GX8 checking in, once again, for my annual "touch bases"

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I've looked at the GX8 many times and realy liked it. The those with a Pen F as well (e.g.Don @DHart), why do you prefer the GX8?
pdk42... yes, I have both the GX8 and the Pen-F.

The GX8, all the way around, has such wonderful ergonomics and is just such a joy to use. The Pen-F (without adding on an accessory orthopedic grip device of some sort) is no where near as comfortable to handle and use. I did buy an add-on device to help with the Pen-F grip hold, which makes handling a bit better, but still falls short of how the GX8 feels and handles.

I often prefer to use lenses which happen to be somewhat on the larger side (vs. primes). My most used lens these days is the Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4. That is such a versatile lens - awesome range to cover such a wide range of applications. And the image quality with that lens is so good. The GX8 is a great match, size wise, to that lens.

The GX8 EVF is just superb. I like Panasonic's menu system better, as well.

I have used the Pen-F a bit, but very little, as compared to the GX8. I see the Pen-F as being fairly suited to shooting with small, light weight primes. With somewhat larger, heavier lenses, the GX8 is a much better "fit" for me.

When I reach for a camera, most of the time, I want the GX8.

So, while I like the Pen-F, I absolutely LOVE the GX8.

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
pdk42... yes, I have both the GX8 and the Pen-F.

The GX8, all the way around, has such wonderful ergonomics and is just such a joy to use. The Pen-F (without adding on an accessory orthopedic grip device of some sort) is no where near as comfortable to handle and use. I did buy an add-on device to help with the Pen-F grip hold, which makes handling a bit better, but still falls short of how the GX8 feels and handles.

I often prefer to use lenses which happen to be on the larger side. My most used lens these days is the Leica 12-60 f/2.8-4. That is such a versatile lens - awesome range to cover such a wide range of applications. And the image quality with that lens is so good. The GX8 is a great match, size wise, to that lens.

The GX8 EVF is just superb. I like Panasonic's menu system better, as well.

I have used the Pen-F a bit, but very, very little. I see the Pen-F as being fairly suited to shooting with small, light weight primes. With larger, heavier lenses, the GX8 is a much better "fit" for me.

When I reach for a camera, most of the time, I want the GX8.

So, while I like the Pen-F, I absolutely LOVE the GX8.
Thanks Don. I might try to pickup a used GX8 at some point to experience it first hand. I do like the EVF and the handling from the little playing I've done so far.

Real Name
Mike Peters
The old GX8 still rocks, iso 10000, PL 10-25.
011720_3198_GRAD Commencement.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RichDesmond

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is a real shame that Panasonic hasn't seen fit to sell what I thought was a blindingly obvious follow on to the GX8. Just leave most of it the same, fix the shutter shock issue and give it the IBIS and JPEG processing from the GX85. And move the damn Q Menu button so I'm not forever hitting it accidentally. :)
It is a great camera though, and my favorite m4/3 body.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
It is a real shame that Panasonic hasn't seen fit to sell what I thought was a blindingly obvious follow on to the GX8. Just leave most of it the same, fix the shutter shock issue and give it the IBIS and JPEG processing from the GX85. And move the damn Q Menu button so I'm not forever hitting it accidentally. :)
Q.MENU button doesn't bother me, but that dang DISP button does. Hit that all the time.
The IBIS in the GX85 is wonderful. I tend to pick that camera up first, when low light is a possibility.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
One of the reasons I bought a G90 recently is because it fills in many of the gaps left by the GX8. But when it comes to the EVF then as a prescription sunglasses wearer I have yet to come across any other m43 camera that can rival it. But the OLED rear display of the G90 is readable with my sunglasses on, whilst it's unusable on the GX8.

Andy H.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Many, many images with my GX8 and ZERO "shutter shock" issues! Have even tried to make it happen to no avail. Just not believing it can happen with the latest firmware.

Real Name
Mike Peters
I too haven't found shutter shock to be an issue since the last firmware update. I would like full time IBIS like on the newest bodies, also minimum shutter speed choices and some of the other doo dads on the latest bodies. But the same basic layout, maybe a joystick too. I find the batteries pretty long lasting too, and sometimes they outlast the G9/GH5 batteries by a long shot.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Yeah... in all the years since the introduction of the GX8... shutter shock: ZERO. Never even got close to my radar. Shutter shock has been much overblown, in my personal experience.

Use electronic shutter, as a default. Why not? If you feel that you must, for whatever reason, switch to mechanical shutter, just do so for that occasion. (As I work, I've never had occasion to change from electronic shutter. Of course, your use may differ.)

I grew up with mechanical film cameras, and then spent the vast majority of my life as a professional photographer, using medium format mechanical film cameras, before switching to digital capture during the last decade of my commercial work world.

With this background and experience, I find myself quite well served and pleased with the GX8. Does the G9 offer more? Sure it does. But is that "more" something that makes a real difference to me as an image maker? Not really! :)

I have no interest in chasing every last possible feature that is offered to tempt us to buy yet another camera body. There have been features on cameras now several years old that I have never found the need to use.

When Panasonic offers a truly worthy successor to the GX8, I will buy it! So far... nothing has tempted me. I am a little bit of a gear hound, so, perhaps 2020 will bring that worthy successor?

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom