GX7 Review

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by madogvelkor, Aug 12, 2013.

1. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012

I took a look at the pics as well as when they did the review of the GH3. Looks like GH3 still better high iso jpg shots. I did a crop of both it and gx7 - could not do raw since none of my converters can do the gx7 - but it appears the hoopla about GX7 being best sensor is not backed up by photos.

Here's two shots at iso 3200 jpg cropped. links below for actually download.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Expert Review

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Review
  2. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    To me, the GX7 file looks less noisy than the GH3, especially in the gray and colored boxes. The dark background of the GX7 image appears at first glance to be noisier, then I notice the background of the GH3 image is bluish tinged, perhaps some WB shift at high-ISO?
  3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Not sure. I can see more chroma noise in the grey squares in the GH3 sample ...
  4. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Looks a little less noisy and a little less detail to my eyes. More noise reduction maybe?
  5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

I think comparing OOC Jpegs at 100% crop is a bit pointless (for sharpness comparison anyway) since every camera has its own baseline NR even when its turned off by the user. We need RAW data passed through the same converter.

It could just be the case that the GX7 has a great sensor crippled by an immature or overzealous JPEG engine

6. pointbob

pointbob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    oh the wb is a mess but that is irrelevant - can be fixed in post - the gh3 looks clearer - gx7 just using more NR imo
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the GX7 image has less noise, but as others have said these files don't tell us anything, since 1), the GX7 files are still pre-production and b) we don't have any idea how much NR is being applied.

The internet has opened up the flood gates of clueless testers running meaningless tests which are then cited by unknowledgeable users to justify whatever they want to be true.
  8. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    >>The internet has opened up the flood gates of clueless testers running meaningless tests which are then cited by unknowledgeable users to justify whatever they want to be true.<<

+1 . We need production-final RAW file output before we can start to make any meaningful judgements.
  9. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
  10. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Woah, this new tool is a lot better. For all intents and purposes, I'd say the performance is equal, with the tiniest advantage going to the GX7. At 3200, the E-P5 seems to have the tiniest negligible advantage, while at 6400 and above, the Panasonic emerges slightly victorious. More importantly, however, the Panasonic seems to have better color at these high isos, and less shadow noise even if detail resolution remains very similar. Now I'm just curious as to how it retains dynamic range with high sensitivity.

Interestingly, the NEX-6 looks strictly on par with the M4/3 cameras here, when before it seemed to have a slight, but clear half stop advantage. The 5D Mark III seems only be 1-1.5 stops ahead, instead of two. Exif info shows equal exposure settings, so I wonder if this wasn't equal before. But then again, I didn't account completely for the increased megapixels.

Still, for me the most surprising thing about the GX7 is how much I've been liking the jpegs that come out of it during daytime low iso shooting. Colors look way more natural than what I'm used to from Panasonic. The main improvement they've played up with this new sensor is increased/more accurate color saturation, and I don't doubt them. The colors so far seem about as good as or better than what I've seen from Fuji's jpegs, which is seriously saying something. Doing a quick search of "GX7" on flickr, I haven't seen a single photo shot in daylight where I can say the colors are bad.
  11. stevegold321

stevegold321 New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2013
    I have also found a [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuepjjsWs0w"]video[/ame] for this product.