1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 video playing speed up (noob alert)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Feb 7, 2016.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I knowingly bought a parallel GX7 intended for a PAL friendly market since that's really all that's available now. We run NTSC here in HK, but I didn't think that stuff mattered with computers and all the different players available. I thought that Pal/NTSC stuff mostly applied to VHS/Beta and camcorders.

I'm just noticing that the movement on the video's I took are a bit fast an unnatural so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that or some other in camera setting. The options available on my GX7 are 25/50fps and 24p. I think I had it on 50fps AVCHD.

Actually on WMP it looks unnaturally fast, KMPlayer shows it in slow motion and VLC shows the opening frame but all I get is audio.

2. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Anyone? I just need to know if maybe this is a codec thing or if the NTSC/Pal thing does actually affect computers.

I've read a few posts on some AV forums but those guys complicate the shit out of their posts, I really can't figure what they're saying. Most of them are regarding PC to DVD players and converting files and not a whole lot on if they play on computers or not.

It's not really a big deal since I don't use video a whole lot anyway, I just need to rule out this is some sort of issue with the camera itself.

3. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    its the 50fps giving you that different look. movies are shot at 24, TV in the US is 30 or 29.97 and in the UK 25. 50 or 60p isn't something our eyes are used to seeing, like it looks too smooth or sped up. many shoot at those frame rates or faster so they can slow it down for slow motion or may be they just like the look of 50 fps.

it may also be shutter speed. if shutter speed is faster than double the frame rate, natural looking motion blur diminishes and our eyes aren't use to that either.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, you could try another player such as MPC-HC.

If none of that works, you could transcode it to 24 or 30fps.

I will say though that I've never had trouble playing 25fps PAL videos on my PC; I don't think I've tried 50fps though.

If you want to put a video on Google Drive or DropBox I could take a look at it.

Barry

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Computers don't care about framerates or NTSC/PAL for playback. Only old CRT TVs cared about that. The issue you describe sounds like a codec issue. If you are on Windows, I think the CCCP codec bundle works pretty well (google it).

The easiest way to tell would be to play the video back on the Camera's LCD after taking it. If it looks normal, then it is recording normally and it's a computer playback issue.

6. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys. What about 24p. The ACVHD files have 25/50 and 24p. I tried a brief video and it looked sped up but not as bad, although I wasn't able to directly compare it.

I'll try to upload some examples later if I have time.

I have some 25fps movies on my computer and I do notice they seem sped up a little bit but only if I look real close. Sometimes you can tell it looks faster the way their heads move around when the characters are speaking or notice someone walking unusually fast, but not as readily noticeable as on my 25 or 50fps vids that I've recorded with my GX7.

Forgot all about MPC-HC. I'll give that a try too!

EDIT: Is there a chance it's my monitor on my PC? I'm running a pretty old dell monitor, I'll try to see if it's 50 or 60hz.

EDIT: Here's a quick link to it on Flickr, I think you can download the same file from this page:test

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    That's a weird effect (and kind of cool) -- what's your shutter speed set to on this video?

8. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I don't really know what settings I have for this video, I just click the record button and shoot while in P, A or S mode. I haven't gone into the video settings for shooting in video mode either but I'll look into that. I didn't know shutter speed could have that kind of effect on frame rate. I'm hoping this means a codec issue or something like that rather than it being indicative of an issue with the camera because everything else seems fine.

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. The video on Flickr definitely looks weird. Since I don't know how Flickr transcodes their images, it's hard to speculate further about Flickr.

I will say though that this is not what a too-fast shutter speed would look like.
    Fast shutter speeds would cause motion to appear flickery or in discrete steps rather than being smooth. It wouldn't cause time-acceleration though.

2. 25fps videos could look better at 50Hz than 60Hz, but most people would not be able to see a difference, if the software is doing its job.

3. I'd still be interested to get a copy of the original video if you could post it on DropBox or Google Drive...

Barry

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am in a 50 Hz country and the video on Flickr still looks sped up. It's almost like 25 FPS sped up to 30 FPS or something. FYI I've used 24p, 25p and 50p on my GM5 and 24p, 24p, 30p on my E-M1 and they all playback fine.

11. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012

Isn't there a download option on the Flickr as well? If you can't get it from there I'll try dropbox or google drives when I figure out how, or check if I might already have an account with one of those sites.

I'm starting to worry about this. I hope it doesn't indicate something off with the camera. I have tried to watch my short clips on the camera lcd but I can't tell if they are sped up or slow on such a small screen. On my PC I have noticed movies and files at 25fps run slightly fast but not to the same extent as this.

12. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    No, it's not your monitor as more people have noticed the effect too.
    I had a look at the "test" footage and noticed the effect only when you moved the camera. Did you have the IS of the GX7 and of the lens switched on by chance?

13. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I was using the 14-42ii in that clip so the OIS would have been automatically on.

Are you guys watching or downloading the flickr file? I try watching it on my computer through the site and it doesn't even run smoothly, if that means anything.

It turns out I do have dropbox and I'm uploading two vids right now just waiting for them to finish. The first one is the same vid, the second one is another where the sped up frames are noticeable but not as much as on the first one with the guy cooking the quail eggs.

14. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
  15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I watched both videos in MPC-HC on my Windows PC...

The one with the eggs appears the same as the version you posted previously on Flickr.

However, I now think this is not a video format / codec problem but probably more of a technique issue...
    1. you're often panning very swiftly
    2. you're often zooming very rapidly
    3. sometimes both at once

This seems to be introducing a lot of shake, as well as making subject motion look odd.

Try some more videos, and focus on panning smoothly, and zooming slowly & smoothly, and preferably don't zoom and pan at the same time. See how they come out.

As a test, you could take a video of your TV and play it back and see if there is any speedup.

Barry

16. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012

Thanks Barry and everyone else for taking the time to look. They both look really fast on my PC, the egg one especially. At first I did think it was all the zooming and panning may contribute to the already sped up frame rate making it seem worse, but I also have some vids of my pc screen that look the same, which I'll try to put up later.

I've been looking at some vids I took with my last camera, my E-m10 with the same panning and zooming but there is no evidence of any sped up movement at all.

EDIT: Here's a quick one I took out the window just now of people walking along the promenade. If you look closely you can see the unnatural movement of the people as they walk. Dropbox - P9220908.MP4

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  17. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Maybe, I'm not sure I can see it or not.

Find a watch or clock with a second hand, preferably one that 'tics' faster than once per second (some have near-continuous movement of the second hand) and film it. Try to start the video when the second hand passes the 12 o'clock mark.
    There's an online one at http://www.javascriptkit.com/dhtmltutors/css3clockdemo.htm

Barry

18. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I don't have the camera with me right now but I'll try to get it done later.

What would it mean if it turns out to be running faster or slower?

19. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I could see the issue in your dropbox-posted video (BTW, file downloading is disabled for the Flickr video), but I'm not seeing anything unusual in this latest video. I'm guessing that if you record a clock's second hand and see it skip sections of the clock then that would indicate frame skipping?

20. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Finally did the clock one. The first one I shot was a minuted long but couldn't determine if it went fast or not so I shot a three minute long one, both in P mode and Movie mode in case there were differences in the settings.

Both seem fine. I measured the time against my G-Shock with the clock to make sure both matched. Then I measured the G-Shock against the clock playing back on WMP. I've done it a couple of times, sometimes during playback the clock seems to get to the marks a bit quicker, maybe half a second but nothing significant. Maybe it's just the time it takes my eye to focus from my G-Shock to the clock on the screen but the final result at three minutes seem to match.

I started filming a bit before the second hand hit the 6 and started timing against it from there.
    Dropbox - P9230079 3 min 25fps P.MP4

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong from what I can tell but my other vids showing people moving around still seem sped up a bit. Maybe it has something to do with the motion, you can notice at first when I adjust the position of the camera the vid becomes a bit jittery.

• Like Like x 1