1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 video gets clipped short by 2 seconds.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rowbo, Mar 31, 2014.

1. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else is has this occur? I just noticed that if recording MP4 (1080p60) the videos are being clipped short by about 2-3 secs.

In AVCHD (1080p60) the same occurs but only about half a second.

Just a warning that if you are recording speech, don't button off right away, keep recording for a few more seconds or you might you lose the end :(

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Strange! Cutting off at the front is common but not on the tail end.

3. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Strange indeed. Does anyone else have this issue?

Easy way to test yours: Film a static shot for 5 secs then quickly re-frame for a further 2 seconds, then stop recording. Check the recorded clip to see if the second shot is there.

Perhaps it's something a firmware update can fix.

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    As a matter of course I always "pre-roll" for about 5-10 seconds before calling "action" and I always let it roll about the same before calling "cut". Gives a bit of room for transitions at both ends and much more freedom in the editing process.

5. speedandstyle

Good suggestion and is standard procedure for on set filming BUT it doesn't work that way for shooting the kid's birthday party or what have you.

6. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Can anybody else confirm this is happening with theirs? I'd like to know if my camera is faulty. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    There is a slight delay between hitting the shutter button to stop recording, and the beep that says it stopped, so its hard to be sure, but I'm certainly not losing 2 seconds. It seems to stop right when I press the button, but when operating the camera it doesn't appear to stop for about a half a second. Tested both MP4 and AVCHD. Maybe I lost a half second to a second... but just maybe. Again, its hard to tell just by playing with it in my living room.

8. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Thank you.
    On mine, if I hit record, count to 5 out loud slowly, then hit stop, the resulting video only makes it to "three" then cuts out. It's kind of annoying.
    Recording mp4 1080p60.

9. speedandstyle

If it is still under warranty I would send it in for service. I have used a lot of video cameras and have never seen it cut on the tail end of the video.

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    My OM-D E-M5 does the same thing!!! (Cuts the end short by a second or two). It's really annoying!

11. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Interesting. Well I suppose it's not that big a deal, as long as you keep rolling for a few seconds after your intended shot. Or shoot using the AVCHD codec, which on the GX7 seems to not suffer this problem as badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, that's the easy solution...except, usually when I'm shooting, I forget that it's going to get clipped if I stop it at the proper time.

13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I just tried again, counting "One-one thousand, two-one thousand...." and hitting the shutter button right after "five-one thousand". On both MP4 and AVCHD it cuts out at "Five-one", so I lose about a half second.

14. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    Larry
    Could this be related to the SD card write speed?

Most recommend at least a Class 10 card for video.

15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have class 10 cards

16. speedandstyle

It is possible. I just tried it on my E-P3 with a class 4 card and it cut off the last second but it didn't do it with a class 10 card. So it does seem that the write speed of the card does have some part of this. Yes for HD video it is best to use class 10 cards.

17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm using SanDisk Extreme 32GB Class 10 cards...shouldn't be an issue...

18. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Same here, Class 10 sandisk. Consistent 2 seconds missing from end of movies.

Also, I just had a VERY long lag (5+ secs) opening the playback screen. For a brand new camera this thing seems super laggy. Will see how the performance goes over the next week but it looks like I might have to take this one in for warranty. Firmware is current and up to date, for anyone who is wondering if that was the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  19. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Not quite the same problem, but I just made a stupid little stop motion film, 326 frames, 25fps, 13 seconds. Have to save as mp4.

It plays back in full in-camera, in Lightroom and in Windows movie maker, but in VLC player, although the length is given as 0.13 it cuts off the last bit. And the jelly baby doesn't fall off the table.

20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    What if you export the clip from LR? is it still shortened?