1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 or E-M5?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by hugevibes, Oct 15, 2013.

1. hugevibes

hugevibes New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2013
    Hey everyone,

My first post here as I just wasn't that sold on the μ4/3ds system before, but now that it has matured I don't see why I wouldn't want to get in to this sytem. Amazing lenses for nice prices. Great size/quality ratio. Exactly what I've been looking for really. I currently own a Canon 500D, but I hardly use it because it's just way too cumbersome. Mostly want to take pictures when I hang out with my friends and such, or street shots for when I'm traveling. The camera doesn't really feel like the right tool for that.

For the former though, I'll probably want to do a lot of low-light/indoors. My main question is, as I prefer the GX7s style, if I couple it's IBIS with a fast lens (e.g the coupled 20mm f1.7) will that be enough for low-light or is the E-M5s just that much better? If someone can compare the shutter speeds I'd be able to reach with either that'd be great. Noise at higher ISOs seems close and it mostly gets down to the way either cameras handle noise reduction, so that discussion doesn't really matter. Either seem better than my current 500D

Another thing, how do the EVFs compare? The internet hasn't been exactly clear on if the GX7 has that rolling shutter effect when moving around or not, and neither has it been on the size. As long as it's usable though, will probably get an external OVF for the 17 or 20 because of the framing benefits

2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome to mu-43. I own both and the differences are very small other then the body shapes, so maybe it is better if you can try in a store eg I use a grip w/ E-M5... I prefer the gx7 body also though e-m5+grip works better in my hand.

Noise and dynamic range are similar. Gx7 has iso 100, 1/8000sec mech shutter (which is louder then e-m5) and e-shutter (which is silent). Rolling shutter happens with e-shutter due to 1/10 sec read speed, not in the evf. I am using it w e-shutter and so far it didn't affect me w/ non-moving subjects. Both has sensor IS (IBIS), but E-m5 IBIS is better. AF speeds are close, maybe gx7 a little faster esp its starting time. EVF is similar also, eg not like E-M1 size. 20mm af speed is on the slow side compared to newer lenses like oly 17mm 1.8 or Pana 25mm 1.4, which I prefer to use.

I have Oly 17mm optical viewfinder for Sony RX1 and I don't think you will need it with both cameras, it is more for e-m2/e-pl5.

Here is the dxo score for gx7 & e-p5 & e-m5:
    http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Pana...-PEN-E-P5-Versus-Sony-NEX-6-Results-are-close

• Like Like x 1
  3. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Interesting link

Thanks for the link, Serhan. The Dxomark information basically seems to corroborate both what I thought and what most people are saying - the similarities, performance-wise, between these 3 cameras are almost too close to call. So making a choice comes down to intangibles - subjective preferences - and, ultimately, one's own instincts.

4. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    Most important...play with both of them

I have the E-M5 with a RRS grip and I love the feel. I also used it for 2 months "naked" and it worked pretty well for me. However, the ergonomics of the E-M5 are its most controversial element...well...and maybe its video limitations compared to Panys.

So...play with both. I used an E-330 before my E-M5 and the GX-7 is very similar to that classic camera. It's a design I really like. You'll figure out the technical Pros and Cons based on your style of shooting, so I won't dwell on that here. What is important is that "hand to brain" connection. One will just feel better than the other, and after about 30 minutes with the cameras, you'll know which is better.

The GX-7 is the first Pany I'd own without hesitation, given the design and the IBIS. I think both are superb cameras.

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I also have both the GX7 and EM5. IQ is very similar - too close for me to care about. Handling is different, although one is not better than the other. Each has pros and cons, each has features the other doesn't. I can't distinguish the EVFs, except the tilting feature on the GX7, which is great. I have a slight preference for the GX7 UI, but the EM5 is more rugged and waterproof.

Both are great cameras, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Do you have confirmation that the read speed is 1/10 sec? I was hoping it might be quicker as this is a new camera with a new sensor...

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Remember that IS doesn't help stabilize subjects that move. And people almost always move. So let's say the GX7 lets you shoot at 1/15th second with the 20mm lens, and the EM5 lets you shoot at 1/4 second. If there are ANY people, or other moving items in the frame, they're going to be slightly blurry at 1/15th, and real blurry at 1/4.

If you could get to 1/8th second on the GX7, and 1/2 second on the EM5, things would be even worse.

IBIS is not the answer to shooting your friends in dim light, higher ISO or more light is. And it appears that, if anything, the GX7 has slightly (very slightly) better performance at high ISO.

8. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    Not concidering the EP5?

9. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I haven't tried to test it but dpreview poster claims 7hz out of 50 hz ~ 1/8.4sec close to 1/10sec:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52250155

10. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've only used the electronic shutter a few times in the Gx7 and haven't noticed the rolling shutter effect. I used the Nikon 1 V1 exclusively in e-shutter mode for 18 months and never saw it.

11. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    From GH3 blogs on e-shutter artifacts, Nikon has a faster read out speed:
    http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/12/gh3-electronic-shutter.html
    http://m43photo.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/gh3-electronic-shutter.html

• Like Like x 2