1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Review in at DPR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by demiro, Nov 6, 2013.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    No in depth of a discussion about the efficiency if the IBIS vs. Oly's IBIS. Or maybe I missed it.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think at this point of IBIS capability, what we need in future is not more effective stops, but greater intelligence and success rate, e.g:

Stabilised video, panning detection, stabilisation auto on with a hangtime when using MF ring, auto off at high shutter speed, auto off for long exposure, shutter shock compensation, that sort of thing. Maybe even something wacky like a simple star shot mode that uses sensor shift to neutralize short term star (actually earth) motion.

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have not noticed the issues with the EVF after a month of using the GX7.

From DPR:
    While out shooting, the LCD was my preferred method of composing photos. Besides the obvious increase in size over the EVF, it's also easier to see outdoors. As mentioned earlier in the review, the relatively small finder eyecup means there's quite a bit of light leakage around the EVF (especially when you're wearing glasses), which required me to shield it with my hand so I could see anything. Since the EVF uses field sequential technology, I found the 'rainbow effect' to be very hard to look at, which was another reason why I usually relied on the LCD.

The eyecup works very well for me with glasses. I have not seen this objectionable rainbow effect either. I did find the dynamic range section interesting - I will have to experiment a bit. As for the IBIS, not much was said. No matter what camera is being reviewed a bit of the reviewer's personal likes and dislikes will color the outcome. That is why it is important to read as many reviews as possible. For the most part, DPR reviews are pretty good, but are sometimes disappointing for the lack of depth in some areas.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. How curious to get pinged for it's IBIS...

...the limitations of which were described thusly...

...and yet you don't see cameras with no IBIS at all getting criticised for not having it. Oh, well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's true, but I think this is a tacit comparison to Oly's 5-axis IBIS. I find the stabilization of the EVF while composing with a long lens one of the great features of the cameras that use that IBIS system. It's nice with the 75, it's REALLY nice with a 150mm lens, and it's damn near critical with a 300mm long end. And if you've used a 75-300 or 100-300 on an EP5 or EM1 and then try it on the GX7, the difference is pretty stark. I agree that it's not something that most bodies are criticized for. But when you've just spent time with one that does, it's something you're gonna notice negatively...

I have to say, though, that this was the only of the negatives they mention that would bother me, and while it's a notable difference with the Oly options, it's not something that I run into all that often...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mookalafalas

Mookalafalas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Tainan, Taiwan
    Al
    I agree with you. I shot in very bright Noonday sun with glasses and had no problem with the EVF, although I couldn't see anything in the LCD (due to glare). I'm not saying the EVF is great or anything, it looks a bit funky, and there is a shot to shot lag that is very annoying when you are used to a regular optical viewfinder. The light leakage and "rainbow effect" mentioned? I don't know what he's talking about.

8. I agree. I understand that for a Panasonic camera the IBIS is a bonus given that they provide a decent range of stabilised lenses, I don't see the purpose in in-camera raw conversion, and I don't use program mode. Pretty insignificant list of cons, really. I didn't really "bond" with the GX7 when I tried one out recently but it still did a whole lot of things right.

9. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    The rainbow effect is due to the brain effect. At the outer peripherical of the vision sight, the eye itself has low refresh rate (or our brain). You can test this with a side bed alarm clock that use red leds for exemple or any leds. You can also use you computer or phone screen to exagerate this effect, use you computer screen to illuminate the leds. You can see that our eyes are less sensible the you reach the outer edges.
    I could replicate this rainbow effect when you look at the viewfinder with the edges of your eye.

When I look straight into the evf, no rainbow effect. I guess amazoned pseudo review/commercial websites like to please it's sponsors like any commercial aimed ran company would do.

PS:DPR is getting flamed on the comments of the review. When I look at the Oly ads in the same pages, I get :rolleyes:

10. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    What is strange to me, is that, when compared with the EM-5, the image quality in JPEG is considered by them, better in the GX7 and in RAW it's better in the EM-5...:confused:
    It's clearly not according common sense when talking about Panasonic vs Olympus.

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I saw that as well. Doesn't make a lot of sense. Not does their criticism of the EVF apparently.

