1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Raw file support in LR5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kittymama3, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Does LR5 not have any camera profiles for the GX7? Upon uploading RAW files, I only see Adobe standard - no approximations for any other camera profiles, such as neutral, etc.

2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Not got a GX7 but I would suggest the Huelight profiles. These gave me a few options and better colours than Adobe did for my EM5 - I still use them now - the best $10 I've ever spent on photography!!

There are a few posts on this forum about them.

http://www.colorfidelity.com

3. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you! I had forgotten about color fidelity. I bought profiles for my d700 and am happy to see the gx7 on the list.

4. Ultbruin

Ultbruin Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    Cool I'll look into it as well. Just started using Lightroom 5 with my GX7 raw files. Still shooting in RAW+jpeg. Jpeg for many situations are exceptional.

5. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Just an FYI In case you were wondering....there are three profiles. One of them seems to match adobe standard directly. The other is a lower contrast and the other is a higher contrast profile. I actually had bought these for my d700 awhile ago and wasn't that impressed and I felt similarly about the gx7 profile. I am looking for a base that mimics camera neutral.

I may just build my own profiles using my xrite color checker passport and dng software.

6. gardnergareth

gardnergareth New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2011
    London UK
    I have to say that none of them matches Adobe standard directly - the colours I am getting using the Huelight profiles are much more 'natural' and realistic. I have found them to be really useful.

7. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    As I understand it, that means that you are using Adobe's standard profile for that camera. In other words, yes there is a profile for the GX7 and you are using it.

It doesn't mean that you are using a notional 'standard' profile applied when Adobe doesn't have a profile for that specific camera.

8. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    You know what...I pulled them into CS6 and did a compare there and you are right. the Huelight standard is less contrasty than Adobe standard. I didn't see that much of a difference though in LR5.3, in the prophoto color space. If there is one in prophoto, it's far too subtle for my eyes to see. I'd have to export / edit in CS6 each time to gauge the effect, and that is a workflow killer.

That is true - Adobe's standard profile is developed as an approximation by camera. They even revamped the adobe standard profiles by camera in Dec 2013 LR 5.3. But I still find Adobe standard to be far too contrasty - and I would love to see additional profiles aside from that one, as it is the only one that shows up in 5.3.

My EM5 has a few others - Camera Natural, Camera Portrait, Camera Muted etc - and my D700 has even more that have been developed by LR. I'm looking for something that tones down the contrast even more than that - something exactly like what Camera Neutral (on other camera models) gives me. Love the skin tones from Camera neutral!

I also have profiles from ps kiss - and I hate them for my D700. They don't have any currently for the GX7 although they said they were building some soon.