1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Single Point AF question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by meyerweb, Jun 21, 2015.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So, I haven't really used my GX7 in a while.... Have shot much more with my GH3. Anyway, I now have the GX7 with me on a trip, and have run into an annoyance I can't seem to solve.

I'm using single point af, and every time something (like my nose) touches the touch screen, the AF point moves to that spot. On the GX 7, can I lock the AF point to the middle of the screen? Failing that, can I turn off the touch so it doesn't register at all?

Many thanks.

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, turn off the touch screen. It is under Custom Setup.

3. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    You can specifically turn off touch AF somewhere in the settings, without needing to turn anything else off. Not sure where, off hand, as I don't have the camera with me.

Edit: OK, got it. In the 'Custom' menu, page 8, go into 'Touch Settings' and you can turn it off.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    As has been said, you can turn off touch focus, but try tilting the EVF up a bit. I think thats why they included that feature... to keep your face from touching the screen and moving the focus point inadvertently while looking through the EVF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Menu
    C wrench
    Page 8
    Touch settings
    Touch AF
    off

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I thought there was a way to turn off touch focus, but for whatever reason I couldn't find it in the menus. Or in the manual, which I looked at online.

7. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    I feel your pain! I'm left-eyed and blessed with a full-size nose, and I bought the GX7 partly because of the EVF which, with the touch screen activated, becomes useless because my nose is always touching the screen. My previous touch screen camera, the G2, eliminated the problem because I could reverse the screen when shooting with the EVF. I would certainly have put up with the extra depth on the GX7 necessary to include a reversing LCD. BTW, to the OP, if you off-center the focus area, a touch on the display button will re-center it.

8. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Just browsed down to this thread, and there is another wrinkle.

With touch AF Off, you can jab away at the LCD to no effect. However, once the camera detects your eye at the EVF, touch AF is re-enabled. Certainly had me fooled for a while.

Dave

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm pretty sure you can turn that off too. It's actually a huge feature if you care to use it, though. Slide your thumb around on the back screen while looking through the EVF, and watch the magic!