1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 with 20mm f/1.7 II for 597.99 (silver and black)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ragde, Jul 3, 2015.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Canadian retailers are taking advantage of the strength of the US dollar (USD) relative to the Canadian dollar (CDN$). The numerical price for many products tends to be the same in the US and Canada because, most of the time, the USD and CDN$ are pretty close par (a few years ago the CDN$ was actually worth slightly more than the USD). For example, a product priced at $999 USD in the US will be priced $999 CDN$ in Canada. Currently, the CDN$ is about 20% weaker against the USD. This means that $999 CDN$ is $799 USD, so this is not a sale. This is a Canadian retailer simply advertising equipment at full Canadian MSRP in USD.

So if you see a Canadian address, as in this case, the retailer (and the equipment they are selling) is most likely legitimate. For those interested in taking advantage of the exchange rate to pick up some equipment from Canada, even if it is not listed on ebay, I highly recommend Henrys (www.henrys.com), a large Canadian photography retailer. Henrys is a brick and mortar company and they have been around since 1909. They have stores across Canada so if you live near the border or are planning a trip to Canada, it could be worth it to stop at one of their stores. Another good place is The Camera Store (http://www.thecamerastore.com/). I became aware of them through their many YouTube reviews of Mu43 equipment. If you haven't seen the reviews, they are worth checking out. They are informative and entertaining. All Canadian retailers will ship to the USA. Check with the retailer before buying, but most Canadian retailers will help you out if there is a warranty issue. You will likely have to ship it back to the Canadian retailer, but at least there is a warranty, which is better than a gray market product.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. ragde

ragde Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2015

3. ragde

ragde Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2015
    Checking Henry's, the black gx7 with 20mm II is listed for CAD $899, which is about US $715 (checkout does allow to select other countries). The camera store does not have the gx7 and shipping is only within Canada anyway (FAQ says:

Q: Do you ship to countries other than Canada?

A: No, we only deliver physical products to Canada.

)

It really seems that gx7+20mm II for US $598 is a good deal, and it says it has a 1-year warranty.

I have no relation/interest to/in quickndone.

4. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I didn't realize Camera Store won't ship to the USA. I stand corrected. Henrys will ship to the USA - I was thinking a buying a used lens from them and confirmed that they ship to the USA in their policies. In addition, Henrys sells on ebay, though mostly used stuff. The Camera Store videos are still worth checking out.

The 1 year warranty is a Canadian warranty and they will probably help with warranty claims but it is not valid the USA. I would just confirm that they will help with warranty. Henrys will help with warranty as they put it in their ebay ads.

I am not affiliated with any retailer - just a former Canadian explaining why the prices are good and the products legitimate. When these deals from canadian retailers are posted, people often ask whether the product is legitimate and why the prices are so good.

The $597 is a good deal - looks to be a discount even over the Canadian price.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015