1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 vs anything else

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by amphibulous, Dec 20, 2015.

1. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    I'm looking for a camera that gives me:

1 Better flash capability than my GM1 (not hard, I know)

2 At least equal video, with quality on a tripod/monopod being more important than stabilization (or I'd buy an EM-5)

3 Good support for legacy lenses for stills. So focus peaking and in-body stabilization.

4 A reasonable number of customizable buttons

5 No major flaws

6 used bodies at reasonable prices in the UK. (Say 200-250 pounds and easily found on ebay.)

I think that 2 combined with 4 seems to rule out Olympus options; 3 rules out the G6; 4 rules out the GX8 and G7. Comments, suggestions, advice???

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    E-M10?

About the flash: consider an external one, the pop-up is quite limited anyway (power and orientation/location). GM1 flash is not much different from other flashes:
    GM1: 4m ISO 100
    E-M10: 5.8m ISO 100
    FL-300R: 20m ISO 100

3. amphibulous

Dec 16, 2015
    I appreciate the reply, but it would help if you explained why, given what I stated above about video. Eg the bad rep Olly have for moire. Are you saying that you've the used camera and it doesn't have this problem? Have you seen the problem on other em's, tried to duplicate it, and can't? Or you have evidence from a review that the em10 has solved this problem? Or is just that you'ved heard of the em10 and know that it has video? There's a big difference between these!

Yes, external flash - thank you for the suggestion, although I believe I had already of that - but the GM1 doesn't have a hotshoe. And the extremely low power built-in flash makes using an optical slave problematic, yes? Also the synch speed is only 1/60 as opposed to the GX7's 1/320, limiting fill-in in natural light - the same flash has about 2.5 times more fill-in power on GX7 than the GM1, even assuming the GM1 could trigger a slave in sunlight.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    No need to get upset, mine was just a suggestion based on the short and generic points you wrote..

No way I could have figured out that you consider Oly video quality unusable and the hot-shoe detail.

Hope others could be more helpful, good luck with your search.

5. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I fear the G7 has too many customizable buttons (six?) - it will take me months to decide what to assign to each one! :p So I guess I agree, having so many is unreasonable.. but in-body stabilization and Panasonic put you in the GX line for sure.

6. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Are you keeping the GM1? How about the GM1 for video and something Olympus for everything else?

Otherwise, your requirement #2 (no olympus) and #3 (IBIS) leaves you with the GX-7 and the GX-8 as your only options. And #6 eliminates the GX-8.

Although the GX-7 flash is only negligibly better than the GM1 so #1 might even rule it out as well...

7. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    There's a definite bias towards Olympus on this forum, but I've had both brands- am brand-agnostic for the most part- and find things about both brands I enjoy and wish could be improved. With that said, though Olympus has made strides with their video codecs, they're still not in the same league with that of Panasonic when stabilized on a tripod. Given your requirements, I'd go with the GX7. It's got a built-in flash (rather than the fiddly little add-on Olympus provides and one easily forgets or loses), great video capabilities, focus peaking/legacy lens support, a good number of configurable buttons (and much better LCD touchscreen use than Olympus), no major flaws, and prices seem more reasonable than used Olympus gear. Only negatives in my mind are that the IS isn't as good as that from Oly (not by a long shot), there's no IS for video (a great feature for Oly), and it doesn't have weather sealing. Still, those items aren't on your wishlist. As such, the GX7 would be my vote for you. It's a great compact camera that I suspect would've been even better received had it had an Olympus logo on it ; )

• Like Like x 1
  8. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    So I'm on my 5th Panasonic body (2 of which were bought to get the kit lens and resold.) I *just* got my first Olympus body (refurb E-M1 on Cyber Monday) and haven't had a chance to shoot seriously with it yet.

But if one of your requirements is to have in-body stabilization for use with legacy lenses, then Olympus seems the most likely candidate. (Of course, the legacy lenses weren't originally used with stabilization!)

9. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    What do you consider a reasonable number of customizable buttons?

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    So, what is your question? What remains other than the GX7? What is the purpose of your post given that it appears that you excluded every camera but the GX7?

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Google amphibulous...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, and he has been busy, 56 posts since he joined on Wednesday. He does know cameras though.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  13. amphibulous

Dec 16, 2015
    The purpose is that there might be something about one of the alternatives that I don't know, eg one of the Ollys might have 5-axis stabilization and have fixed the moire problem. Or there might be a problem with using the GX7 for my purposes that I'm unaware of.

..Isn't this how people are supposed to ask questions? Do the research as well as you can first, and then ask as clearly as possible for the stuff you've not been able to absolutely nail down?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The GX7 is an easy camera to love, from my point of view.

For me, its only major flaw is the lack of Auto ISO in M Mode. Beyond that, it comfortably gets out of the way and does what you want it to. I don't notice that the IBIS is superb, but as far as legacy lenses goes, Panasonic has the best manual-focus aids of any digital camera (in my humble opinion) which was a major reason for my purchase of it. The focus peaking implementation and touch-magnification put it in another class of usability compared to all the competitors.

Video-wise, I do very little, and the higher bit-rate 1080p60 is decent quality but doesn't blow me away. But it's only marginal higher bit than the 1080p30, so that should have better quality. But I've never done any back-to-back comparisons.

15. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    new GX7 off ebay for $390US from japan sounds like your best bet. Then pick up external flash and keep the GM1.

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    OK, please accept my apologies for thinking that you were playing with us. I have a friend who has both the GX7 and GX8. Based on your questions, I think that the GX7 is an excellent camera when used with Panasonic lenses. Not sure about the number of customizable buttons as that is too subjective. I don't believe that the stabilization works with video with the GX7. I think that you would have to move up to a newer body, specifically the GX8 or E-M5 II to get a substantially better body than the GX7.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  17. amphibulous

Dec 16, 2015
    dorn: I KNOW that the GX7 ibis doesn't work in video mode - that's in my OP! As I said, I prefer that to the Olly alternative of moire and firmly believe that video cameras belong on supports.

The purpose of my stating my assumptions was to find out if any of them was wrong. This is what reasonable people do, surely? Why should doing research before posting be considered baiting? Is there an anti-research thing here? Someone in another thread is angry I've disrepected his vast experience as a forum poster by providing links on a type of camera he owns. (He's had it for a week..)

Re the GX8: I don't want to spend that much money - I'm buying a Sigma Merrill and some legacy glass (that sounds so much cooler than lenses) and lighting gear, etc. I'd only upgrade the GX7 body for a definite and relevant improvement, which I don't see. Oh, 4K would be nice - but not enough to spend several times more than the would cost.

18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, you did not directly. Good look with your research, unwatching this thread.

19. amphibulous

Dec 16, 2015
    I think it was reasonably covered - and my lack of need for the capability certainly was - by

2 At least equal video, with quality on a tripod/monopod being more important than stabilization (or I'd buy an EM-5)