1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 raw file format not available in all modes?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kittymama3, Feb 17, 2014.

1. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    I always shoot RAW - but I noticed that in iAuto - I don't have the option to set it to RAW. I use iAuto when handing my camera over to someone else (so I can be in the pic). Is this not an option anywhere? I prefer to shoot RAW regardless of which exposure mode (manual, semi-automatic, or automatic) I'm using.

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    iA mode has always been jpeg only. The GX7 is no different.

P, A, S, are automatic modes with RAW. M is manual mode with RAW. I have no idea what 'semi-automatic' means.

Think of iA as a scene mode where the camera automatically selects which scene type to use.

3. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Ok thanks. I thought iA was the equivalent of green box mode - fully automatic- turn it on and point and shoot. Even on my old dslr I could shoot raw with green box (auto). Semi auto - a, s mode as you are dictating one aspect of exposure -that is how I and others have referred to it before. But that is just semantics.

I will take note before using iA. I gave my camera to someone switched it to iA and had them take the pic and the white balance was horribly off which I correct so easily with raw. As I assumed my raw setting was retained when I switched to iA. Guess not! But now I know.

4. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I get raw with iA. I just tested my G2 & G5, I get both, raw and jpeg. They are both set to to raw and jpeg all the time. Maybe the GX7 is different, I don't know.

5. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Interesting. I definitely don't see it as a file option for iA. Which is a bummer esp if they have it for other panasonic models

6. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    K looks like you can use raw using iA+ not iA

7. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I compared manuals for my g's and gx7. Looks like you have to use iA+.

edit: oops, looks like you found that out.

8. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you for checking!