1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Pinpoint Focus Mode

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mr. Scruples, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Mr. Scruples

Mr. Scruples Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    Can anyone tell me how to turn activate "Pinpoint Focus" on the GX7 (it's the [+] icon on the focus mode screen)??

I've read and re-read both manuals, but for the life of me I can't understand why it's disabled :hmmm:

2. eltictac

eltictac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Don't you just press the left button on the joypad and then the five auto focus icons appear. Then you touch the screen to select the pinpoint one. Unless I haven't understood properly what you're asking! (which is highly possible! :tongue:)

3. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    Yes, that's exactly what the manual says to do, but for some inexplicable reason, the pinpoint icon is always greyed-out. I'm stumped!

4. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    Is it to do with the camera mode? I have a feeling that pinpoint is only available in manual and semi-automatic modes - probably wrong though.

5. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I can't reproduce your problem but now i am getting two types of little crosses. one is white and the other is blue. I thought the blue one had to do with AE but it won't go away. See it is like i said this camera can be weird.

• Like Like x 1
  6. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    The white one is the pinpoint AF one. The blue one is for AE touch. You can set them at different positions but I don't know the use for it and it acts weird on Pinpoint AF mode. You have to press the Menu/Set button to get to the pinpoint AF but this way, you can only set the area in AF mode by tapping AF Area on the lower right. It's really a weird behavior when both AE touch and Pinpoint AF are combined.

You can turn it off in Custom Settings page 8, under Touch Settings, and set Touch AF to just AF, so that touch will work properly on pinpoint AF. AE works automatically anyway on half-press (at least on mine).

As for the greyed out Pinpoint AF..... After 30 minutes, I can't reproduce the problem as well. Could it be a lens issue? But I doubt....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    OK, I've figured this out.

Pinpoint Focus is ONLY available when the Autofocus Mode is set to AFS -- apparently I had set it to AFF somehow, which disables Pinpoint.

The blue cross indicates Spot Metering is set to ON. I think it might also appear if you've activated Touch AE.. the manual says you can return it to the centre of the screen by touching Reset..

I gotta say.. it's definitely a bit of a mixed bag having such a complicated camera.. on the one hand, there are a ton of tools there to help get things just right.. on the other hand, remembering what each tool does, and the quirky rules they all have is a bit much for my tired old brain!

• Like Like x 1
  8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Oh yah, it's also blue when Spot Metering is on...

As for Pinpoint AF, mine doesn't turn grey even when I'm on AFF and AFC.... SUPER WEIRD.

EDIT: Apparently even if I set it to AFF and AFC in the menu, it stays on AFS.... I'm confused.

EDIT2: Apparently AFF and AFC doesn't work on the 20mm. Problem solved. :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Wow! Thanks all. I need to copy this all down. I will say this camera has more settings contingent with other settings than anything I have seen. I took it to the Fort Lauderdale boat show and fiddled with it on the plane ride back. I still have two mysteries. Why can't I use flash without going to default settings, such as C-1 and how do you use quick settings if the touch function is turned off? That said there are many different ways of using this camera,all worth exploring. I think I have spot focusing nailed.

10. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    I'm surprised they don't disable the Focus Mode menu when you have the 20mm mounted. *sigh* writing the firmware for a beastie like this must be a seriously challenging job..

11. Mr. Scruples

Oct 21, 2013
    Toronto
    Gabriel
    You can't use the Quick Tab if you set Touchscreen to OFF, but you can still use it if you only set Touch Focus to OFF and leave Touchscreen ON.

I've found this to be my preferred setup since I don't have to worry about accidentally changing focus with my nose or something, but still get the other conveniences of the touchscreen.

Of course, you can also set up the Quick Menu button to let you access all kinds of settings easily.

• Like Like x 2