1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 or ???

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by iamwhoiam, Nov 29, 2014.

1. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    I have been considering upgrading from my G3 and the GX7 is one of my choices but I am wavering and going back and forth from one camera to the next:
    GX7, GH3, G6, Pentax K-3, Pentax K-50. In addition to the G3 I have three Pentax cameras, the K-01, K-7 and K-10d. There is some great pricing on the cameras I am considering right now, I've compared images and specs from all of them. I usually do not have such a hard time trying to choose a camera but for some reason I am just unsure and would appreciate any input especially regarding the GX7 and what it offers or doesn't offer as compared to the other cameras.

I mainly do nature photography and take lots of photos of my birds. I want something that offers high iso, does well in low light, fast autofocus, good ergonomics, good viewfinder. I have the following Lumix and Sigma lenses: Sigma 19 and 30/2.8, Lumix 14-42 kit lens, 100-300. I am planning on getting the 20/1.7. I know that my Pentax lenses can be used with micro 4/3rds with an adapter and those lenses are: Pentax 35/2.4, 43/1.9, 100/2.8, 55-300, 17-50 Tamron.

I handled the GX7 at a local camera store as well as the K-50 and a few Oly micro 4/3rds and liked the GX7 and K-50 the best (although would choose K-3 over K-50). I do have some concerns about the placement of the viewfinder because I am left eye dominant. However, I did try to use the GX7 with my right eye and was able to do that although it's not natural for me but it can be done. I'd probably get used to it over time.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    given your intended usage and existing lens collection, I am surprised that an OMD is not on your radar. E-M5 is going for good prices at the moment, and offers inbody image stabilisation with your pentax lenses

K

3. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    I handled it at the camera store and I wasn't comfortable with it. It felt a bit cramped and small to me.

4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    I think I should have posted this under "This or That" rather than here.

5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Anyone else have any recommendations or input?

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    What about a reconditioned or used EM1? PDAF might help a lot with the moving birds and the AF performance is no slouch what paired with appropriate lenses.

7. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

In another thread, you mentioned macro photography. I've found focus peaking to be a huge benefit for taking macro/closeup pictures of wildflowers and insects in uncontrolled conditions. (useful for manual focus for wildlife photos too.) The Panasonic G6 has an excellent implementation of focus peaking. The Oly EM5 does not have focus peaking. The OM1 and OM10 do. I have no experience with either.

The G6 sensor is older than that in the GX7 but it works fine at ISO 400 and 800.

In addition to focus peaking, an EVF can offer other benefits over any optical viewfinder: image magnification for manual focusing, blinkies / zebra stripes to show you a blown highlights/shadows condition as you show or immediately after and display of all sorts of info including histograms.

A key point for me was the size of the right-hand grip and the shutter button.. A small grip like the GX7, the em5 or the em10 was not comfortable for me. Be sure the ergonomics work for you before you buy.

8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I agree with all this - I tried a GX-7 based on wanting the focus peaking as well as the 1/8000sec shutter, the manual exposure preview, the 1/320 flash sync speed the wi-fi capability, and the manual video control (over my G5). As great as all those things were I couldn't get on with the smaller form factor. Today I found a used G6 for a good price and determined the few concessions in features were worth making for the better ergonomics. My G5 will be making its way to my father as a gift.

9. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Interesting. I have just got a GX7 to complement a G5. I find that if I try to hold a GX7 in the same way as the G5 or my dslr it doesn't feel right at all. What I do is to rotate my hand slightly so that I have two fingers round the grip, middle finger just above the grip, that way my forefinger falls naturally on the shutter button/front dial. Early days, but it seems fine. I do have fairly small, or at least stubby, hands.

Dave

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Im 6'3" so I suppose I have larger hands, however, I have no trouble with my E-PL1 or X100S ( though the latter had a half case on it). What I missed most from the G5 was the fully articulated screen and the zoom toggle (for exposure comp)

11. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    When it comes to cameras I don't want to buy used and the price of a new EM1 is more than I wanted to spend.

12. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    I have focus peaking on my K-01 and like having that feature and this is one of my requirements. I did try the GX7 out at the local camera store and I was fine with that whereas the EM5 & 10 felt very cramped to me. However, both my G3 and Pentax cameras have more comfortable grips than the GX7. One thing I like about the GX7 that the G6 doesn't offer is the in body stabilization, although I realize that the Olympus cameras offer better in body stabilization. If they put the features from the GX7 into a "G" camera (the G7??) I probably would have no difficulty buying one. I read a rumor somewhere that there were no current plans for another "G" camera.

I keep forgetting that I have $300 worth of Sony gift cards but for some reason their cameras are not calling out to me. :smile: I also don't want to start investing in another system.

13. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    What do you think of your GX7? Image quality, handling, focus speed, etc?

14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have just never thought of the GX-7 as a bird camera. It is a fine instrument but I have found the EM-1 or if cost is a consideration,the EM-5 to be better for birds. The key is the better in body image stabilization and the better EVF, Especially if you are a left eyed person like me. I the sun the Panny View finder glares. I was on the beach lying near some shore birds but I shaded the viewfinder with my hand. I still got good results with the GH-7. With the EM-1 you don't need to use your other hand. Can you photograph flying birds with the EM-1. Yes! I don't know about the GX-7. It is not the best for flying birds. Canons DSRL ,with no delay in shutter,are better. (Pardon heretical thoughts) See examples of EM-1 and EM-5 Bird action. Good-12. Good-7.

• Like Like x 1
  15. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Don't really know yet. Handling seems fine, though I think setting up the function buttons is important, which I borrowed from my G5.

Focus speed and iq will be very dependent on lens, but looks good on my Pany 14-14 mm

Dave

16. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    I've seen a few excellent birding photos using the GX7 but I have read that it's not the best for birding. However, even though I would use it for taking photos of wild birds outdoors, most of the bird photography would be of my own birds indoors.
    The price on it now is only $497 for body so I am extremely tempted, although I just purchased a 10-17 fisheye for my pentax K cameras. Since that is on backorder I could always cancel that but then maybe Panasonic is going to announce an upgrade from the GX7 or G6 and that's why the price is dropping so much on the GX7.

17. Lettermanian

Lettermanian Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2014
    Surrey BC, Canada
    I've surprised myself by quite enjoying my GX7. I had an EM1 and a G6 previously, and the GX7 is my favourite for my purposes. I've grown into the ergonomics and the image IQ in stills and video is excellent. I won't go into too much detail, but two standout features:

- fits in my coat pocket with either the 20mm f1.7ii or the Oly 9-18mm attached. Both of those lenses fit easily into a coat pocket, so no camera bag needed for an outing.

- bounce flash with the built-in flash is easy and works great. Can't do this with the G6 or the EM1, and don't need to buy an expensive, oversized flash unit.

18. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Thanks for the info. When B & H offered the GX7 the other day for $497 with a $100 gift certificate included I couldn't resist. It's on its way and I should have it the beginning of next week. :smile: I think I will use the $100 towards the 20/1.7 or maybe the Oly 45/1.8 or maybe I will find something else I want. Will wait and see how things go w/ the camera.

19. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    I recently got a GX7 and really like it, especially the 'silent mode' but for some reason Panasonic decided that when the silent mode or the electronic shutter (they are different settings) are used then the flash can't be used - what's up with that?! Other than that it is a great camera and I have been very pleased with it. Makes a great companion for my G5 but I find myself using the GX7 the most.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The GX7 and the 20 is a great body / lens combo in the hand. The IQ is what you expect from high end mu43 so ergs are the real distinguishng feature. Some complain about the AF speed of the 20 but it seems to work fine on the GX7.