1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 self-timer + bracketing?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ex machina, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Hi all,

I can't seem to figure out if this is possible or not on the GX7: I want to auto-bracket shots while on a tripod w/o having to hold down the shutter button. It seems to me that the logical way to do this would be to set the self-timer for a couple secs or so, and then let the camera run through the bracketed exposures. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make this work. Am I going about this wrong?

My workaround is to use my iPhone as a remote control, which works fine but I'd rather be able to do it all from the camera, if at all possible.

Thanks!

2. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    This is especially annoying when I want to do bracketed long exposures. Is everyone using wired remotes or their smartphones' wifi connection to pull this off?

3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I use the Vello Wired Remote. It is less expensive than the Panasonic remote and functions exactly the same.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Thanks, blomed, I actually just ordered that same remote from B&H. After seeing they get for the Panasonic wired remote, I sorta see why they might have decided not to combine self-timer and auto-bracketing functionality. ;) At least I won't be burning through my phone's charge.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Use the auto bracket mode in combination with Shutter Delay (not Self Timer). You won't have to hold the shutter down, but you will have to press it for each bracket exposure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Thanks T N Args, I realize you can do that, and while it's better than nothing it's really a PITA to do so if you use the larger bracketing options. I've nearly come to the conclusion that Panasonic left out this obvious (at least to me) feature in order to make additional $ on their insanely-priced remote. ;)

• Like Like x 1