1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 - Your preferred settings

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by brettmaxwell, Sep 19, 2013.

1. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I just got mine and everything is looking great so far. It's my first Panasonic (Nikon SLRs and OMD previously) so a lot of the menu stuff is unfamiliar to me. What kind of stuff are you guys changing in the settings?

The one thing I'm really wanting and haven't figured out yet is the EVF vs. back display selection. I don't want to use the eye-sensor. I want to shoot photos through the EVF, but review them on the back screen (and menu on the back screen), by default with no button presses to go back and forth. My OMD can be set up this way, the X100 I previously owned could be set up this way, I can't find the appropriate settings on the GX7. Any ideas?

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Congratulations on receiving your GX7 !
    I think you might be one of the first to receive your camera (I assume this was a pre order)
    I haven't picked up on anyone else here reporting that they having theirs yet so I dont think you will get much response just yet
    Hope you enjoy using it
    Regards
    Rob

3. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    That's alright, I'll explore the menus more, and I can wait. I figured this could become an ongoing thread for people to figure out their GX7 as they start trickling in.

4. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes, I would like to do that as well. See histogram response etc.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    This is for the GH3, but I imagine the menus and settings are very similar. You might find it helpful:

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2013/04/lumix-gh3-review-part-10-setting-up.html

I don't think you can do this.

6. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    That's disappointing.

I've gone through every single menu two more times and don't see anything I'm missing. But perhaps the real deal-breaker here is that you can't actually turn the eye sensor off!! There's an option to turn it 'off', but that just makes it so the camera doesn't use it to switch between back screen and EVF, but it still turns the EVF off when your face is away from the camera. that may make sense for power saving, but when you bring your face to the camera there's a delay before it turns on that I find unacceptable.

The main reason I got the GX7 (instead of, say, a EP5) is I insist on having a good viewfinder. It's not a good viewfinder if it's not ready for me the moment I put my eye to it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Ive posted on another thread here my experience with the evf. But apparently you can't shoot through the evf and check on the LCD its either all in the evf or the LCD or go back and forth with the fn4 button or have the automatic sensor. That is something that sucks and can't believe they skipped.

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I agree with you. That is unacceptable for this type of camera. Specially when they went for a 'rangefinder' type of camera were the evf is crucial to be ready-to-go all the time. And is not. A firmware would fix it though.

9. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I have the automatic sensor enabled but I'm finding that my nose is changing the autofocus point on the touchscreen when I have the camera to my eye, even though the screen is off.

(I'm left-eye dominant so I shoot with the left - cameras and projectile weapons both)

10. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    There's an option to turn that off.

11. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Allegedly so. Still trying to find it :(

To be fair, I've been playing computer games instead of poring through the manual all evening, so it hasn't been an exhaustive hunt yet.

12. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Congratulations!

Have fun with your new camera! Despite a few quirks, it seems like a pretty good addition to the M43 world.

Dan

13. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    I'm really bummed actually. I think I'll be sticking with my OMD. There are some design and technical features I prefer on the GX7, but I'm very particular about things like how the viewfinder works and a few other things that are probably insignificant to most.

14. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I believe the link in post #5 will help you find that option.

15. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Sadly not, unless you consider switching the touch screen off permanently (as he has) to be an acceptable workaround.

However, found it: [Custom] -> [Touch Settings] -> [Touch Pad AF]
    I'd set it to "on" as using the touchpad to precisely set focus point is 90% of the benefit of a touch screen on a camera, without realising that the camera was already configured to do that, with that particular setting enabling the ability to do it while using the viewfinder.

My own fault for playing with the camera settings without reading the manual.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    The more I read these reports on the GX7 by "disappointed" users (and I use quotes because everyone still agrees its a great cameras but the little quirks and flaws seem to be big for people that rely on EVF a LOT).

The more I am debating whether I should just get another EM5 (found 2 MINT condition ones around the $600 no tax mark) or get this GX7 (almost double the price with taxes)....

Care to advise me? :)

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Be sure those "reports" are by people who have actually USED the camera, and not just repeating hearsay.

The images I have seen posted by the few users here who have a GX7 are pretty amazing - looks like the sensor is a real improvement.

18. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    This is a little disappointing. Will be interesting to see how many return the GX7...

I still can't decide wether to sell my Recently acquired OMD for the GX7...

19. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Right absolutely - the images do look fantastic. But if this EVF lag issue (reported by real users) along with other reports (again from people who have actually used it) that the EVF on EM-5 is still better has me thinking.
    And the cost difference mentioned above obviously doesn't help haha

20. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I'll be happy to advise you. Unless you absolutely, positively, have a need to have two bodies in the next couple of weeks, and cannot wait because of an assignment or trip, WAIT!

Wait until you can get your hands on one yourself. The annoyances that bother other people you may decide don't bother you at all. OTOH, there may be something that drives you crazy that no one else has mentioned.

My advice is to not buy a camera based on what someone else has said after a day or two of use. Or even a week or two of use.