1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 or OM-D5 with 35-100 (75) for sport video and glamour portraits

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pix530, Oct 2, 2013.

1. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    Have to choose body and lens...Again...

Most of the time I shoot portraits, so 75mm was my first idea.
    However, I have new challenging task - video shooting, which I never did with any of my cameras, except of Iphone )
    I will film ice hockey (indoor) only.
    So I decided 35-100 would be better fit, and I would be able to have ok video (i love the range) and ok portraits.

Please confirm what would you pick and why between these two?

Now second question: body.

I had om-d5 this summer and was happy with results from 25mm.
    All I need from camera is good af, M mode and RAW.
    And I almost decided I buy it again.

But now we have GX7, which I never used before. As I am going to use 35-100, I dont need body IS.
    Same price for both.

E-M1 is not for me as of now. I am not going to spend so much money, as the only advantage I see is cont AF...

Video quality is not important, all I need is to edit about 30-40 minutes of video and post on youtube.

Photo quality is very important. I do shoot in RAW and do very detailed work in PS.

2. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    For the lens, with the usage you want, I would go for the 35-100. You would get more reach for your hockey games and more versatility for your portraits in case you are in small to medium size rooms. I love my 75mm but could not use it in my studio except for headshots.

For the body, either will do a good job. IQ is similar. Faster shutter won't make a difference for your usage. I have both and would go for the GX7 for the ergonomics. (I would go for the GX7 for a lot more reasons but they don't apply to the usage you want to do).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    For the price you are discussing, consider the EM-1 (with free MMF3) and a 43 50-200 2.8/3.5 (used). The difference in kit price would be minimal as 50-200s can be had for under $500 (check KEH).

The extra range you get with the 43 lens will be nice with hockey.

• Like Like x 1
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
  5. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    this sounds like good advice. especially for CAF stills. it's a little bulkier, but you'll probably be more satisfied with the auto focus. the GX7 and EM1 will produce similar quality shots since they both have no AA filter.

6. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    Talanis, Exactly, I think that just one tele prime will limit some of my shooting a lot. Even outdoor. Faster shutter - no difference for me.

jeffryscott, E-M1 is overpriced IMHO. I can buy 3 OMD used for this price alone.
    50-200 SWD is 1kg lens and this is total overkill. In other words, I try to setup light mobile package...
    Also I'd rather have these 35-50mm than 100-200mm.
    I understand its a lot, but with one lens shorter end it better for me, 200-400mm in FF equivalent is out of my interests most of the time. The longest end of Panasonic which is 200mm is long enough for hockey rinks here in North America.

meyerweb, Thank you! I started to think GX7 + 35-100 would be my choose

7. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I just did some tests with the E-M5 and GX7. For high ISO, I really can't tell which is which. It seems on par. It's not a super scientific test, just a practical one and with my eyes, if I hide the filename, I can't tell which photo comes from which camera.

I did some handheld slow shutter tests too (non-scientific once again) and to my surprise, IBIS gives me about the same shutter speed. With the Olympus 45mm, I was ok at 1/15s but blurry at 1/8s on both camera (3 shots sample).

On my FF setup, my 70-200 is my most used lens for covering events (weddings, etc.) so I understand your preference.

8. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    Talanis, Thank you so much! I ordered 35-100 and I am almost sure this is what I need.
    In case IQ will not be good enough, I can always sell it in favor of 45+75.

About the body...I still think in between E-M5 that I had and I know for 820 new and GX7 for 899 new, while they have a discount...

No idea really. At least I wish I could borrow one GX7 and see if I like it better...

PS: I almost sacrifice the idea of used E-M5, as found one crap already on this forum, plus these $200 is almost nothing to compare to total $2000 package.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    gx 7 and omd em5... i am guessing no discernible difference in IQ...whatever that means... 100 or 200mm lens.. that makes a difference of you are shooing sports

K

10. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    - As I said 100-200mm range is out of my interest at all. I am happy with 70-200 and I found 200-400mm not used too often. I'd like to have 200-300mm if it would come with same size and price...But this is almost unreal so I will be happy with that range.

11. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I shoot video all the time with my 35-100. I use it on a GH3. Phenomenal quality. I had an EM5 and shot with the 35-100 and was never happy with the quality of the video. Never used a GX7.

12. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    I dont shoot video at all. Just something very new for me. And pretty specific.
    Quality - I dont understand what might be the difference if both bodies do fullhd 60fps?
    Ive heart Panasonic is much better than Oly for video...

13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Frame rate is only one aspect, and probably not the most important. See this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?p=534103 for more info.

Post # 15 may be of particular interest.