GX7 shutter speed question.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hit_and_misanthrope, Jan 29, 2014.

1. hit_and_misanthrope

hit_and_misanthrope Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    I'm trying for a cinematic 35mm film look, so I've been shooting at 24p with a shutter speed of 1/50. Doing some test shooting tonight I noticed flickering from my TV and from a nightlight. I'm aware of the 60Hz electrical frequencies here in North America, so I basically understand the cause. My question is, what shutter speed would you use in such a situation to stop the flickering, assuming you couldn't change the light source? 1/60 works fine, but do you think the slight lessening of the blur would detract significantly from the cinematic feel of the images? Does anyone think 1/24 is a viable alternative frame rate? Last question, why is "Flkr Decrease" greyed out and impossible to activate? I've tried in all the various shooting modes. I've looked in the manual and the info on this feature is pretty scant.
    I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The 'Flickr Decrease' setting is only available for still shooting in PASM, C1 C2 C3. Check the Advanced manual.

If you have a PAL sensor in a NTSC country, or vice versa, there's not much you can do to prevent video flicker with some light sources, I believe. Still photos can be mitigated, but video is a problem. It's a good reason to make sure you have the right sensor type for the region where you do most videoing. I suggest you use the right type of light sources, e.g. tungsten, or fluoro with electronic ballast, etc.

3. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I put the shutterspeed to 1/30 and that usually minimizes it.

4. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    > do you think the slight lessening of the blur would detract significantly

Nope. Not even insignificantly. I doubt I could tell a recording at 1/50 from one at 1/60.