1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gx7 Some questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Aug 3, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I've been meaning to get a GX7 for a while now. Last August I was about to pull the trigger when I came across an E-M5 on clearance for a pretty good deal. Now I've sold it and the only options I have are GX-7 parallel goods.

The thing is, stores here in HK which stock the parallel GX7's are not all that dependable so I will need to know my shit before I pull the trigger.

First, having recently figured out how to check shutter count on Pana bodies, I'd like to know what's an acceptable minimum SC for a new Pana body. I've bought Oly bodies in the past, brand new with SC's ranging from 40+ to 80+.
    Chances are these local stores that sell parallel imports will be selling me a display unit as new or possibly one that has been returned, since the only way they deal with faulty goods is to replace it with another one if they have it in stock. The GX7 being a relatively old model, will likely be low on stock and I want to minimize buying something that has been used or replaced due to some issue. One way of checking is the SC. I'm thinking below 100 is a good indication of a new body, anything above could have been used and subsequently returned.

Second, how do I check the IBIS on these bodies works? Will I be able to see the Ibis effect on the lcd or viewfinder? Is there an option to turn it on or off like with the E-m5?

Last thing I can think of checking is the connectivity. Wifi and NFC, pretty straightforward but not having used one of these bodies in the past I'd like to know if there is something I should look out for with regard to these features.

Anything else I should look out for? The likelihood is I won't be able to return it once I've completed the transaction so I'd like to minimize the chances of me getting a lemon.

Sorry fort the long ass post. Thanks in advance to for taking the time to read and reply.

2. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I don't remember what my GX7 was, but my Olympus had over 100, maybe 110. I have over 12,000 actuations on my GX7 now, so I wouldn't worry if it has a little over 100. If it's pushing 200+ then it's probably been used.

The WiFI sucks on my GX7. So, it will be easy to test, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work well, even on a totally legit camera.

You won't be able to return the camera and it also won't have a Panasonic warranty? I would just go to a more legit dealer or buy used online if that's the case.

Hopefully someone else gives a good simple test for you for the IBIS, I've never tested mine, just rely on the camera working.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    One thing to point out is that the GX7 has an electronic shutter which won't show in the SC stats. Likewise, video usage won't be recorded.

Given that the life of the shutter is probably 50k-100k actuations, I wouldn't be too worried about a few hundred clicks. Chances are you'll sell the camera a long time before it wears out!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys. I'm not really worried about the number of actuations, I just want to check if it's consistent with what the shops description selling it as new. It could be a display unit with well over 500 shots having been used as an in shop demo unit. Like I said it's a common tactic for local stores to clean up a slightly used or returned unit and sell as new.
    My choices are limited, there are no officially licensed units left since this wasn't a very popular camera over here.

What I meant about the IBIS is that will I be able to see it's effect on the lcd or viewfinder while composing or half pressing the shutter? Is there a way to turn it on or off? I used to take the lenses off my e-m5 and half press the shutter just to watch the sensor move about, I don't know if I can do the same with the Gx-7.

5. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I don't think you'll be able to see it well just looking at the viewfinder.

6. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Sorry, I was messing with my camera - if you want to turn it off and test it, you can setup it up on a function button. Mine is set on Fn.3 because I don't ever use the wifi. You will probably be able to notice with a very long lens and 1/10s or slower exposure. I just did a coupe test shots with a 135mm lens + a 2x teleconverter with the lens length set to 300mm. It was pretty clear to me when the IBIS was on. See if the shop has a 300mm mirror lens or at least one of the super zooms. Don't test with a Panasonic lens, because I don't think you can use the IBIS with the OIS lenses.