1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Quality Not Receiving Good Reviews.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BobBill, Oct 25, 2013.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    When I heard this product was being made in China, I shuddered, and now it seems the product is lacking buildwyze, though it may function well...and what about the manufacturing conditions? I will stick with the Oly EP-3, goofy menu etc for the money-edited for clarification.

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    So, go ahead and actually read what you just wrote. The edit function will do you well young BobBill, it will do you well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Where do we begin? Facts apparently do not come into the picture here? As far as China goes, most companies would be thrilled to have products with the reputation for quality that Apple's China-made products enjoy. Would you rather have a D800 (Japan) or D600 (Thailand), both of which have been plagued with problems? :rolleyes:

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You do realize that the E-P3 (and indeed all Olympus bodies at this point) are also made in China?

• Like Like x 1
  5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Not just bodies... I think all the lenses as well.

6. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    hahaha~~~

yS8YGZt.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Actually a lot of panasonic models are made in Japan, don't know about the GX7, but I used to hear that Panasonic is moving some production out of Japan so this may be it. however don't worry about Chinese-made, we have a lot of cheap stuffs with bad quality in China but that only means there's such demand, which GX7 certainly is not.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Perfect! :thumbup:

9. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Actually I did not. But what I have read about shoddy assembly etc has put me off somewhat...and now that I looked at the body bottom I see China is maker, I have Lumix lens on it and mistook that made in Japan for the whole rig...mea culpa, but still does not expunge the complaints I read about the 7's build quality. My orig 14-43 metal flanged Oly is also Nippon.

I really do not care about source, but the untoward comments I read put me off, as I noted.

And thanks, I figure all y'all would put me straight.

10. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Okay. Shoot me!

11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am big on buying from companies that manufacture themselves, in their home countries. That said, my E-M5 was made in China and my currently-most-lusted-after camera, the Sony A7R, sounds as if it will be made in Thailand.

Oh yeah, and the dials haven't fallen off my OM-D yet! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  12. The GX7 that I handled last night felt like a good quality piece of kit and was well put together. From a design (not manufacturing) point of view, the thing that didn't feel quite right about it was totally different tactile feel between the front (upper) and rear control dials.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What exactly have you read?

--Ken

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm not sure about that - the 12/2 was made in Japan (not sure if it still is) and I believe the 12-40/2.8 will be too.

15. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    All my Panasonic Lenses are Japan made. Not that I'm worried about it :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  17. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    OP has bad info - my US purchased GX7 is labeled "Made in Japan" on the bottom. And I think the quality of assembly is just as good as anything Olympus puts out.

I also think to universally condemn "made in China" as crap is also unfair. While I will be the first to state I refuse to purchase foodstuffs sourced in China due to lax health standards and numerous contamination episodes (the latest is some China sourced jerky treats killing 600 dogs), I do not hesitate to purchase things like B&W loudspeakers, Nikon or Olympus cameras/lenses or Apple computers where the parent company sets standards. The problem isn't the ability or skill of Chinese workers, but the ethics and philosophy of the parent company. There's examples of crappy products being made in Japan and the US, too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr. Scruples

Mr. Scruples Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    My G7 body says "Made in Japan" on the bottom as well, but the 14-42 kit lens says "Made in China".. maybe that's what the OP is referring to?

• Like Like x 1
  19. niclashill

niclashill Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2012
    China?

gx7_serial_nr.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2