1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 with DMW-FL360 flash problems

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by damnilocano, Dec 8, 2015.

1. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    I use my DMW-FL360 flash every now and then with my GX7 and find that it doesn't fire all the time.

Could the batteries (using black Eneloops) drain while in the flash? I always keep a spare set in my bag and it's still hit or miss.

Any ideas? I've owned it for too long to return. Maybe I just got a dud?

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Dirty contacts?

3. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    That never dawned on me! I'll give it a try. I do keep the hot shoe uncovered most of the time.

4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Shouldn't be a thing to do with self discharge assuming they aren't counterfeit eneloops (there's a 180 day discharge graph here which seems to show decent performance).

Are you using it on the shoe or as a remote flash? Is it something that happens at random - as in potentially the first try won't work - or is it only under load? The caps on it will only charge so fast at such and such an ideal temperature range - do you get the 'ready' prompt when it's ready to fire and then it fails, or are you blasting away with it and noticing that it fails to fire every so often?

5. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Using it in the shoe with eneloops purchased from Amazon, NewEgg and even in-store at Costco. This past weekend, I used it to light up some faces in a darker area and the flash wouldn't fire. There was enough time while family members switched out for the flash to get "ready". Pretty embarrassing when the first shot goes off with the flash, then repose and 5-6 shots with no flash.

6. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Tested the flash last night and I think it has to do with the contacts. I had to push the flash down towards the contacts. Seemed to work after that. Hopefully that solved the problem.
    Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    You could try cleaning the contacts with some rubbing alcohol and Q-tips.

Barry