GX7 not switching on - intermittent failure

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Has anyone else had this happen to their GX7: Now and again the camera will not turn on when the on/off switch is operated. Switching off then on again resolves the situation. Most odd, and annoying.

2. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Once in a while!

3. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    What firmware version do you have? I think one of the fw updates solved that...

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Currently 1.0, but I'm about to update to the latest 1.3.
    One of the updates improves start up with the SD card, that could be related to the intermittent power up issue, but I'm not overly optimistic. Even if there is a problem reading the card, I'd expect the camera LCD and power on LED to light up, but nothing happens at all until I power down and on again.

Edit: V1.3 installed, time will tell if makes a difference.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  5. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Keep us posted, if you see a change in behaviour, ok?
    good luck

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Will do.
    By it's very nature it is intermittent, but I will see how it goes over a period of time. Downloading V1.3 has had a sort of placebo effect on me, but I guess the camera is less susceptible to such thoughts :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Still doing it, blast. So much for the placebo, it needs stronger medicine 'me' thinks!

8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Check the contacts on your battery and clean them if needed.

9. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Happened to me once, also. I'm keeping my eye on it just in case it happens again.

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It happens with several batteries, unless they are all tarnished. Could be the contacts in the camera, but they look gold plated and wouldn't oxidise.

11. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Worth a look. I noticed my second, third-party battery contacts were really quite tarnished last time this happened, much more so than my Panasonic branded battery that I purchased at the same time (of course, who knows how old either one is). Your in-camera contacts shouldn't oxidize but they can get gunk on them. I suppose we should periodically and carefully clean them.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    What would you suggest I use for cleaning, isopropyl alcohol?

13. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I haven't done anything more than blow some air into my battery cavity, but isopropyl alcohol's probably a good bet for the camera contacts; I used a pencil eraser on the battery contacts.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Happened a second time at the mall yesterday. Shucks.

15. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    There's nothing scientific about what I'm going to say, but I've noticed the GX7 to be more susceptible to this phenomenon when the battery loaded has less than half charge. I only use panasonic batteries, there's no 3rd party batteries in my kit box.

Edit: On reflection, more like 1/4 charge when the problem kicks in. Can others who have had the same issue see whether there is a dependency on theirs as well. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  16. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Hasn't happened to me since updating the OS and I use a mixture of batteries including the ones from my GF3.

17. ex machina

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Can't say I've noticed such. Pretty sure every time it's happened to me I've been inserting freshly charged batteries.

18. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Looks like a few of us with the same problem regarding the power-on switch not always doing its job. I'm just wondering if anyone has sent their camera to Panasonic for repair, and if so did they fix the problem? It's probably hard to conclude due to intermittency of the fault, but if Panasonic could offer an explanation with details of what they replaced it would be helpful.

19. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I've had my GX7 for almost a year now, and it has exhibited this behavior several times already. I wonder what the exact cause is.

20. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    This has happen on both my Panasonic cameras, GX7 and GM5, but not once an my Olympus EM5 or EP5. The dealer who supplied my GM5 (GX7 was purchased second hand, so I only have redress through Panasonic directly should I wish) suggested trying a different SD card. I did as he suggested and it does seem to be more stable. Maybe worth you trying if you haven't already and I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

• Like Like x 1