lacking a front control wheel. It's the first Sony I've handled that didn't instantly turn me off , but Pana would do it better, plus better menus.

If they built it, I'd buy one.

I'd also buy an upgraded Gx8, lol.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom