GX7 sensor shake

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ragde, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ragde

ragde Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2015
    Hi all,

I just tried my new gx7 for the first time. Every time I turn it on, the body shakes and makes a noise. Removing the kit lens and looking though the opening I can see the sensor shaking when turning on. I feel it is rather strong. Is that normal ? My gx1 does not shake (but it does not have IBIS either, it could be related to that). When I activate sensor cleaning from the menu, there is no shake or noise (I thought it could be related to that). I haven't been able to find any reference on line to this sensor shaking happening, which, I feel, would likely be noted even if normal. I have taken only a few shots around and haven't noticed any other problem, but I can't be sure.

Hoping it's normal even if annoying ...

2. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    I just tested mine and it does the exact same thing. I searched around cant find anything specific on it. Its probably the IBIS just kicking in on startup. Its too slow to be a sensor clean. I also tried turning the IBIS off but it still does it. Wouldnt worry about. Just proves the IBIS is working ;)
  3. ragde

ragde Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2015
    Good to hear that ... thanks a lot for checking !
  4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014

When you first turn the GX7 on the sensor shakes to dislodge any dirt on it, it is supposed to do that. It also eats a lot of battery power so get in the habit of not turning the camera off after each shot if doing more than one shot at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Every Gx7 I've used does precisely what you describe - short discernible sensor vibration when powering up or waking from sleep. As I recall it's two pulses which may indicate some warm up of the 2-axis IBIS... who knows, but it is not the same as a the sensor dust removal mode which I can't even hear.
    • Like Like x 1