1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 with Lightroom 4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by garethld, Sep 22, 2013.

1. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    Do I need to download a new plugin or something?
    I can't import my raw files??

2. MitchHamilton

MitchHamilton Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    LR4 does not support GX7 RAW natively, you'd need to use Adobe DNG converter and import the DNG files or upgrade to LR5.2

• Like Like x 2
  3. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    Thought as much.... Upgrade it is!

4. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Fantastic! I was intending to upgrade to LR5 anyway, so this is an excellent coincidence and justification :)

5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Did you have any issues upgrading LR to 5.2? I have seen a lot of issues online different people have had and have not been able to install the LR5.2 update. Most seem to be Windows error messages that generally state that the software cannot be installed. I am picking up LR5 this week and hope the install goes as smoothly as for earlier versions.

Mike

6. MitchHamilton

MitchHamilton Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    Upgraded to 5.2 without issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    im a mac user myself but all went fine... now running that latest version - doesnt seem that different so £50 really just added on to the expense of the GX7 to access my RAW files.... doh!

8. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Everyone wants their slice of the pie. This seems to be the way of everything these days.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I had no issues whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  10. O2BanRRT

O2BanRRT Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Waterloo, Ontario (Canada)
    Jean
    Lightroom 5.2 - not perfect

I have had issues with 5 and they were not improved by 5.2

It's a great development tools but as soon as I go into "slideshow" or try to view a video Lightroom crashes. Adobe says it's a known bug and they will eventually fix it!

I know Lightroom is not a video editor and I use it primarily for exposure setting ... I still use ver 4 for that until they fix it :(

YMMV

Jean

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Not for me. The radial filter is worth that alone. And I'm loooooooving the smart previews. I don't expect Adobe to provide endless upgrades for new camera profiles for free. Especially as LR upgrade is cheaper than some of the plug ins (yes, I'm looking at you OnOne).

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  12. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I upgraded to LR 5.2 without any major issues. I had to wait a while to have my student status confirmed by Adobe in order to have a serial number issued. Until then I couldn't install the 5.2 update. The radial filter is a very handy tool! I used the OnOne Photo Suite with LR4. Watch for their specials and you can pick up the OnOne suite at half price or less.

Mike

13. Westcoast

Westcoast Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2013
    I bought LR4 in May. It is great for my Canon 5D but now that I bought the GX7 I am forced to buy LR5. It really chokes me that software that is 4 months old is no longer useable with newer cameras. There is no reason they can't update the raw modules in LR4 just as they do in CS5. Adobe says too bad, just convert your raw to DNG and you can use LR4. Yet another process in my workflow.
    How many of you use DNG on a regular basis?

I could use bridge still, but I really started to like LR4 for sorting through lots of photos in a hurry.

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Manufacturers are partly to blame. If they would all just use DNG for RAW files, we wouldn't have to keep upgrading LR.

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Even if they continue to use proprietary formats, and just leave them the same over time. There's no reason a GX7, GH3, GH2, etc. can't use exactly the same raw format.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Westcoast

Westcoast Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2013
    I Agree, it would be nice if they all used DNG or kept their format consistent.

I'll keep using Bridge for a while, I knoe eventually I will cave and pay the 80 bucks to Adobe for the upgrade, but it shouldn't have to be this way.

Those of you using LR5.2 are there some major changes you notice that really make it worth the upgrade? Is it more responsive in rendering views?

Thanks

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  17. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Isn't there any way to use LR4 with a GX7?

I apologize in advance because I realize and understand that this may be a dead issue, or that I may merely be metaphorically 'beating a dead horse' here, but ----

Is there ANY SIMPLE WAY, either now or in the foreseeable future, to use Lightroom 4 / LR4 with GX7 files?

Without having to use some other program to first convert them?

I'm asking because I am an extremely happy LR4 user - and for a number of reasons, including bug reports and seriously bad user experience reports, I'm leery of upgrading to LR5, for any reason.

BUT....I'm also considering buying a GX7 body. And it would be really nice to be able to continue using LR4 with it.

Am I living in a dream world?

Miguel:confused:

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Miguel:

The only ways to use the GX7 with LR4 is to use another program to convert the files into a format LR4 understands, or to shoot jpg.

LR 5.2, which is out now, seems to have resolved virtually all the bugs that were reported in 5.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

One other problem with LR 5.2 vs LR4

Thanks, meyerweb, appreciate the quick and concise answer. I think for me, the simple solution, if I want to process GX7 files in LR4, will have to be downloading the latest/newest (free) version of Adobe DNG Converter - and using it to 'convert' the out-of-camera files (RAW).

The reason why LR5 or LR 5.2 isn't a viable option for me - has to do with a combination of hardware and software. I'm a writer by trade and use several Mac computers (a desktop and a laptop) for all of my writing work, as well as for running Lightroom. The current/newer Mac OS sytems - OS x 10.7 and 10.8 - have been shunned by a large number of Mac users, myself included, because essentially they 'dumbed down' a lot of the cooler and more powerful aspects of the Mac OS - in order to make them resemble iOS or iPhone/iPad Operating Sytem/s. Apple did this because it sells a lot more iPhones - and iPads - than laptops or computers these days, and the the Apple marketing geniuses theorized that offering a slicker lower-common-denominator OS targeted principally at new generations of Mac users....would help them sell more Apps.

And, while the theory may be true, a large number of folks who use Macs for writing and assorted (editing/publishing/etc) tasks - prefer the elegance, simplicity and power of the previous Mac OS which was 10.6.

Well....guess what? LR 4 was the last version of Lightroom to be fully compatible with all Mac OS systems. The newer generation, LR 5, only works with Macs running the newer (more powerful - and, alas, more dumbed down) OS versions.

So, unless I choose to upgrade my computer's entire OS - and basically, probably Hell will freeze over before I am dragged, kicking and screaming, to this eventuality - my only choice, if I want to use a GX7....is to convert its digital negatives with DNG to a format that LR 4 supports.

Whew. Sorry for the rant. And I imagine I'm in the minority of Mac users who are also hardcore Lightroom fans. But in some ways, all this may be indicative of writing on a wall....which I find depressing.

It's not the upgrade cost.

It's the idea that modernization requires a lemming-like leap of faith over the edge of a software cliff....to a place I really don't want to go.

Adobe DNG....here I come.

20. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I did upgrade to 5.2. No problems on the upgrade and it's coping perfectly well with the (Edit: Name of camera removed as I don't want to advertise some American fucking shopping site and someone's gone and updated my post with an affiliate link) RAWs.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015