1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 - "Please turn camera off and then on again”

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wanjeyin, Jan 3, 2014.

1. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Anyone have an issue with this? My screen shows this when I've taken a shot after the body has gone to sleep and woken up again. This is most annoying! Haven't tried other lenses other than the 20mm/1.7. Body is on v1.1 firmware.

Thanks!

Andrew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. ceklund

ceklund New to Mu-43

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes. The first time I turned the GX7 on it displayed the message just after asking me to set the calendar. It did this 4 or 5 times. I set it aside with the belief I would take it back to the camera store. When I tried it the next morning it worked fine and has since then.

Chuck

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
  4. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Will upload 1.2 tonight and report my findings.

5. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    So far so good! v1.2 so far has cured my problems! It's also added the ability to add flash adjust to either the quick menu or assign to one of the function buttons.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    I'll have to correct my earlier assessment. Yesterday, from a cold start, my unit displayed the message after the first frame was taken.

Very frustrating. Anyone else with this issue?

Regards,
    Andrew

7. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    I had this issue and contacted Panasonic. It's a fatal error and needs to be serviced. I bought mine from Amazon and was able to just get a new one... too bad I sent my UV filter along with the old camera.

Here is the text from my chat:
    Customer marvin says: hi, i have the gx7 and after it has been sitting for a while, the camera asks me to switch it off then on after the first picture
    Customer marvin says: is that normal?
    Agent Walida S. says: I'm sorry but that is not normal
    Agent Walida S. says: The unit will need to be repaired
    Agent Walida S. says: If your product is still under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty, you may send it in to get an exchange for the same or a similar model. Please send a copy of your receipt along with a description of the problem, include your product with no accessories and which also excludes SD cards, your name, U.S. mailing address (no P.O. boxes) and a daytime telephone number to the following address:

Panasonic Customer Service Center,
    4900 George McVay Drive Suite B Door #12,
    McAllen, TX 78503.

Customer marvin says: how long does that usually take
    Agent Walida S. says: It usually takes 3 weeks to get back to you once it is received
    Customer marvin says: ok thanks
    Agent Walida S. says: You're welcome
    Agent Walida S. says: Thank you for visiting. Please contact us at anytime.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Oh, that's great and thanks for the detailed manuscript! May I assume the exchange has solved your issues? It's a shame I may have to send it to Panasonic as I've become quite fond of this camera. I'll update as we go along.

Regards,
    Andrew

9. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    I got a new one from Amazon and no problems.:2thumbs:

10. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Argh, three weeks? I may just hang on for a bit and hope for a firmware fix. Sigh.

11. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Oh, re-read damnilocano's response and realized instead of returning to Panasonic he/she returned to where it was bought, Duh. I'll be calling B&H, then.

12. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    This is complete BS. I've spoken to two Panasonic representatives and they both told me I have to ship it to Mississauga, Ontario from where I am (Burnaby, British Columbia) and have it serviced there with a 3 week turnaround (I'm in Canada). They say that the GX7 is not an exchangeable item. From what the camera store where I bought it tells me, Panasonic (Canada) does not allow for a "middleman" to be involved with warranty issues. Another words, I can't simply exchange my unit from the camera store here and instead, have to wait for 3 weeks for my camera to come back! Screw this. For this reason alone, I'm willing to jump ship over to Olympus!

Sorry for the rant.

Andrew

13. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Lame. Hoping I don't have the same experience here in the states...

14. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    The second representative did suggest that I do a complete camera reset. So far after 2 days, no message! Will update. So try a reset if you are having problems.

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sorry to hear about your problem. :frown: For purposes of clarity for future readers, did they say whether the exchangeable item that they did not want to offer you was a new body, or a refurbished body? If it was the latter, which companies sometimes offer, and your dealer was not able to replace your defective body, then getting your camera serviced might be better than getting a refurbished model sent to you. There was a thread here a while ago about a less than pleasant experience with Panasonic USA service, and IIRC, the refurbished model they sent out to the OP did not sound like it was what would want to receive in exchange for a purchased camera.

Good luck,

--Ken

16. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Damn that really sucks. I purposely ordered from Amazon because of their return policy.

How do you do a full camera reset? I don't think I tried it.

FWIW, after trying the recommended fixes, you can recreate the problem by taking out the battery. I pulled it out all the way; pulling out halfway just gives you false hope.

17. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Go to the Setup menu and find the reset option (2nd from the top on page 5 of the menu). So far so good. Try this and report back.

Andrew

18. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I'm using firmware v1.1, tried the reset early on for other reasons, still have had the problem.

That said, it's intermittent and I haven't been able to determine precise replication steps to make it happen. The best guess was that it would happen after the first shot when the camera had been "awakened" from sleep mode, but it doesn't seem to do it all the time. Simply taking the battery all the way out and replacing it hasn't triggered the behavior for me.

19. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Unfortunately, this is still happening to me too. I'll take my time to call Panasonic Canada. This will need to be resolved by them and them alone it seems.

20. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Need to send it in.

Recently spoke to what seemed to be a knowledgeable person at the US service facility in TX. This error is associated with the in body stabilizer. It usually occurs after the body was dropped, or received a good bump to the side of the body. They suggested the camera be sent in. Door to door turn around time via UPS 2nd day for a previous repair was 9 days, so I would not anticipate any long down time. Don't know about the service turn around time in Canada.

• Like Like x 2