1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 VF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bigal1000, Aug 30, 2015.

1. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I've read some negative comments on the VF, tearing what ever that is I'm thinking of buying a left over one now that the GX8 is out. Can anyone here comment on that before I drop the cash on it,thanks very much.

2. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

This has been repeatingly discussed topic, you may find such examples here
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/56690/
    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/53096/

I will still respond as my recent experience might be helpful for you.

I very recently bought a GX7 and the moment I turned it on and tried the EVF, -totally unaware of the EVF issue- I noticed something is weird with the EVF (that's how I searched the topic and found above links anyway).
    What I was seeing was exactly what Arg has posted sometime ago in above discussions, the famous tearing stuff.. I was seeing it.. it is mostly a problem with high contrast stuff.
    http://www.projektor.hu/dlp+szivarvany+demo.html

Please note, not all people can really see this effect on GX7 EVF.. so if you see the image on the website tearing etc, it does not mean you will be seeing the same effect on the EVF. The image on the link is provided to show that some people see the tearing effect while some people do not..it is related to physiology of the individual's eye and brain's processing (I guess it is mostly related to the combined/effective refresh rate of your sight).

Anyway, I had chance to play with other cameras (A7, Nex-6, VF-2 +pm2 ) and compare their viewfinders, my personal -subjective- rating is as follows:
    in terms of picture quality, ie what my eye+brain sees..
    A7 >>> Nex-6 > VF-2+pm2 > GX7

in terms of convenience, ie what is overall easy for me while taking a picture.. (image quality, tilting, part of the camera and eye level sensor all combined)
    A7 (really large and crisp, joyful) >>> Nex-6 (not tilting but crisp) = GX7 (tilting+sensor) > VF-2+pm2 (no sensor, need to push a button always)

If the viewfinder is the only reason you are choosing GX7, I do not recommend it to you, you have better options.
    If you are behind a GX7 as it is a really nice camera with all sort of customization options etc, and trying to figure out if you can live with the viewfinder.. then I would recommend.. Overall I am happy with Gx7.

positives with gx7 viewfinder:
    upward tilting.
    attached to the camera; always
    top of the camera is flat; always
    eye level sensor works great (at least for me)

negatives with gx7 viewfinder:
    some people can see tearing rainbow effect (I can see very strongly!)
    it is not as crisp as vf-2 or other recent cameras
    it is small and so it is not great for people wearing eye glasses (like me)
    it is a bit tricky for the left sighted people (like me) as your nose rubs the touchsreen always.

compared to my vf-2,
    Positives are eye level sensor and being part of the camera always
    Negatives, not as crisp as vf-2 and tearing rainbow effect.

Overall for me, even with the noticeable downsides, it is still good enough and I consider it as a nice upgrade compared to vf-2. Today I had sometime to play more with my new Gx7 and I like it more.. it is a nice camera.. I could not customize it in the way I want yet but it will take time..

good luck with your decision.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It is small-ish. The resolution is actually very high, but the opening is just on the small side (imagine looking at same HD video on small phone vs a large TV screen). Only you can decide if it's worth the price difference. I think it's an amazing deal at current prices even with the crippled viewfinder.

4. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks folks........I may go the extra $$ and get the new EM-10MKII

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I never had a problem with the GX7 EVF. However, I suspect the one in EM10mkII will be significantly better, as will the IBIS.

6. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I've never had a problem with my GX7 EVF either, but then I can't say I've had a lot of experience with other EVFs and OVFs, so it may depend on what you are used to. Note that the optional eyecup (DMW-EC1) is worth having.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Why don't you try one?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    As I have posted on other threads concerning the GX7 EVF, I have never experienced the tearing (seeing the separate color scans). A lot of comments have been made about the small size of the EVF. It the only EVF that allows me to see the entire image when wearing my glasses. Every other EVF (Olympus and Panasonic)I have tried vignettes the image. It must be the combination of my eyes, glasses and the magnification of the various EVF. So far I favor the GX7 over any other u4/3 camera. I have yet to handle the GX8. I agree with Arg - try one.

