GX7 Raw file support in LR5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kittymama3, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Does LR5 not have any camera profiles for the GX7? Upon uploading RAW files, I only see Adobe standard - no approximations for any other camera profiles, such as neutral, etc.

2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Not got a GX7 but I would suggest the Huelight profiles. These gave me a few options and better colours than Adobe did for my EM5 - I still use them now - the best $10 I've ever spent on photography!!

There are a few posts on this forum about them.

http://www.colorfidelity.com

3. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you! I had forgotten about color fidelity. I bought profiles for my d700 and am happy to see the gx7 on the list.

4. Ultbruin

Ultbruin Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    Cool I'll look into it as well. Just started using Lightroom 5 with my GX7 raw files. Still shooting in RAW+jpeg. Jpeg for many situations are exceptional.

5. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Just an FYI In case you were wondering....there are three profiles. One of them seems to match adobe standard directly. The other is a lower contrast and the other is a higher contrast profile. I actually had bought these for my d700 awhile ago and wasn't that impressed and I felt similarly about the gx7 profile. I am looking for a base that mimics camera neutral.

I may just build my own profiles using my xrite color checker passport and dng software.

6. gardnergareth

gardnergareth New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2011
    London UK
    I have to say that none of them matches Adobe standard directly - the colours I am getting using the Huelight profiles are much more 'natural' and realistic. I have found them to be really useful.

7. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    As I understand it, that means that you are using Adobe's standard profile for that camera. In other words, yes there is a profile for the GX7 and you are using it.

It doesn't mean that you are using a notional 'standard' profile applied when Adobe doesn't have a profile for that specific camera.

8. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    You know what...I pulled them into CS6 and did a compare there and you are right. the Huelight standard is less contrasty than Adobe standard. I didn't see that much of a difference though in LR5.3, in the prophoto color space. If there is one in prophoto, it's far too subtle for my eyes to see. I'd have to export / edit in CS6 each time to gauge the effect, and that is a workflow killer.

That is true - Adobe's standard profile is developed as an approximation by camera. They even revamped the adobe standard profiles by camera in Dec 2013 LR 5.3. But I still find Adobe standard to be far too contrasty - and I would love to see additional profiles aside from that one, as it is the only one that shows up in 5.3.

My EM5 has a few others - Camera Natural, Camera Portrait, Camera Muted etc - and my D700 has even more that have been developed by LR. I'm looking for something that tones down the contrast even more than that - something exactly like what Camera Neutral (on other camera models) gives me. Love the skin tones from Camera neutral!

I also have profiles from ps kiss - and I hate them for my D700. They don't have any currently for the GX7 although they said they were building some soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.