1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Viewfinder Question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RamblinR, Sep 12, 2016.

1. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I'm thinking of picking up a secondhand GX7. Like the RF form.

I previously had a G6 and I didn't like the EVF. It was like a tunnel (sort of) and I found the same with the GH3.

Is the GX7 like this or is it like the EM1? Thanks

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's probably the worst in that regard, sadly. GX85 has the same finder, too.

3. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    Oh. Do you get used to it? Why are they like this, seems really poor.

Those with a GX7 and an OMD, do you find its OK after a while ... you sort of adapt?

With the G6 I couldn't seem to get a clear image even if I adjusted it always seems soft. Is the GX7 like this also>

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I've briefly tried GX7's a couple of times, and I didn't like the VF enough to discourage me from considering it as a second or travel body.

It's a 16x9 display, which crops heavily to show 4x3 for stills.

The GX8 is completely different, although the body is larger.
    Or the Pen F...

5. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    The GX7 VF is pretty bad IMO. It is nothing like the current OM-Ds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The main problem is just the screen ratio. It's a 16:9 EVF on a camera that shoots 4:3 natively. If you set your camera in 16:9, it gets nice and large.

Of course, yes, in the way that most of us use our cameras in 4:3 for stills, it's pretty bad compared to most.

7. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Yes, the GX7 finder is probably the worst in the last generations of four thirds. Even the original EM5 was better. Personally it doesn't bother me much. I hear that the GX80 has the same finder, but from comparing right next to each other, it did seem slightly better. Probably not enough if the finder in the GX7 was a dealbreaker though.

8. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    For the OP's purpose, anybody have any direct experience going from the G6 or GH3 viewfinder to the GX7/GX85 finder?

And for me, anybody have any direct experience going from the G5 viewfinder to the GX7/GX85 finder? (I find the G5 satisfactory, if not amazing, and am slowly working myself up to buy a GX85.)

9. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    My dad has a G6. For what it's worth, I find the G6 finder better than the GX7, so if you don't like the G6 one, the GX7 is not an option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    I have both. The GX7 is a very good camera, its viewfinder is probably the weakest part.
    But yes, I adapt. The GX7 is not very big, tunnel-like, and has awful colours; the OM-D viewfinders are definitely superior, especially on the E-M5 Mk II (or the E-M1 I suppose). Anyway, the GX7 viewfinder is usable. It might be a problem if you were glasses though.

I recently bought the eyecup. I'm not sure it is much better. It hides the outside world, so I'm not distracted, the tunnel effect is less annoying. But I don't like the sensation of the cup touching my eye...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

12. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    The tiltability of the GX7 viewfinder is a feature whose usefulness more than makes up for the technical demerits other people are moaning about.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I haven't used a GX7, but it seems to me that for some people, visibility of the EVF is poor and they'd rather have a fixed EVF that is higher quality.

In my case, I am specifically interested in going from a G5 to a GX85. As I understand it, the GX85 viewfinder is the same as the GX7's (or very similar), but does not tilt.

Still haven't heard from anybody going from a G5 to a GX7 or GX85 yet. I suspect that for my purposes it would be fine, but am still interested in real-world experience.

14. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    I went from a G3 to a GX7. The G3's is noticeably larger, it wasn't until I got the GX7 (and used a friends Canon 7D) that I realized how large the G3's viewfinder image was. G3's was much lower resolution (not sure when in the G series they increased it), so that's a plus for the GX7 especially for the clarity of the text and graphics and the manual focus aids. If I had to choose I'd take the "good enough" quality and larger size of the G3 over the GX7's.

That said people need to understand it's a tradeoff. You aren't going to get a camera the size of the GX7 with the same size rear screen and a larger viewfinder. You're just not. There is a reason every camera that people say has a larger/better VF than GX7 is a taller camera - either a "big" rangefinder style or an SLR-style with a hump. For me, the tradeoff for the GX7's other features was well worth it.

jeff

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's high res but small . I wish Panasonic would learn from Sony how to stuff large viewfinder into their small rangefinder style cameras.

16. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada
    Sony should also learn from Panasonic to include a 3:2 LCD instead of a 16:9 LCD :)
    Is there a rangefinder body from any manufacture that has a good, large EVF and a 3:2 screen? X-E2s perhaps? But I think the LCD is fixed on the Fuji

17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    GX8?

18. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Canada

Yea, thought about that after posting. But it's a size bigger than GX85/A6000

19. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    So, I went to the local Best Buy, where I played with the GX85, G7, and E-M10 ii (the E-M5 ii and GH4 were also on display, but I didn't play with them).

I first played with the GX85 and found the EVF acceptable. The teardrop thing didn't bother me and the colors and whatnot were vibrant enough. Then I played with the G7 and the EVF was just way bigger. Blew the GX85 out of the water. So, for the original poster, I'd say that if s/he was not happy with the G6, to stay away from the GX85.

I'd say that the E-M10 ii felt closer to the G7 than to the GX85 -- it wasn't quite as good as the G7, but it was plenty good. I did not take my G5 into the store with me, but now looking at it, I think the G5 is much closer to the E-M10 ii than to the GX7.

Put another way, G7 > E-M10 ii > G5 > GX85. All of that said, for me, the GX85 was acceptable, especially if I didn't look at it right after looking at the G7!

Off topic: I was surprised by how much I liked the ergonomics of the E-M10 ii. It was the thumb rest in the back that made it more comfortable to hold than the GX85 -- at least with my relatively small hands, it makes the camera very comfortable. Regardless, I'll almost certainly end up with one of the Panasonics because I own mostly Panasonic lenses and the 20/1.7 is my favorite lens, and I want the fastest focusing speed possible, as well as the potential to do better video.

20. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    A reference link confirms that my impressions: Mirrorless EVF Sizes | Neocamera

All said, between the GX85 and new G85, price will probably be my tiebreaker. I like the EVF and ergonomics of the G series, but like the size and looks of the GX series. Whichever is cheaper will win out.