Mike

9. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

hi Mike,

your comment is interesting, I am wondering where your diopter adjustment is sitting? I can get clear image when it is all the way on the right.. (that is also my case in other viewfinders). I wonder if the location of the diopter setting has some effect over the magnification or maybe the shape of the eye (focal length and focus location etc)? even I take out my glasses and my eyebrows touching to the EVF I can barely see the entire LCD area in the EVF in my case..

anyway I totally agree that trying one is very important.. if you can find one..
    overall gx7 is a very good camera with a very good EVF... even I am experiencing the drawbacks, positive sides are a lot more in total making it a great camera/experience.

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I am able to use mine with glasses on.

11. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I use mine with glasses on with no problems. It did not lag like the G5 EVF did in low light. I use to have the EPL5 with the VF2 before the GX7, the EVF might be a little bit smaller, but I have never thought anything of it, the EVF on my GX7 works fine.

12. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

I am able use mine too :)
    but still, this does not change the fact, I cannot see all 4 corners of the image in one look when I have glasses (or even without glasses if I do not push in). Rather I see one corner out of 4 is vignetted always, like a crop sensor lens used in a full frame sensor camera (only one corner vignetting depending where I center my eye).. Searching more, I see there are also others on the same boat..

while it is not a deal breaker for me, it is a noticeable annoyance, and I live with that till a better option becomes available at a price that I will think it will be worth for upgrade.. and I do not think that will happen very soon.. overall I am happy with gx7.. :)

13. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It is not unusual to not see all 4 corners of a VF image with eyeglasses on.

There is an inherent compromise: the longer the eye point, the smaller the image has to be to see it all at once, or the larger the entry port of the VF has to be.

The only way for the manufacturer to make the entry port of the GX7 EVF larger is to make the whole camera larger -- assuming they don't want to have a small back screen. So, if you want a rangefinder format body, and you want the camera dimensions to stay compact, you have to accept a compromise on EVF physical size, or image size, or a short eye point.

Or a 'pentaprism' hump.

14. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

oh yes, I agree with design/physical limitations..
    nex-6 is same size with gx7 with slightly bigger EVF window, but EVF does not tilt and the LCD screen on the back is shorter.. if it was tilting it would be likely a smaller EVF or larger camera..
    as gx8 has a larger EVF window and tilts, but the camera is 7mm longer compared to gx7 (and also thicker where in this image it looks EVF is part of the deal) .

you are walking me towards a more educated design/desire/limitations optimization route where my ideal is emerging to be a slightly smaller LCD screen and a larger EVF in gx7 size body.. but of course I am sure it will not apply to all :)

Diversity is a good thing.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    A camera store with a GX7 might be really hard to find.

16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I have never experience the rainbow tearing. I find the GX7 VF to be a little bit small, but generally very sharp and responsive.

I find I use the rear monitor just as often as the viewfinder except in very bright light, and probably more often when I'm getting creative compositionally, so a great EVF is a "nice-to-have" rather than the most important feature on the camera as it is for some people.

17. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    No problem with the tearing on my GX7. The EVF was pretty laggy before I turned off constant preview. ~45K frames through it now almost all through the EVF. I wore glasses with it for a little over a year and had no problems, even in daylight. For what they go for, it's going to be very hard to find a better value.

18. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I just bought a used Gx7, having owned a G5 previously and G3 before - the viewfinder in the Gx7 is an improvement. Is it perfect? No. I do see the rainbow effect, it is a bit small and I don't see the value of the tilt feature (although it doesn't hurt anything). I had no complaints with the G5 and I miss the flip screen but I thought IBIS was more important.

If you're using it in lowish light it seems like the resolution of the EVF becomes more grainy, until you get the picture in focus and then everything is clear again. My opinion, this is just where the technology was at the time it was built. Considering they're about 1/3 the price (used) of the cameras with the latest and greatest viewfinders I think it's a bargain camera. I mean really, the camera is very nice.

19. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    For what it's worth, I use the tilt EVF quite a lot. I won't say that I can't live without it, but it's a very valuable feature to me. I use it when I squat and shoot, and also on the tripod sometimes. That may be part of the reason I don't have trouble in bright daylight, because I'm often shading the viewfinder with my big head!

20. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I do have the optional eyecup on the Gx7 too, I like it a lot. I have not really shot with the camera in anger yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how effective the IBIS is.