1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

gx7 pricing

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by westcan, Aug 2, 2013.

1. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Apologies if this has been covered. As a Canadian I always check US prices as well.

Body only pre-order price in US, $999 at Amazon, BHPhoto, etc
    Body only pre-order price in Canada $1099.99, at Henrys

The US/CDN price gap is till there, although I guess it is narrowing....sigh

I was disappointed in the high price at first, but then I realized to buy a GX1 body as well as the electronic viewfinder I would spend a minimum $460 (body $299 CDN on ebay and viewfinder $160 + duties from BHPhoto)

So approximately double the price for the body only doesn't seem so bad, considering the other features.

Waiting in anticipation of a full review.

2. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Yes, maybe $1k+ is not bad for a new model camera body. However, the GX1 could have been purchased recently for $200 + $161 for a LVF2 in the USA (don't know about Canada).

Pricing not only depends on where you are but when you chose to buy. You can still buy two GX1s with LVF2 for the price of one, yet to be sold or shipped GX7.

Depends what you like, want, and need.

3. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    yes, I missed that $200 pricing, the camera was no longer available by the time I found out about it. Bummer!

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But two GX1's still won't give you the (presumably) better IQ, IBIS, Focus Peaking, built-in (unable to lose) EVF, or any of the dozens of other features of the GX7.

Close-out items are always cheaper than the latest items, and if they meet your needs may indeed be a good buy, but using them as a pricing guide probably doesn't mean much. A better comparison would be to the OM-D when it was introduced, the E-P5 with accessory EVF, and the GH3. And maybe the E-PL5 and G6 at introduction.

5. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    At least in Canada we have the option of a black body and the 20mm kit. I think many from the US will be ordering the Black 20mm kit ($1299CA = $1260US) from Henry's in Canada as they ship to the US for $12.95. Henry's will also handle any warrantee issues if you ship it back to them.

6. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Here in the UK it is advertised at Wex Photographic, £819.00 body only with free case and battery and £999.00 with 20mm lens and free case and battery.
    That copares well, when the EM-5 came out it was priced at £1000 in the States and £1000 here in the UK

7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    If I ever upgrade to the GX7, I might order from Canada too, partially depending on price, as I much prefer a black body.

8. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Well, even at the current Amazon price of $300 for a GX1 and $160 at B&H for a LVF2 I think it’s a good value. However, I admit to being a GX1 fan, it works well for me. :smile:

Nice to have choices.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    We have no idea yet about image quality. I would feel better about it if they just said they stuffed Omd/gh3 sensor in there . Until proven otherwise I think there's still a chance its another Gh2 sensor version.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, the fact is, Panasonic is claiming that the GX7 sensor is 6 DB better than the GH3 sensor in it's signal to noise ratio. Of course, we need to see independent testing of that claim rather than take it at face value. But if that's actually true, that translates to a dynamic range of just over 13 EV, and would get it a DxOmark score in UPPER 70s! The folks who have shot with pre-production versions of the GX7 are saying that the output looks to be at least as good as the output of the OM-D. It seems pretty clear this is not just a tuned GH2 sensor. Whether it's really better than the Sony sensor in the OM-D awaits confirmation through testing.

Panasonic GX7 Review: Hands-On Preview

11. iHadJelloToday

iHadJelloToday Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Well stated! I just got an e-p3 and love it! I'll wait for a few years to get the e-p5 or gx7 , etc.

12. gregorywe

gregorywe Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Agreed, I think I'll wait for the price to come down on the GX7 like it did for the GX1

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm probably not willing to pay to replace my existing 20mm, but I might consider paying a bit extra for the black body, IF I end up buying one of these.

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Pretty sure you could turn around and sell the new 20mm for at least $300, or the old one for ~ $250 or so