GX8: Back Button AF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Granolatron, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Granolatron

Granolatron New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2015
    California
    I currently own a GX7 and this is my first post here. I love the GX7 and have it setup for back button autofocus. The button placement and ergonomics make this perfect for me — my thumb naturally rests right on top of the AF/AE Lock button.

For those who own or have handed the GX8: is it conducive to using back button AF? Are the AF/AE Lock or Fn5 (in the center of the focus mode switch) buttons easily reachable with a normal grip? My concern is that the AF/AE Lock button is too far to the right of the body—requiring one to pull in your thumb awkwardly to use all the time—and the Fn5 button is too much of a stretch to use on every shot.

Your experiences and thoughts are welcome.

2. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    In my experience and my hands, neither is a good solution. I find I am pinching the camera in what feels like a very insecure grip to use the AF/AE lock button, and as you say the fn5 button is too much of a stretch.

It is the one and only gripe I've so far found with the camera.

Simon.

3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    You might want to post your question on the already existing GX8 thread. Lots of GX8 users posting there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Granolatron

Granolatron New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2015
    California
    Thanks Simon. Seems to confirm my suspicions.

spdavies, good suggestion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.