GX7 Video can look amazing given the right cirumstances

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rowbo, May 25, 2014.

1. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    I recently went on a trip to Sri Lanka and took a GX7 with the lumix 14-42ii and 20mm 1.7. I shot video the whole time and was pleasantly surprised that the video from this camera shines. I noticed some moire on highly complex shots and the codec did struggle a bit if there was too much motion. I like how small the camera is. It helped me to be a bit more stealth when shooting locals.
    Here is what I put together:
    [video=vimeo;96076932]https://vimeo.com/96076932[/video]

I shot with contrast -5 and sharpness -2.

• Like Like x 21
  2. Suktron

Suktron New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2012
    A great promo for Sri Lanka, the GX7 and your skill. A Very pleasing production. I noticed that the images where very smooth when panning and even from the train moving train. Did you use a video head and tripod only or did you have some other rig? I have read that the GX7 IBS does not work in video mode, yet your results are superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

3. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Thanks Suktron,

I shot entirely hand held as I wanted to travel light. The combination of lens stablization on the 14-42, slo-mo and a steady hand is what you see. I agree it's a shame the IBS does not work in video mode, that's why a lens with IS is a must. I did apply post warp stabilizer to maybe 2 shots.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Suktron

Suktron New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2012
    Rowbo,
    You did very well! :)
    Thanks for your feedback (and keep up the good work). :)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    This is stunning skills! the kit lens is superb for video by the look of your work! Very cinematic rendition, you got great video workflow! I wish I can do as good as that, this is really superb! I think you would do good with any camera!
    By the way the video I got from GX7 are miles away from your renditions. Do you use a variable ND filter? I bet yes.

6. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Wow thank you for the kind comments!

No ND filter as I don't own one that fits these lenses (yet)... although MANY times I wish I had taken one on this trip.
    However, shooting at 50p with shutter speed at 100 meant that I could expose correctly in most bright situations. Sometimes I had to bump the shutter speed up even higher to bring down exposure, not ideal by any means but you gotta do whatever you can to get the shot!

7. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    No variable ND filter and you got this? As Lady Gaga says "I'm speechless" ...

Bravo for the work you got skills!! Do you use Premiere?

8. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Impressive. Very serene feeling in the whole thing. Well done.

Patrick K

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    very nice work indeed.....I suspect you may be a rookie to micro 4/3 but not a stranger to shooting video

the camera did a great job, but you obviously know very well how to frame a shot. Hats off to you for that

its not about the gear... its about the skill to use it

K

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Absolutely wonderful.

If you would share your settings on the GX7 for video, I'm sure many would appreciate that. I certainly would.

Thank you.

11. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    orfeo - Yes I use Premier to edit and grade.

kevinparis - I'm a total noob to micro 4/3! My experience is with canon DSLR's. This is my first video using the micro 4/3 system.

dhart - My settings:
    AVCHD 50p (interpreted to 25p)
    Contrast -5
    Sharpness -2
    Saturation -2
    Noise Reduction 0
    i.Dynamic OFF
    i.Resolution OFF

• Like Like x 2
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Fantastic work mate...beautifully done.

13. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Very nice work, you got some excellent imagery and the editing flows nicely.

One word of advice, though. I wouldn't use those "film flare" effects anymore. As one who used to shoot Kodachrome motion picture film (albeit 8mm) and wound up having to leave stuff like that on the cutting room floor, they are not nostalgic in any way.

We got them for two reasons. Not paying attention to when the film was going to run out, or if some IDIOT opened the film magazine in midroll. The light exposed a portion so severely it processed absolutely clean, then penetrated about 2 to 3 layers on the spools resulting in the orange "flarey" look adjacent to layers that were OK.

When you edit it in as an effect or transition you mostly can't get it in the right place to look like the "accident" it used to be and as a result to anyone who occasionally saw it on their film it will look absolutely phony.

Please don't take this as a criticism, your work looks great. But that "effect" is a trendy "fad" right now and I'd avoid that trend like the plague.

I enjoyed watching your short very much.

14. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Hi Bif,

Thanks for the kind words and I agree wholeheartedly about the overused fad of fake film burns. I think a subtle lens flare can add a nice touch sometimes... but only sparingly and depending on the project... and only if it looks close enough to reality without taking away from the imagery.

Thanks for your advice though, I might back off on the flare effects next time! :)

15. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Great video! It gives a lot to think about.

I am looking for a stabilized lens at the moment exactly for this kind of footage. I looked at the 14-140 (both versions) and wondered how good they would be for video work and for walkaround lens... or if I should just eat the bullet and go for the 12-35mm.

16. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Being a total noob at video and having the GX7 what is the reason for shooting at 50fps, does it not just playback in slightly slow motion or am I missing something obvious here.

Paul

17. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    I really enjoyed your video. It makes me want to visit there. Oh, and the diver is insane!

I do have a question. How did you get the landing gear shots?

18. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    Hi Paul,
    Shooting at a fast frame rate allows you to slow down (interpret) the footage giving you smooth slow motion. I shot at 50fps and interpreted to 25p, slowing down the motion by 50%.

19. rowbo

rowbo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2014
    I just happened to be sitting right beside the wing, where on this style plane the wheels are located. I shot right out my window!

20. Chazzz

Chazzz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Washington State
    Kudos! So nicely done! Makes me want to travel someplace and shoot some video myself. Thanks for shooting and thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1