GX7 vs E-M1 - the comparison everyone wants except me :)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by T N Args, Jan 14, 2014.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I see mirrorlessons just put the GX7 and the E-M1 head-to-head. They concluded in brief:

They then listed reasons to pick one over the other, really being whether you have more use for one's unique features.

* The reason that I don't want the comparison, is because the GX7 is actually naturally matched to the P series not the M series. It's like a comparo of the D800 with the M9 (I exaggerate, but you get my point).

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Actually, I don't get your point. Both cameras share a lot, and truly are different in form factor only. I own both, and the GX7 is my daily carry, where as the E-M1 is used more so when my plans are centred around photography. The only caveat being if I'm using the 7-14, then I use the GX7 exclusively to avoid the purple blobs.

3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's as simple as 1-2-3 for me...

1. pick one
    2. master either's rich feature-set and high-performance image quality
    3. go out and take pictures!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 6
  4. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I have the EM1 because I like available light photography and my wife just got the GX7 because she does more video than me. Both are great cameras. The GX7 is way sexier but I prefer the EM1 in my hands. I like both. Prefer the feel of the Olympus but that is me.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Then the GX7 seems to be way underpriced, and the E-P5 completely unnecessary.

Surely the E-P5 is the natural competitor for the GX7? Yet that is a comparison rarely discussed, compared to GX7 vs E-M5.

6. At the moment, if I look at the prices advertised from various sources in Australia the E-P5 seems to be around $100 less than the GX7 when purchased as body only but does not include the VF-4 viewfinder. As prime lens kits (17mm on the E-P5, 20mm on the GX7), the prices are in the vicinity of $1250 - $1300 where the E-P5 includes the VF-4 which makes them just about even. The E-P5 was also briefly available for < $1100 in October last year with the 17mm and VF-4 which was a bargain then and would still be a bargain now.

If we go by the fact that a built-in viewfinder means the E-M5 is the direct competitor to the GX7 then the comparison is skewed by the E-M5 being almost two years old and has dropped a little in price as a result but also lacks a little in specification (only 1/4000 shutter for instance) but conversely is weather-sealed.

I think that the Olympus camera that you would compare directly to the GX7 is whichever one you want to compare it to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I chose the GX7 for rangefinder design and tiltable viewfinder, other than that the E-M1 does have the 5 axis IBIS....

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.