GX7 or ???

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
The GX7 and 20mm go really well together, almost as if the designers had the 20mm in mind as the ideal companion for the camera. Still slower to focus than most other lenses I've used, but not so slow I'd choose something else!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

iamwhoiam

Mu-43 Regular
I do have some concerns regarding the slow focusing with the 20mm. I deal with focus hunting with my Pentax K-01 and it can be frustrating especially when I need to focus on something quickly.

Lettermanian

Mu-43 Regular
Just give yourself some time to get used to it; to find what grip style works best for it. I'm really liking the 20mm. The lcd is very clear so I actually am using the evf less. Just remember to turn off the "Touch AF" and the "Touchpad AF" so your nose doesn't change the AF area when you use the evf. Enjoy :)

westcan

Mu-43 Regular
...........I handled the GX7 at a local camera store as well as the K-50 and a few Oly micro 4/3rds and liked the GX7 and K-50 the best (although would choose K-3 over K-50). I do have some concerns about the placement of the viewfinder because I am left eye dominant. However, I did try to use the GX7 with my right eye and was able to do that although it's not natural for me but it can be done. I'd probably get used to it over time.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions.

I have had the gx7 for quite a while now, and use the EVF quite often. I too find it difficult because I am left eye dominant, but I just figured out that all I have to do is use the tilt function on the EVF, tilting it up a bit so that then my nose stops jamming into the LCD. (that only took me a year to figure out...... doh!!!)

iamwhoiam

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the EVF/LCD advice. I will try to remember to turn off the Touch/touchpad AF, will work w/ tilting the viewfinder but am also going to try using my right eye and get accustomed to doing that at least w/ the GX7. :smile:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I recently got a GX7 and really like it, especially the 'silent mode' but for some reason Panasonic decided that when the silent mode or the electronic shutter (they are different settings) are used then the flash can't be used - what's up with that?! Other than that it is a great camera and I have been very pleased with it. Makes a great companion for my G5 but I find myself using the GX7 the most.

Flash can't work with today's electronic shutters because the flash duration is much shorter than the time from when the first pixel is read until the last one. And aside from that, there's kind of no point in "silent mode" when you're triggering a flash.

Latest threads

Top Bottom