GX7 - Strong 'rainbow' tearing effect in EVF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mronen, Dec 6, 2013.

1. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    In dpReview it lists "Strong 'rainbow' tearing effect in EVF" as one of the con arguments.

Can someone please comment on it? How bad it really is? Does it affect still picture shooting?

Thanks,
    Moshe

2. DoubleSwitch

DoubleSwitch New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2013
    Complete non-issue. I tried to replicate what they are talking about, but the only time I notice such an effect is looking through the viewfinder into darkness with the lens cap ON!
    The whole DPR review smells of bias (and hundreds of commenters complained about it).

Saying this, due to form factor the viewfinder isn't the biggest. But very accurate and sharp. For shooters with glasses, the additionally available extended eye cup might be advisable: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx7/optional_accessories.html#eyecup

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I still think the DPR reviewer was clueless, or worse. The only time I noticed this at all was when the eyepiece diopter was way out of adjustment, and even then only slightly. Based on this, and some other comments he made, I truly believe the GX7 was the first camera with an EVF the reviewer ever used, and he was pretty much ignorant of how to use it.

With the EVF diopter adjusted properly, I can see this effect in my GH3 if my eye isn't centered behind the viewfinder, but I've yet to see it at all in the GX7. (which I've only had for a few days, but I've definitely played with it enough that I would have noticed).

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've never noticed it and I've used it in enough conditions I'd think I would have by now. It's not the best EVF I've used, but its in that second echelon with a lot of other really good ones. No complaints...

-Ray

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Not an issue. Haven't notice it. Love the tilting capability of the EVF.

6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Maybe they were panning a speeding rainbow?

• Like Like x 1
  7. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I think that the importance of this issue varies enormously depending on the person. I was seriously considering buying a GX-7, but when I tried it in the shop, I saw this effect very strongly every time that I moved my eyes when looking into the viewfinder, which I found intolerable. However, as the comments above (and other comments that I have seen elsewhere) make clear, for many people, this is a non-issue. The best thing to do is to try it in a shop and see for yourself whether this is important to you.

8. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I've never noticed this effect during the month I've owned the GX7. Some people apparently do, but I think it is a small minority.

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sequential display technologies can exhibit this effect with some people.

In the home cinema area, many projectors use a sequential display technology called DLP, and a small number of people notice a 'rainbow effect'. That doesn't stop them being very popular though, with their higher contrast, and better colour gamuts.

The GX7 EVF also has these superior attributes of higher contrast, better colour gamut and higher resolution, but a few people will notice the effect.

A simulation of the effect is here: http://www.projektor.hu/dlp+szivarvany+demo.html

The only way to know for sure is to try a GX7 in hand. I tried it and there was not a problem.

[edit: the link above does not test if you are susceptible. It simulates the effect so anyone can see it]

• Like Like x 2
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    It doesn't happen with me, but its Interesting. Thanks for posting.

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    cheers. And even if one observes it, it is up to the individual to decide if it is overwhelmingly upsetting, given the advantages mentioned.

12. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks to the many members who replied. Unfortunately I can't test it physically, and I must base my decision whether to buy or not, on reviews and reports.

Moshe

13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks, I don't have a GX7 but I use a GX1 and have noticed rainbow/prism artifacts while using the EVF during even small movements, but not on the LCD. I've wondered why no reviews mentioned the "rainbow tearing." Now I know not everybody sees it. It actually bothers the heck out of me. In my case, it's a lot more pronounced than the simulation. Oddly, I don't notice it with any of my Oly EVFs. The VF-4 is very clean.

14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You won't notice it with the Oly EVF's, because they don't use field sequential technology. They use ordinary LCD or OLED technology. So do the Pana GH3 and G6.

OTOH don't assume all field sequential finders won't suit you. As the technology improves, so will the performance.

cheerio

15. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Oled technologie is prone to prematurate failure compared to sequential and LCD technologie. Choose your poison...

16. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    My experience with every camera I've bought in the last half dozen years (Panasonic, Sony/Minolta, Pentax, Canon) has been that the "negatives" in reviews are almost universally overstated, or else I've blown them out of proportion while considering the purchase. The technology is so good now in almost every respect with regard to cameras that the issues raised in reviews are typically minor to unnoticeable to me in actual use. If this one thing is holding you back from buying a camera that you're otherwise excited to buy, my advice is to pull the trigger. If you buy it new, you can always return it, maybe even with paid return shipping depending upon where you are and where you buy.

• Like Like x 2