GX7 Program Shift showing up in Manual mode - every exposure mode BUT program

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kittymama3, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    My new GX7 is driving me crazy. When I switch to manual mode and adjust the dials - it invokes program shift (which I thought was ONLY for P mode). There is no way (that I can tell) to independently change shutter/aperture in manual mode.

The same thing happens in Aperture and Shutter priority - Program shift kicks in. I can't independently change just aperture or shutter, respectively, for each of those modes.

Ironically, the only time I can set aperture and shutter independently (which is what I would expect of Manual mode) is during Program mode. No Program shift appears.

What is going on?? Do I have a faulty mis-mapped exposure dial??? Or maybe a setting somewhere that is throwing program shift by default across the almost all exposure modes?? User error in dialing in shutter / aperture? I'm not sure why program shift is showing up in non-P exposure modes.

Any help would be appreciated!!! I am ready to chuck this thing and go back to my EM5 (which I don't want to do - I like the features of the Gx7 better but I can't figure out exposure settings!!):confused:

2. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    So it appears my exposure dials are mapped incorrectly. Like massively incorrectly. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. hit_and_misanthrope

hit_and_misanthrope Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    Did you try resetting the camera settings or updating your firmware? I too have noticed some apparent flakiness with the camera settings, but given the ridiculous complexity it is hard to tell if it is the camera behaving weirdly or if I am just not familiar enough with all the settings. I suspect it is the latter, but time will tell, I guess.

4. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    Yep. I reset it several times and upgraded the firmware to 1.2 and the dials are still messed up. There is no A mode despite having a dedicated aperture dial. And several of the modes on the dial are mapped to program mode and the p mode is mapped to manual mode. It is a mess! Luckily I just got it and Amazon is overnighting me a replacement. I really hope this is not a sign of panasonics quality control!

5. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Wow, that doesn't sound good! I hope the new body solves the problem; if not, can you take and post a quick camera phone video of what you're seeing here?

6. kittymama3

kittymama3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    If this new body doesn't solve the problem I may have to switch back to my omd em5 as I will have lost faith in panasonic's quality control ha! I will post an update when my new one arrives today. Amazon was very prompt about sending out a replacement