GX7 Slow Startup.. Camera problem? Card Problem? Both?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mr. Scruples, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Mr. Scruples

Mr. Scruples Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    New to the forum, so I hope everyone can forgive me for just jumping right in with an issue thread, but I've noticed some strange behaviour with my new GX7 that I was wondering if anyone else has noticed.

What's happening is that when I have the camera set to record video in MP4 format, there is a noticeable (~ 4 seconds) startup delay both for turning the camera on, as well as waking it up if it's gone to sleep. As soon as I switch my video format prefs back to AVCHD, the camera starts up instantaneously.

One thing to note is that this only seems to happen if the camera is loaded with a 16GB SanDisk Extreme (C10) card.

The only other card I have to test with is an older 4GB ATP Pro Max (C6), and it doesn't seem to exhibit this problem at all, so I'm not sure if this is a camera problem, a card problem, or both.

FWIW, I updated to the 1.1 firmware more or less right away, and I can't recall if it was doing this before the update or not.. either way, I'm curious to know if anyone else out there with a GX7 has noticed this.

2. CChiappa

CChiappa New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    I haven't seen the problem myself, but I have seen mention of that exact problem if not here then on dpreview. Hopefully a new firmware can fix it?

It's also a bit strange to me how AVCHD can record in 24fps but MP4 mode can't...

• Like Like x 1
  3. niclashill

niclashill Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    Yes, I have had the same problem. I had chosen mpeg for video, and a start up time for about three seconds.

I changed it to avchd and the start up time was almost insant, much less than a second!

Strange, but its working great now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    Interesting. Can I ask what kind of card you're using?

I found the thread at DP Review that CChiappa mentioned above and someone there says they get the slow startup with their 16GB card, but not a 32GB.

5. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    Yeah I thought that was odd as well. Not being much of a video guy, I have no idea what the technical reason for that could be, but I prefer MP4 for what little video I do shoot, so I was a bit disappointed to discover that limitation.

That said, I definitely can't abide such a slow startup on a camera that's otherwise so nice and snappy, so I'll probably have to learn to love AVCHD until a firmware fix comes along.

6. niclashill

niclashill Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    I have a 32gb card, 95mb/s.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. CChiappa

CChiappa New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    To be clear, “AVCHD” still records MP4 video, but in a more elaborate container (ie, you have to work harder to get the video stream off your SD card, it's not just a file in the DCIM/ directory. I think the decision not to allow 24fps is not a technical one...

8. harry66

harry66 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 5, 2012
    Redbridge, London
    Just to mention that the new v1.3 firmware release a few days ago has fixed this problem for me.

• Like Like x 2