1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 No high speed flash sync or wireless trigger.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kshiz, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
  2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    It has these features. I had the prototype and have a final version with me. Shot over 5K frames and hours of video. Trust me, its in there.

3. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Ah! Thank you. I've been reading conflicting reviews. And couldn't believe Panasonic did not include these features.

4. MitchHamilton

MitchHamilton Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    They missed a few things over at Photoxels but overall I was happy with the first Canadian review of the GX7. It's tough covering EVERYTHING in a short period of time. Thanks G for clearing that up.

5. TBK

TBK Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Hmmm... When I read Kshiz's posting, I interpret it to mean being able to shoot HSS, RC wireless (high speed sync flash off camera).

The GX7 does allow for RC wireless flash control. Separately, the GX7 allows for flash sync up to 1/320th of a sec for built in flash only. However, off camera flash sync is limited to 1/250th.

Giulio, with all this in mind, are you saying that you have successfully done RC wireless HSS with the GX7? For example, off camera flash at 1/500th of a second with the GX7?

Many thanks in advance.

6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    They were probably talking about these features not being available while using the electronic shutter.

7. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    It's hard to cover everything. These are very feature rich cameras.

8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Yes. To quote the Advanced manual page 225 -

"[Wireless FP]

During wireless recording, an external flash fired an FP flash (high speed repetition of flash firing). This firing allows recording with the flash at fast shutter speed."

The GX7 has the same flash system as the GH3. I believe its the same as the OMD and G6 since it' a Panasonic technology to begin with.

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I was under the impression that the wireless flash functionality on M43 was originally an Olympus technology that they have in fact licensed out to Panasonic rather than it being a Panasonic technology ??
    Regards
    Rob

10. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Nope it's Panasonic. They also license flash tech to other companies too.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So you're saying Panasonic licensed wireless flash to Olympus for years, while not including it in their own cameras? The GH3 is the first Panasonic m43 to support wireless flash. Oly's flashes included the capability for years, while Panasonic's version of the same units didn't.

I find it hard to believe Panasonic didn't use their own technology in these cameras while Olympus did.

12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi

Following some research :- Patent for Wireless Flash

Publication number US5640623 A (US Patent Number 5640623)

Original Assignee Olympus Optical Co., Ltd.

Publication date Jun 17, 1997

https://www.google.com/patents/US5640623

Panasonic may indeed licence and produce Flash Units to other manufacturers but this is only for actual flash technology not Wireless Technology as far as I can see which by the looks of the above is still an Olympus Technology

13. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Seems like. Good find here although the Olympus patent is interesting that it only dates back to 1997 when Minolta flashes were using wireless TTL since the 90's I believe.

14. garethld

garethld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Surrey
    Gareth
    question from a lamen... I have the GX7 and want to shoot off camera flash wirelessly. Am i best pairing it with the DMW-FL360LE flashgun?