1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 Video Question - Need help understanding please

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iceman73, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Iceman73

Iceman73 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    London
    Hi all,
    Kindly excuse my idiocracy with this but my confusion is killing me.
    Since I got the GX7, it's taken me quie some time to get used to it. I shoot more stills than video, but lately have been very interested in the art of videography. My main reason of not moving from canon to m43 was because of the avchd codec. I had a nex 5n once and it was a work round in post so I just gave up on it.
    The gx7 takes great video, but the videos look better in avchd than mp4. AVCHD has options of

- 1920x1080 24p image sensor output 24p @ 24mbps which results in frame size of 720x480

- 1920x1080 50i image sensor output 25p@ 24mbps which results in frame size of 720x480

- 1920x1080 50i image sensor output 50p @17mbps which results in frame size of 1920x1080

- 1920x1080 50p image sensor output 50p @28mbps which results in frame size of 1920x1080

Why does the frame size reduce to 720x480 - and my preferred mode of shooting is 24p @24mbps (wish it was 28mbps - but I guess thats where the gh3 comes in)
    I've gone back and cheked all my videos shot with the eos m at 1920x1080 @24p and the frame size is 1920x1080

Is this a manufacturer fault or am I just hitting my head against a brick wall???

Someone's kind input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you
    Anand

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    where are you seeing this reduced frame size?..... on your computer?....what video software are you using?

think we need a little more info about the workflow

K

3. Iceman73

Iceman73 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    London
    thank you kevin for replying. This frame size is seen on my computer once the video is imported. Have to encode it first from AVCHD to MOV before throwing into AE for post.
    See image:
    Desktop PRSCR_1.

Thanks
    Anand

4. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmmm

I dont actually have a Gx-7.... so i cant do any real world testing...

are you sure the file is actually 720x480 or is windows just reporting it as that size?

720 x 480 is a standard definition file dimension, not a HD definition dimension

sorry cant be of more help.... but I concur that something isn't right

cheers

K

5. Iceman73

Iceman73 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    London
    Thank you for the info. It is windows reporting this. Have yet to get an encoder to confirm. Is there any other way to find out? I don't want to get an encoder unless I have to. I'm hoping windows is reporting wrong, as the video does not look SD.
    Thanks
    Anand

6. natex

natex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    Use vlc, ffmpeg, or mplayer to check the size. (these are all free decoders). If you want to, post a very small video file somewhere, and I will check for you.

7. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    It looks like you have VLC installed on your machine.... That orange traffic cone icon at the bottom left of the preview tells me that....and a computer monitor that has more than 1000 pixels across....so double click to play the movie clip in VLC making sure "normal Size" is selected from the Video menu.

if it fils your screen and beyond, then its just Windows lying about the dimensions, if it is smaller than the full size of your screen then there is another issue

K

8. bradbrooks

bradbrooks New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2013
    Just yesterday I was doing some testing with my GX7 and shot both AVCHD and mp4. I have not had any problems dropping either file type into AE or PR. Also, I was trying an unscientific test to see if I could tell a difference between the two formats for editing. I brought them into the sequence and scaled them both up 200% (to simulate an extreme secondary camera cut that I might use in editing). I was very pleased and could not see a visible difference between the two formats. I also, went back and verified that my mp4 file is recognized as 1920X1080 so not sure why windows shows yours differently.
    Hope the info helps.

9. Iceman73

Iceman73 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    London
    Thank you everyone for coming back. I will be checking once again tomorrow and report back.
    My monitor is full HD, and vlc playback of the video is very smooth, it does fill up the screen, but have to check whether I've selected it to play at normal size or just fill screen. And if it is windows 7 messing up the reading of the file properties, then its only doing so with the ones I mentioned previously.
    Thank you all, and I will report back tomorrow.

Anand

10. Iceman73

Iceman73 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2012
    London
    GX7_Video_WIN_Filesize_probref2.

After further research, Windows seems to be reporting a different size frame opposed to VLC as you can see above. I wonder if this is similar to the one in this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56269 (where the OS is not picking up the right info the canera is reportng)...
    Anyone's take on this might shed some light to my doubting brain.

Thankikng you
    Anand