1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 Slow Startup.. Camera problem? Card Problem? Both?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mr. Scruples, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Mr. Scruples

Mr. Scruples Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    New to the forum, so I hope everyone can forgive me for just jumping right in with an issue thread, but I've noticed some strange behaviour with my new GX7 that I was wondering if anyone else has noticed.

What's happening is that when I have the camera set to record video in MP4 format, there is a noticeable (~ 4 seconds) startup delay both for turning the camera on, as well as waking it up if it's gone to sleep. As soon as I switch my video format prefs back to AVCHD, the camera starts up instantaneously.

One thing to note is that this only seems to happen if the camera is loaded with a 16GB SanDisk Extreme (C10) card.

The only other card I have to test with is an older 4GB ATP Pro Max (C6), and it doesn't seem to exhibit this problem at all, so I'm not sure if this is a camera problem, a card problem, or both.

FWIW, I updated to the 1.1 firmware more or less right away, and I can't recall if it was doing this before the update or not.. either way, I'm curious to know if anyone else out there with a GX7 has noticed this.

2. CChiappa

CChiappa New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    I haven't seen the problem myself, but I have seen mention of that exact problem if not here then on dpreview. Hopefully a new firmware can fix it?

It's also a bit strange to me how AVCHD can record in 24fps but MP4 mode can't...

• Like Like x 1
  3. niclashill

niclashill Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Yes, I have had the same problem. I had chosen mpeg for video, and a start up time for about three seconds.

I changed it to avchd and the start up time was almost insant, much less than a second!

Strange, but its working great now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    Interesting. Can I ask what kind of card you're using?

I found the thread at DP Review that CChiappa mentioned above and someone there says they get the slow startup with their 16GB card, but not a 32GB.

5. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    Yeah I thought that was odd as well. Not being much of a video guy, I have no idea what the technical reason for that could be, but I prefer MP4 for what little video I do shoot, so I was a bit disappointed to discover that limitation.

That said, I definitely can't abide such a slow startup on a camera that's otherwise so nice and snappy, so I'll probably have to learn to love AVCHD until a firmware fix comes along.

6. niclashill

niclashill Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    I have a 32gb card, 95mb/s.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. CChiappa

CChiappa New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    To be clear, “AVCHD” still records MP4 video, but in a more elaborate container (ie, you have to work harder to get the video stream off your SD card, it's not just a file in the DCIM/ directory. I think the decision not to allow 24fps is not a technical one...

8. harry66

harry66 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 5, 2012
    Redbridge, London
    Just to mention that the new v1.3 firmware release a few days ago has fixed this problem for me.

• Like Like x 2