GX8 and Olympus 12-40 2.8?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Akashi, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    I do more and more video and is therefor selling my E-M1. I am looking at the GX8 (or perhaps G7) as replacement, but I do not want to sell the 12-40 lens I have. I recon this the best normal zoom there is. Is the stab. in GX8 ok with this lens? Does it work fine or is it anything to be aware off using the 12-40 on panasonic gear (G7 or GX8)

2. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I've used the 12-40 on my gx7. No issues whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    How does stab work? I hear the the efv view is not stabilised, does it mean that it only works when releasing shutter?

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You might find the 12-35 better suited since it's got optical stabilisation in the lens.

5. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Yes, but I have the 12-40 and selling it to get the 12-35 would not be profitable :) besides my impression from reviews is that the olympus is the better lens.

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Optically there's nothing in it. The Panasonic is smaller and lighter though, but of course has a little less reach.

I run the 12-35 and it is an excellent lens. With the GX8, you'll also get DFD focusing and dual mode IS.

7. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Is the E-M1 video quality really that bad after the latest firmware? Have you considered the E-M5ii instead? Obviously if 4K is your thing then the GX8 or G7 are your only options, but if you only shoot in 1080p then the E-M5ii is a fine camera. I personally really like the tiltable EVF on my GX7 for shooting videos, and the GX8 shares this. It's a difficult choice between the E-M5ii and GX8, but if you like shooting primes as well then I'd probably switch to the E-M5ii to take advantage of IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You'll only get the limited in-body (not as good as Panasonic OIS, Dual-IS, or Olympus 5-axis IBIS) stabilisation when in stills mode, and only on shutter release (preview isn't stabilised). For what you intend to do, the more critical limitation is that it won't stabilise the 12-40 at all in video mode. That would be a deal breaker for me if I was trying to do video hand-held.

9. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Yes, I hear you. I am worried by this, hence my question which you confirmed. Bummer, I´ll look at the EM-5 MKII and how much the video is improved over the EM-1. I actually had an EM-5 (not MKII) but sold it because I didnt like the handling. It was very poor, switches moving all over the place.

Selling the 12-40 is a bad piece of business economic wise. I have to take a loss and the panasonic version is even more expensive new than the olympus. I also have the 75 1.8 so I guess staying with olympus makes sense. I love how the GX8 looks and that combined with the better video and the price difference between the 100-400 and the ol 300 makes panasonic look attractive to me. I will not buy the 300 2.8 (most likely) due to cost, but could go for the 100-400.

GAS and choices....

I guess that it is not THAT bad and I also freely admit that my post has a certain odour of GAS, but hey, that´s part of the hobby - changing gear :) I will find some reviews of the MKII, but in fact it is more expensive than the GX8 and panasonic has a cashback campaign running which makes this a attractive deal!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  10. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Are you sure? I was pretty sure the 12-40 is the better optical lens?

11. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I've used both and couldn't see any meaningful difference between them. The reviews say pretty much the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree that you should avoid switching between the Oly and Pan lenses if at all possible, there really isn't much in them optically but you'll stand to lose 15% if you sell through eBay or somewhere like that. I think you'd miss the extra 5mm at the long end and there's no avoiding the fact that the Oly feels better built with nice features like the manual focus clutch. However, the 12-35mm does go really well with Panasonic cameras and the OIS is very effective. No matter what anyone says, if you're a casual video shooter you NEED stabilisation. Unless shakey video is your thing you will find it very distracting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    We also have Oly 12-40/2.8 Pro and Lumix 12-35/2.8
    Personally I favor the Lumix based on weight alone.
    If there is an IQ difference I don't see it.
    Same with the 7-14mm, we have the Oly 7-14/2.8 and the Lumix 7-14.
    Here the decision is a bit tougher because I love the weight of the Lumix
    but often need the weather sealing of the Oly.
    Poof and I have tested these two side by side (the 7-14's) and cannot discern
    any IQ difference--in our eye they are both fantastic.

In video it is true the OMD m5ii has greatly improved. But truth is, and we've done this personally
    too so no internet repeat, when you shoot in 4k and downsample to 1080p the result is just
    better beginning with more info.
    Important? Maybe to some not to others. We watch on a 47" 4K monitor so it matters to us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1