1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 vs E-M1 - the comparison everyone wants except me :)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by T N Args, Jan 14, 2014.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I see mirrorlessons just put the GX7 and the E-M1 head-to-head. They concluded in brief:

They then listed reasons to pick one over the other, really being whether you have more use for one's unique features.

* The reason that I don't want the comparison, is because the GX7 is actually naturally matched to the P series not the M series. It's like a comparo of the D800 with the M9 (I exaggerate, but you get my point).

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Actually, I don't get your point. Both cameras share a lot, and truly are different in form factor only. I own both, and the GX7 is my daily carry, where as the E-M1 is used more so when my plans are centred around photography. The only caveat being if I'm using the 7-14, then I use the GX7 exclusively to avoid the purple blobs.

3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's as simple as 1-2-3 for me...

1. pick one
    2. master either's rich feature-set and high-performance image quality
    3. go out and take pictures!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 6
  4. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I have the EM1 because I like available light photography and my wife just got the GX7 because she does more video than me. Both are great cameras. The GX7 is way sexier but I prefer the EM1 in my hands. I like both. Prefer the feel of the Olympus but that is me.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Then the GX7 seems to be way underpriced, and the E-P5 completely unnecessary.

Surely the E-P5 is the natural competitor for the GX7? Yet that is a comparison rarely discussed, compared to GX7 vs E-M5.

6. At the moment, if I look at the prices advertised from various sources in Australia the E-P5 seems to be around $100 less than the GX7 when purchased as body only but does not include the VF-4 viewfinder. As prime lens kits (17mm on the E-P5, 20mm on the GX7), the prices are in the vicinity of $1250 - $1300 where the E-P5 includes the VF-4 which makes them just about even. The E-P5 was also briefly available for < $1100 in October last year with the 17mm and VF-4 which was a bargain then and would still be a bargain now.

If we go by the fact that a built-in viewfinder means the E-M5 is the direct competitor to the GX7 then the comparison is skewed by the E-M5 being almost two years old and has dropped a little in price as a result but also lacks a little in specification (only 1/4000 shutter for instance) but conversely is weather-sealed.

I think that the Olympus camera that you would compare directly to the GX7 is whichever one you want to compare it to.

• Like Like x 1
  7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I chose the GX7 for rangefinder design and tiltable viewfinder, other than that the E-M1 does have the 5 axis IBIS....

• Like Like x 1