1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Undocumented Details of Operation

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lcdemack, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Lcdemack

Lcdemack Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2014
    So Cal
    Lawrence
    As seems typical nowadays, after a night with the manual, I believe there are confusing details of the features on the GX7 that are not documented to detail in the manual, or may just be buried deep in some unusual place.
    I thought it'd be helpful to have these stacked in one thread.
    Feel free to add workarounds.

Here's what I've found so far:

- Silent mode Deactivates all flash modes (probably because a flash would negate the benefit of a silent mode) :eek:

- Electronic Shutter set to (ON) limits ISO settings to 2300 maximum.

- Electronic Shutter set to (ON) deactivates all flash modes.

- Many settings in the Painterly modes are locked out, like ISO (but similar effects can be adjusted into photo presets in the PASM modes, unlocking the ability to to set things like ISO).

- Aperature & Speed are adjustable in at least one Painterly mode (Monocrome) via the
    Top(then)center icon selection on the on-screen pullouts.

- Ultra-High speed burst mode seems to only be available in JPG only choices (No RAW - files written are too large). This is documented, but the chart is a bit confusing.

- The displayed Quick Menu choice of either 2 or 10 second timer (only one will show in some locations) is determined by your main menu choice for the same.

- I believe I am seeing better/ longer battery life performance using Electronic Shutter much of the time.

- Reviewing photos immediately after the shot, when using any large RAW mode may display blurry if you zoom to review your focus - the image will visibly sharpen when the file is finished writing to the card.
    This issue is doubly obvious when shooting in a burst mode.
    (Don't get caught assuming something is wrong with your camera's focus)

- The display choice for the rear screen that shows only the group of settings you've currently chosen, is 90% selectable and makes a great alternative for accessing other settings, when choices thru the Quick Menu or the Main Menu have you confused. (Example - I have not reset any of the custom function buttons, but in some modes the four May rocker will not call up the features noted on them, then I cycle thru the Quick Menu not finding what I need. Often, rather than fuddle thru the entire set of choices on the Main Menu, I chose this settings display, select on a setting, and all the addl choices for that setting are displayed.)

- When shooting in a customized mode (C1/C2/C3 etc) any temporary adjustment to your ISO (and possibly other items like image compensation?) will be reset back to the preset custom mode setting if the camera goes into sleep mode. The situation becomes "Why is it resetting back to ISO 200, when I just set it to 1600?" The answer - ISO 200 is the setting you locked in for C1, etc. :eek:

• Like Like x 6
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks for the tips. I hope you are enjoying your lovely camera.

Not sure if you are aware that there is also an Advanced Manual, in addition to the Basic Manual? At least a couple of your tips are in the Advanced, if not all.

Another tip re level of detail when reviewing photos: they will be much more detailed when zooming in on RAW photos if you shoot RAW + JPEG Fine. If you shoot RAW by itself, the camera does not install such a large temporary JPEG on the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    My touch screen will no longer let me shoot pictures. When I look at my Q-screen the mode shows a rectangle and this can't be adjusted like everything else. I can live with this by using cable release attachment ,but I could use touch screen to take pics like I used to. Everything else is so great that I 'm not complaining..
    These machines are very peculiar.

4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Try resetting the camera?

5. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I did and i needed to do the mysterious double reset to make it work. Now the screen shutter release works.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    Does anybody know why Panasonic decided that we didn't need to use the flash at the same time as the electronic shutter?

7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    It's impossible with current technology. The electronic shutter scans the sensor at a rate much slower than the shutter speed selected. If you set 1/1000 with the electronic shutter, each pixel records light for 1/1000s, but it may take 1/30s or so for all the pixels to be recorded. If a flash went off in the middle of that, only a slim band of the image would be illuminated.

One day we will get global electronic shutters (with CMOS sensors), and it will be a wonderful thing, especially for flash usage. It sounds like Sony is getting there: http://petapixel.com/2014/11/12/son...-heights-active-pixel-color-sampling-sensors/

• Like Like x 1
  8. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post.

I am a new owner and found the inexpensive ebook in the Kindle store called "The Panasonic gx7 Menu Simplified" which I found more helpful than the long pdf manual.

Talking of customisation, I have the fn1 button set to change from electronic shutter to manual (normally set to electronic), the four way controller set to the standard features, and fn2 set to metering mode. That gives me all the controls I normally need on a single press. I don't use the soft fn keys - too much hassle.

I would like the option to reassign the four way controller, since I shoot RAW I have no use of WB. I would also like the option to disable the display button in record mode. I only ever want it in one mode, and it is too easy to catch accidentally.

Dave