1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Sensor

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Panny 7-14 and Olympus camera bodies don't make good bed fellows, metaphorically speaking.
    Anyone know whether the GX7 is better and for what reason, rather than anecdotally? At the back of my mind, figuratively speaking, I seem to remember previous panasonic cameras had sensors significantly different that managed the violet end of the spectrum better. Then again I've read the problem is due to reflections off the sensor, back to the lens' rear element then back to the sensor until the energy is absorbed.
    Anyone have a definitive answer please. I've tried the rear filter mod using a Wratten 2E, it helps but flare is still evident, colour shifted.

2. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    What's a Panny?

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Panasonic 7-14mm

4. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    This is a well documented issue.

The lens tends to perform better on Panasonic bodies due to the internal camera software cleaning up the flare. Vintage bodies may not do this but the GX7 definitely will though flare may not be totally eliminated in certain conditions.

Look on DPreview for discussions about this topic.

• Like Like x 3
  5. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I can tell you that both GH4 and GX7 handled the purple blob issue of the 714 much better than my EM5 last time I tested them side by side

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thank you LowTEC, that's good to know.
    PS: Your Flickr images look outstanding!

7. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Glad you like them, GX7 works great with 714 with its IBIS, happy shooting!