GX7 or EM1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by garethld, Sep 15, 2013.

1. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    Hi folks
    I fell in love with m43 after I bought the GX1. I then craved something with built in LVF so bought the G5. When I saw the GX7 announcement I thought - great more performance than the G5 in a body only slightly larger than the GX1... Buy it then sell both bodies.

Now I've just seen the EM1 with its weather sealed body and similar spec and I'm wondering if I should be considering this instead.

Is there any obvious reason why one would choose one over the other??

Thanks

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Yes, if you want to use fast aperture 4/3 lenses you certainly would want to use the EM1.

We don't know yet by how much, but it would also appear that the 5 axis IBIS is better in the EM1 and the regular 2 axis IBIS in the GX7. How much awaits rigorous testing - but if this is a key feature for you, then the EM1 would win.

In the GX7's favor, certainly it's smaller and lighter. Also it's $400 cheaper, and probably less obtrusive for street shooting. Shooting ergonomics will vary, but almost certainly, the GX7 will be better with small lenses (with large lenses, the EM1 would seem to have an edge).

Aside from the relative effectiveness of the GX7 IBIS, some other issues that we await more reviews are: Does the EM1 suffer the same issues of banding with the 20mm lens, and purple blotch flare with the 7-14mm that the EM5 suffers from?

My general sense is that, the more your shooting is biased toward long lenses, the EM1 would seem to be the better fit. Conversely, the more your shooting is biased toward wide angles, the GX7 would seem to be a better fit.

Of course, the added $400 cost of the EM1 might be the deciding factor for many folks.

3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I haven't had an opportunity to shoot with the GX7 yet, so my thoughts here are for the most part bordering on conjecture -- however, that said, I have shot with previous Panasonic bodies and have ALWAYS come back to Olympus iterations because of their signature (which I prefer over Panasonic's). My guess is that since Olympus continues to utilize Sony sourced sensors (and Panasonic obviously implementing theirs) that the same would be true in comparing the E-M1 with the GX7... Furthermore, Olympus's 5-axis IBIS is a SIGNIFICANT game-changer and for that alone, my vote would unanimously go to the E-M1! :hail:

• Like Like x 1
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Admittedly, 5 axis IBIS matters to SOME people, but by no means is that unanimous.

5. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Im new to m43 and I am about to pull the trigger on a GX7

My regret (pregrets) are that I wont get 5axis, the nice new 12-40mm, all weather+ice, slightly bigger EVF (from what I guess), bigger grip, better battery life, faster frame rate, bigger frame buffer, slightly sharper images when pixel peep).

What I am looking forward to is a smaller and lighter form factor (why I am going m43), silver/black less pro look for street and parties, true silent shooting, much better video, tiltable flash, titlable evf eyepiece, 58mm filters for both pro pano lenses (others like two of the voigtlander also take 58mm).

But its still a hard call I deliberate over until the GX7 arrives.

• Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Buying the GX7 doesn't preclude the "nice new 12-40mm" lens at all. It will work just fine on the GX7.

• Like Like x 2
  7. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    fyi. my most used lenses in order - 20mm, 12-35mm, 45mm PL, 100-300mm

8. Faceinthecrowd

Apr 29, 2011
    For me no ois on a panasonic is a blur risk.
    Also if I get panasonic I don't want my zooms going different ways - to much muscle memory confusion.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The Panasonic GX7 has IBIS.

10. Faceinthecrowd

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah I know but it's unlikely to be good as the pant 12-35 with OIS.

Maybe the GH4? will get more advanced ibis.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What's your basis for making that statement? Certainly nobody has actually documented how good the IBIS is through rigorous testing in any of the GX7 reviews thus far

12. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    The GX7 isn't truly the EM-1's competitor. It seems squarely aimed at the Pen EP5, and it'll be the one I'll get for sure. The EVF and control layout are too good to pass up for me.

I'll say that Olympus has done a MUCH better job hyping the EM-1 with the online community (they've always been far ahead in this regard), taking to high-profile bloggers like Ming Thein and Robin Wong to review their products, always generating massive excitement. Meanwhile, Panasonic has... er, some annoying italian dude who trolls anyone who dares speak ill of the GX7 on DPReview and 4/3 Rumors forums...

• Like Like x 1
  13. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I think the GX8 will too. That is what I am holding out for. :)

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The GX7 has IBIS, and Micheal Reichman at Luminous Landscape says it works nearly as well as the IBIS on the EM-5. I love how people discount the opinion of someone who's actually used the camera, but have no problem reaching conclusions without having actually used it themselves.

And lenses working in opposite directions applies both ways. Unless you're never going to use a Panasonic zoom on an Oly camera.

15. Faceinthecrowd

Apr 29, 2011
    Ok, heres my hypothesis. IBIS is new for Panasonic and all their longer lenses are still coming out with OIS which turns off the IBIS when you attach to GX7. So fort his reason I "hypothesise" that IBIS for panasonic is not good enough for them to put on their roadmap no OIS lenses of any length. Else they would at least have the GX7 have the option to use the IBIS instead - and thats not there from what I have read.
    So yes, its a newbie gut call based on what I see. Plenty of people express opinions here and the better ones provide reasons for them. And I have no skin in the game yet; although the GX7 is my lead.
    Above you will see I was outlining pros and cons - and I am still torn. But I think if the GX7 was amazing for IBIS they would have allowed us to turn off OIS. I wish someone had an objective test for IS but I havent seen any reference to one anywhere. Am I missing something? Does the manual OIS switch allow for that?

As for zoom direction, I have read a few users here who have commented on this issues as being a challenge when they have different brans, so yes, sure you can use either but for muscle memory for quick intuitive actions, it would seem your better picking a brand and sticking with it unless your moving slow or really good at rewiring for each lens. Just an opinion.

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    But that doesn't justify your earlier unsupported statement that Panasonic's in lens OIS is no good. In actual fact, it's quite good. As long as you acknowledge that your opinion is far less informed than that of Michael Reichman's, since he actually did empirical comparisons, and you certainly didn't, we're good.

17. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    But what about image quality? Judging by the DPReview comparometer, I'd say both the E-M5 and the GX7 spank the E-M1 at higher ISO settings (in RAW). Also the E-M1 JPEGs are unexpectedly awful: oversharpened and overprocessed to the point of absurdity, plasticky and unnatural.

(On the other hand, the GX7 JPEGs show the same familiar green cast in yellows and oranges...)

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/9

18. Faceinthecrowd

Apr 29, 2011
    I said its unlikely to be good as the panasonic lens own OIS... allows for the possibility of being wrong, and hardly a definitive negative statement.

Anyway I dont want a war over this. For the reasons mentioned I think the GX7 would have smarts or an option to use the IBIS if its was better for some of their OIS lenses, else it would be a misstep.

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    But what if OIS is always the best solution? Even better than 5-axis sensor IBIS on longer lenses?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Faceinthecrowd

Apr 29, 2011
    Then my hypothesis is right.