1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Off Camera Flash

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by leftnose, Dec 17, 2013.

1. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Has anyone played with a hot shoe to PC adapter on a GX7? While it isn't a studio camera, I'd like to be able to use my GX7 as such from time to time instead of breaking out my Canon kit.

I've been using the built-in flash as an optical trigger but it gets a bit awkward holding the flash out of the way so it doesn't light the subject.

• Like Like x 1
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Just an FYI - the Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 is compatible with the u4/3 hot shoe and Panasonic or Olympus flashes. The locking pin to hold the cord in the hot shoe also works. The Nikon SC-17 off camera cord will work too.

8716837540_65776f4b64_n.

3. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Thanks. That doesn't quite give me enough separation, though.

4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I think Vello makes a much longer cord.

5. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Thanks. I appreciate your input. I should have included more information in my original post and reply. I have quite a bit invested in Canon and Canon-compatible speedlights. For that reason, I'm looking for a PC-based solution so I can use them with my GX7.

Yes, the sync cords you suggest could be used but I think I'd have to buy an MFT Panasonic or Oly flash and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The risk in using PC based flash units is that the trigger voltage can exceed the limits of the flash circuit in the camera. This is pretty much only a problem with older flash units designed before today's electronic wonders. BUT, if you have multiple flash units connected, the total voltage could add up to a problem. If you connect only one flash to the camera, and use Canon's wireless capability to fire the rest, you should be fine. IF that will work without the main flash connected to a Canon camera.

Another option is a hot shoe adapter with built-in over voltage protection.They're not cheap though:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/227625-REG/Speedotron_23508_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/245292-REG/Wein_W990560_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe_to.html

7. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    I remember having a 550ex before (when I had Canon kit), and I actually remember the flash not having a manual mode. Don't know if the newer ones are any better. If they have a manual mode though, I'm sure you could happily use a Canon sync cord and it would still trigger the flash. I agree with you on the SC-17, it's quite short. Longer ones are available for quite cheap on fleabay. I bought a 3 meter coiled version for $12.

8. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    If I understand you correctly, you might find my video here useful. It should be possible to make a version of the hood used quite easily.

9. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    if an optical trigger works apart from the potential interference I would just get a basic dirt cheap radio trigger and continue with the speedlights in the modes you currently use.

whilst I have a few FL50Rs and can use them under optical control in ideal conditions I also use them (and a few old favorites Contax/Hanimex etc) via radio triggers - and if I run out of triggers some get switched to optical slave mode ie you could get away with a single RX unit to one unit and leave the rest to be optically triggered by that one....or get a lot of RX units as you see fit.

10. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I've been doing more reading on this and I think I can do this with the gear I already own, no PC cord, hot shoe adapter etc..

For lights, I've got a Canon 430 EX II and two Yongnuo 565s. I've also got four Yongnuo 622 wireless triggers. In reading the manual for the triggers, they will sync any camera to the flashes up to 1/250 as long as the camera has a standard ISO hot shoe which the GX7 has. The flashes will only run manually with power adjustments only on flash instead of through a camera menu but that's fine, I can deal with that. The triggers are definitely low voltage units as well.

I'll give this a try tonight....

11. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    OK. I've done the testing. The 622 will definitely act as a trigger on top of a GX7 and set off Canon compatible flashes in manual mode sitting on other 622s. Yay! I finally don't need to buy something to achieve a goal!

12. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I suspected you might have some triggers already - but didn't want to confuse things. I use 'canon spec' radio triggers on m43 to fire the Oly flashes!