Given how good all of these cameras are getting I think the reviews become harder to do and require more work to uncover the nuances that differentiate one model over another. I don't see DPR being up to that task at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I have the same issue with light leakage and the Olympus VF2. The eye-cup just isn't sized right to block out external light, if one is wearing glasses. The rainbow tearing is something I only noticed on occasion with the Panasonic EVFs, but when you see it, it is quite distracting.

13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, I suspect this individual reviewer isn't using the EVF properly or has some sort of vision problem. Or just smoked a big one...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    No good deed goes unpunished.

15. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've bought the DMW-EC1 eye cup and it significantly cuts out light when viewing the EVF.

16. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    ■EVF is hard to see outdoors, adds bulk to camera

This comment is the one that really kills it for me, it reeks of propaganda, "adds bulk to camera" Seriously? The guy must have never used an external EVF, even the pana LVF2 is a huge lump on the GX1, and the Oly ones are worse.

Levster, how does the EC1 fit on? I could find very little info on it anywhere, pretty much ordered one blind hoping it would offer a better fit to face/glasses.

17. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

It slips over the existing mount and doesn't really add that much extra bulk. It's made of rubber or silicon and when you place your eye to it it creates a perfect seal. I'll need to take a photo of it, although somebody did post a photo of it mounted in the "show us your gx7" thread. I had to order mine from Japan because you can't get them anywhere in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  18. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Having weighed up the EP5 vs GX7 for myself, it was interesting to see someone create a list on the EP5 in the comments section. I cannot agree with his first point as here in OZ we can get the EP5/17mm/LVF4 for $1100 delivered, cheaper than the GX7/20mm kit is. Anyway here is the list for those not interested in reading through the 'comments' :biggrin: Oh and I added the last one in :wink:

* E-P5 is more expensive;
    * E-P5 has no EVF, requiring a $300 add-on;
    * E-P5 has a major fault: shuttershock;
    * E-P5 applies focus peaking as an art filter, which reduces the display frame rate, stops the use of other art filters, and is unusable in video (where it's essential);
    * E-P5's video quality is a mess with no 24/25/50/60p (no PAL frame rates);
    * E-P5 has no electronic shutter;
    * E-P5 wifi is only usable in iAuto mode (and unlike the GX7, no control of: WB, ISO, aperture/ss, exposure comp, focus mode, burst mode, bracketing, photo style, image quality, metering, flash mode, video quality and record options, stop animation, etc etc);
    * E-P5's time lapse is limited to 999 exposures and doesn't put the camera to sleep between shots;
    * E-P5 has no sweep panorama
    * E-P5 looks dated and lacks design flair, feels heavy, GX7 has a very modern retro look, feels light yet stiff thanks to the materials used, yes its fit and finish is not as fine as the EP5 but its not far off, at least you can hold it in one hand without the fear of dropping it!

• Like Like x 1
  19. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks Levster, so you leave the standard rubber piece on and this just goes over the top? So its universal in that I could pull it off and slide it onto my G5 as well? (unless I missed something Pana needs to do more on their website to explain this neat little addition and what it works on)

• Like Like x 1
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It seems to me that Panasonic needs to spend more money advertising on DPR, so they'll get better reviews. That's the only excuse for some of the idiotic criticisms DPR levels against this camera. In camera raw processing? Who gives a darn? IBIS limitations? As others have said, bodies without IBIS at all don't get criticized for not stabilizing the viewfinder, nor do cameras with OVFs. It really seems to me that DPR was looking for things to criticize.

Anyone who says the LCD is easier to see in bright light than the EVF is suspect in my book. This is probably someone who grew up using P&S cameras without viewfinders at all, thinks holding a camera at arms length is normal, and has no clue as to how valuable a VF (E or O) really is.

Either that, or no one who works there is actually a photographer who knows how to use a camera outside their lab.

OTOH, the vast majority of Panasonic's lenses have OIS, which does stabilize the EVF, but DPR ignores that. I only have 2 lenses without IS, the 7-14 and 20, and neither really need viewfinder stabilization. I'll never need IBIS with my 100-300, 45-150 or 14-140.

• Like Like x 1