GX7 picture-in-picture focus peaking?

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find a specific answer using the forum search (or Google, for that matter)...

On my GX1, I quite like the picture-in-picture magnification for manually focusing with legacy lenses, as I can still frame and focus at the same time. However, the resolution on the GX1 screen is noticeably pretty poor, and I find I can't nail critical focus unless I enlarge to full screen (in which case I lose framing).

Basically, what I'm wondering is does the GX7 allow focus-peaking (in the EVF, ideally) while in the picture-in-picture magnified view? And is the resolution sufficiently usable to ensure actual focus? With the exception of the Fuji X-T1's split-screen focusing aid, this seems like it would be the holy grail to me. I would be super grateful if someone could take a picture of their LCD or EVF of this focus peaking implementation, if it is actually possible.

Many thanks!

Real Name
Andrew
Sold my GX7 but I am quite sure that the peaking worked in the magnified view. And yes I would say it was rather easy to manual focus if I wanted to. Panasonics focus peaking is much better than the E-M1's which introduces some pretty serious VF lag while the GX7 stays nice and smooth.

Sent from my Samsung Note II via mu-43 app.

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
Basically, what I'm wondering is does the GX7 allow focus-peaking (in the EVF, ideally) while in the picture-in-picture magnified view?

The answer is yes. The GX7 focus peaking and magnified view make MF very easy. So much so that I rarely use AF when shooting with my GX7. I use a variety of lenses - MF Nikkors, M mount RF and native u4/3 lenses.

laser8

Mu-43 Veteran
The answer is yes. The GX7 focus peaking and magnified view make MF very easy. So much so that I rarely use AF when shooting with my GX7. I use a variety of lenses - MF Nikkors, M mount RF and native u4/3 lenses.

+1

I find the resolution so much better than the GX1 that I even turned off the magnified view (if needed, one can bring it back just by pressing the left button (the one with AF focusing options)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
+1

I find the resolution so much better than the GX1 that I even turned off the magnified view (if needed, one can bring it back just by pressing the left button (the one with AF focusing options)
I turned my magnification off as well. I don't think its a resolution issue though. From my tests it seems that the peaking works the same, its sensitivity is the same, whether I am looking at a magnified view or a normal view. So the magnification is just a distraction, especially with longer lenses.

stw

Mu-43 Regular
I turned my magnification off as well. I don't think its a resolution issue though. From my tests it seems that the peaking works the same, its sensitivity is the same, whether I am looking at a magnified view or a normal view. So the magnification is just a distraction, especially with longer lenses.

Agreed, I am finding it to be a distraction as well, but haven't turned it off yet. I think I will try that out.

Fineshriber

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Scott Fineshriber
+1

Could you please fill me in on how to keep focus peaking on, but turn the magnification off with the GX7. I'm having trouble finding the setting. Love the peaking, don't want magnification at the same time. Thank you!

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... but turn the magnification off with the GX7. ...
Go to the setup menu section with the little wrench symbol and the "C." The thing you want to kill is called "MF Assist" on the third page of 8 pages (!) of stuff. There are four options: Off, Automatic Turn-on if the MF ring it twisted, Automatic turn-on if the left arrow button is pressed (laser8's choice), and Automatic turn-on with either the MF ring or the arrow.

FWIW, I find that I can almost always find an obscure feature by searching the PDF version of the "Advanced" GX-7 manual. You can find it online or as a possibly-out-of-date version on the CDROM that came with the camera.

HTH

BLT

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
James
Yes focus peaking is def' available in the magnified centre box. I use this all the time and it is aces for MF.

The clarity of the image however on both the screen and the EVF is about good enough to not need the peaking all the time. Certainly with longer lenses it can be quite easy.

Like wise the peaking can often be used solo such is it's accuracy.

I have the Fn 1 button set to turn on the centre magnification. My natural shooting position is finger on the shutter and thumb on the AE lock. This means that the joint of my thumb is always over the Fn1 button, making activating the Centre Focus Box very easy. And when you half press the shutter, the box disappears so you can confirm composition before taking the picture.

IT's Perfect for MF legacy glass. That is ultimately why I recently purchased this camera over the E-M10, it is just so good for MF. Plus I like the 'big' grip for bigger lenses.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks, BLT, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Makes my decision between the EM10 and GX7 more difficult. I really like the ergonomics and handling of Panasonic bodies.

The big deal breaker for me is that I can't use Auto ISO in M mode, which makes using manual (telephoto) lenses a pain in the tail. It seems like such a trivial feature to add in firmware, but Panasonic seems ideologically opposed to it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

svenkarma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
mark evans
The big deal breaker for me is that I can't use Auto ISO in M mode, which makes using manual (telephoto) lenses a pain in the tail. It seems like such a trivial feature to add in firmware, but Panasonic seems ideologically opposed to it.

To be fair to Panasonic - and it has given me the occasional 'oh ffs' moment - the 'M' does after all stand for 'Manual' and 'Auto' kind of runs contrary to that.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
To be fair to Panasonic - and it has given me the occasional 'oh ffs' moment - the 'M' does after all stand for 'Manual' and 'Auto' kind of runs contrary to that.
Certainly it's fair. But if that's their rationale, just give me a separate A/S mode on the dial instead of calling it M. That clutters up the interface a bit more, but if they're unwilling to add auto to M, it's a big hole in the functionality.

Panasonic seems to have recognized it, too, since both the GH4 and FZ1000 have Auto ISO in M mode, as they should. It's just unfortunate that it means I won't buy a GX7. Maybe it's fortunate, keeps the G.A.S. in check...

Latest threads

Top Bottom