1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7, olympus lenses and JPEGs

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Hillshot, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Hillshot

Hillshot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Herefordshire
    Philip Jones
    A technical query.

I tend to shoot jpegs with my panasonic bodies and lenses. I can tweak the output in camera and have been more than pleased with results.

I am now thinking of getting the oly 45 1.8 and maybe the 35 1.8. Bearing in mind they are essentially designed for oly electronics, will they produce good JPEGs straight from my GX7/G3. I dont really want to use RAW etc.

Thanks

Phil

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I used the Oly 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 on the GX7 when I had it for a few weeks. They work perfectly. I saw no difference in the JPGs versus when I used the P14 or P20 on the GX7.

3. Hillshot

Hillshot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Herefordshire
    Philip Jones
    Brett

Thanks. Probably worrying about a problem that does not exist.

Regards

Phil

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Olympus lenses don't have any built-in chromatic aberration [edit: CA correction], no matter what body you use them on.

5. Hillshot

Hillshot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Herefordshire
    Philip Jones
    Chromatic Abberation

I take it you mean the body electronics don't correct this.

Phil

6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The lens electronics, yes.

7. Hillshot

Hillshot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Herefordshire
    Philip Jones
    Arg
    This raises an interesting point. Presumably all lenses have optical faults (i.e. CA, vignetting, loss of sharpness etc) because they are optical and made of glass. I understand that in camera processing of m4/3 bodies corrects some the worst of these defects.

You imply that the lens being electronic can also correct optical faults. I did not realise that this was the case. Sorry for being a bit thick but I am trying to get my head round this.

Regards

Phil

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm no expert but I understand the chip with the correction details is in the lens. The Olympus lenses' chips contains data for distortion correction and vignetting correction. The Panasonic lenses' chips contain data for distortion correction, vignetting correction, and CA correction. The body doesn't have a database of lens data, it reads the lens chip and applies the correction. Olympus body firmware is unable to process the CA correction data on a Panasonic lens. IIRC.

9. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Have used Oly 45 and 25 on my GX7 and have seen no noticeable difference vs. JPGs from my E-M5. Note I am not a hyper-technical shooter nor do I pixel peep so I could be missing differences not visible to the eye on my computer monitor. That said, no complaints at all, GX7 JPGs are great with the Oly lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love my GX7 with the OLY 12mm.. I have been using this combo for my street shooting and it is sweet! All i shoot is jpg from my Gx7 and EM5/EP5!

• Like Like x 1