GX8 checking in, once again, for my annual "touch bases"

Real Name
Joshua
the OP mentions ergonomic superiority of the GX8 over the GX9 - can someone list them?
This page might help to illustrate it.
  • Thicker finger grip.
    • Less hand clamping needed. I have carried the GX8 in one hand for hours on walking trips and never felt fatigued.
  • The shutter button sits on top of the grip.
    • This places it more naturally under your finger.
    • Less chance to accidentally change some other setting while reaching for it or while actuating the ring around the shutter.
  • Both have tilting viewfinders, but the GX8 viewfinder is one of the best ever put to a consumer camera.
    • GX8: OLED, 0.77x magnification, 4:3 aspect ratio.
    • GX9: Sequenced RGB, 0.70x magnification, 16:9 aspect ratio. (4:3 images are even smaller on this viewfinder.)
  • GX8 has a fully articulated rear display.
    • Easier to use when say shooting at odd angles.
    • Reverse (selfie) shots possible.
    • You can flip the display over to protect the screen surface.
  • Large knob and button on top.
    • Easier to use than the press-to-actuate thumb-wheel on the back of the GX9.
  • Extra button on the front near the lens.
    • Great for a fast actions such as toggling spot metering.

Real Name
Mike Peters
the OP mentions ergonomic superiority of the GX8 over the GX9 - can someone list them?
Bigger grip is much easier to hand hold, less crowded button layout making more room for your fingers. The whole package makes for less stressful hand holding. The other huge factor is the EVF. With the GX9, much like the GX7, I always felt as if was shooting half blind due to the tiny eyepiece and low fidelity screen. With the GX8 EVF it's like looking at an IMAX screen as where with the GX7 & 9 it's more like looking at a first generation iPhone from 3 feet away.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thx - nice but not sure if that's enough to overcome the other advs. of the GX9
GX9 has better IBIS, Dual IBIS 5-axis sensor
GX8’s bad shutter shock removed with GX9
GX8 lacks Post Focus stacking ability ??
GX9 allows geotagging with a phone via Bluetooth (battery saving)

(I have a G9 already so smaller size helps)

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thx - nice but not sure if that's enough to overcome the other advs. of the GX9

(I have a G9 already so smaller size helps)
The EVF was the clincher for me. I had, in order of acquisition, a GX8, G85, GX9 and G9. One had to go and all the other cameras had spoiled me with the EVF's such that I got used to easily reviewing pics and composing in there. For me the GX9 EVF was almost unusable for this and no amount of diopter adjustment helped. It was a lot more comfortable to hold once I got the handgrip and overall I loved the more advanced software features it had and I actually liked the tilt up screen for certain things, but that EVF just kep throwing me off my rhythm every time I used it. Ideally I would have sold the GX8 and kept the GX9 but alas. Now all my bodies are also weather resistant, if not my lenses.
Also I dont thik I've ever had an issue with the shuttershock. I just kept it on auto shutter all the time. The GX8 is like an old reliable senior friend. I'm very well acquainted with its strengths and weaknesses now so I can usually pull good pictures from it in any situation. Oh plus I have the eyecup and leather half-case on mine which makes it even more comfortable to use.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't understand the minimal gripitis thing that manfs. have. The grip needs to be no smaller than the thinest lens in the system.

OTOH, you can add on the accessory grip to the GX9 (tho I get that it will not make the shutter button better located).

Darmok N Jalad

Mu-43 Regular
I don't understand the minimal gripitis thing that manfs. have. The grip needs to be no smaller than the thinest lens in the system.

OTOH, you can add on the accessory grip to the GX9 (tho I get that it will not make the shutter button better located).
I agree. I had the GX85 as my first m43, and I just found it too small for my hands. The other pro of a fatter grip is a bigger battery!

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The GX8 is like an old reliable senior friend. I'm very well acquainted with its strengths and weaknesses now so I can usually pull good pictures from it in any situation.
That's the one thing that the GX8 scores higher on compared to my other cameras. It will take you to hell and back, and you'll have the pictures to prove it. Not many non-pro cameras enjoy the same level of confidence in them by their owners.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's the one thing that the GX8 scores higher on compared to my other cameras. It will take you to hell and back, and you'll have the pictures to prove it. Not many non-pro cameras enjoy the same level of confidence in them by their owners.
Remember , at one point the GX8 was Panasonic's Flagship photography camera. It might not have dual card slots but no Panasonic camera did until the GH5. So in the MFT lineup, the GX8 at the time was considerd Pro.
Since then It seems Panasonic has had issues with the durability of their bodies, specifically the the rubberized grips and adhesives used. My GX8 has been to hell and back including dropping on a concrete floor with a flash attached, luckily the half-case and the flash took most of the hit but there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with my GX8 after these past 3 years. Just get the gunk out and it keeps on clicking. In that regard I trust it absolutely.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I do like mine, it was the second house I bought in M43, the first one being the GX7. I kept both of those for a couple of years but ended up relying solely on the GX8. The GX80 was released a short time after the GX8 and I beat myself up over it, which seems to be somewhat of a trend for me. Do the heavy lifting cash-wise, get a new and more intriguing offering within a forthnight of that. Now running the GX8 and G9 after hating the latter for letting me down at its release, and getting stiffed on the GX9 which I never though would be a dumbing down, but so it is.

Dont think I will need to buy another camera anytime soon, atleast not for photography (I am somewhat intrigued by the GoPros and such).

What I would love to see was a Panasonic nudge towards the cult following of the GX8 with a firmware upgrade, offering the photocentric bits of the G9 2.0 upgrade. That would have been really nice, and as far as I can tell, somewhat on par with what Olympus have been doing. Not going to hold my breath for it, though.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
What I would love to see was a Panasonic nudge towards the cult following of the GX8 with a firmware upgrade, offering the photocentric bits of the G9 2.0 upgrade. That would have been really nice, and as far as I can tell, somewhat on par with what Olympus have been doing. Not going to hold my breath for it, though.
The entire Panasonic lineup could do with the menu upgrades that came out after the GH5:
  • My Menu
  • Min-Shtr Speed
  • EC in Manual /w Auto-ISO
etc

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Here is my scorecard on the two bodies (so far):

GX8 vs. GX9

favoring GX8:

GX9 lacks weather-sealing
GX9 tilting EVF has lower contrast, is smaller, 16:9 aspect ratio not 4:3
GX9 rear LCD is tilt only; GX8 has multi-angle
GX8 shutter button sits on top of the grip
GX8 has Extra button on the front near the lens

favoring GX9:
GX9 is smaller, slightly lighter

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's possible to do post focus stacking. I have used it a few times. But it's the focus bracketing that it lacks. That also means no RAW files either.

Real Name
Joshua
The GX8 can do focus stacking, it takes a series of 4K stills. You can extract a post-focused still on camera, or marge the images off camera. The GX9 apparently can do the merging in-camera.

The GX9 removed the ability to use an external microphone. Where the GX8 can use an external stereo mic. If you do both video and photos it makes a huge difference.

See the many, many threads regarding shutter shock on the GX8. It does exist for certain conditions, and shows under testing. It hardly ever shows as visible in actual photos unless a pixel peeping.

If Panasonic did come out with a GX8 Gen 2 that gained the good aspects listed above, without stripping other features, I would go for it. I bought the GX8 just a month after the GX9 came out and I don't regret it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom