GX7 Mini review.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kshiz, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    So I got my GX7 w/14-42mm last Friday. Here is what I think so far.

Build
    Great build. Feels solid but as a lot of others mentioned its not as solid feeling as the EM5. Not a problem if you've never held an EM5. Dials have a very good clicky feel and have just enough give. Buttons have a very distinct click when pressed. Might come off as feeling cheap but I prefer them much more to the EM5s squishy tiny buttons.

Ergonomics
    Now this is the biggest reason I switched from the EM5. Large grip with faux leather feels great. Easy one handed operation if you wanted. Dials are nicely placed, especially the rear dial. Buttons on the back are spaced well and have little problem finding the one I want. MF-AF switch is a really great feature that I think all m43 cameras should have. The AEL button in the switch is large and easy to hit. Great for those that want to use it for for AF and the shutter button only for shutter release. Evf placement is good for left eye shooters like myself. Our face can be placed farther away from the controls so things aren't all cramped.

EVF
    Its large. Not huge, but a little larger than my EM5 was in 3:2 ratio. Its bright and very saturated. I think its a little too saturated and contrasty for my taste. However its still a great evf. Also its super sharp. I do prefer it over the EM5. Tearing is very minimal, and when it does happen its barely noticeable.

IBIS
    Its there. It works. I only have a Oly 45mm to test with it and got shots at 1/25th. Ibis only engages below 2 seconds and I do not think a firmware update will ever give us in viewfinder stabilization. Its just a technical limitation of the mechanical 2axis. And for those wondering, yes the 5 axis is better. I say just be happy with any stabilization of prime lenses. My Canon cameras never gave me that and I was still happy.

IQ
    Its good. Just look at peoples posts. Its not something to worry about. I was able to manipulate raws very well in Lightroom 5.

All in all this is what I wanted. A camera that's comfortable to shoot with where I don't keep hitting the wrong buttons or can't really reach the back dial like my EM5. When I hit buttons I get a clicky conformation that I hit it. Has a small focus point for single AF like my old DSLRs. And my face doesn't take up all the room on the back of the camera. Hope this helps some people.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Don't Like That....
    -Can't turn on face detection with single point auto focus.
    -Can't remap Rec button, although I might have left it as is anyway.
    -I occasionally cover the LED focus light with my finger with the way I grip the camera.
    -Strap lugs are still in the way, like all small cameras it seems.
    -Electronic Shutter bands like crazy under fluorescent light.
    -Really loud shutter. Well compared to the EM5.
    -Waiting for that dang eyecup to be available in the US.

These are small quibbles. Nothing that makes shooting any less enjoyable.

Update on IBIS
    So I tried a little test again. Shot 3 shots standing on my balcony aiming at some houses in the dark about 300ft away with the 14-42mm II at 42mm @ 1/2.5 all came out basically blur free. Shot my Oly 45mm @ 1/2.5 also had the same hit rate.

So I'd say IBIS is as good as Mega OIS.

With E-Shutter on you can feel the IBIS engage. Its a weird split second vibration. Also makes a faint noise.

• Like Like x 3
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Please post some photo samples.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Kshiz, what do you mean "IBIS only engages below 2 seconds"?

5. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Nice work, Kshiz.

Tell me, what's your opinion of the GX7's high ISO capabilities? Some have said in this respect its sensor surpasses the E-M5; would you agree?

tia.

6. Bacio

Bacio New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    Could you please compare GX7 and E-M5 regarding:
    - AF speed and accuracy,
    - AF "box" size?

~A.

7. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/97052442@N08/10042141285/

There are 3 center cropped photos. First 2 actually had very slight blur. Last one was sharp.

All are shot standing handheld @ 1/2.5 sec-f/3.5-ISO3200-45mm

Lightroom Auto corrected for color noise, but other than that no noise reduction was added.

8. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    meyerweb- If you set a shutter speed 2 seconds or longer IBIS doesn't turn on at all.

pbasswil- ISO seems pretty on par with the E-M5. My E-M5 stuff is on another computer right now.

Bacio- AF is super quick and accurate. As all M43 cameras are nowadays. The AF box size can be shrunk down to almost a "point" and if you set AF to "Pinpoint" you really do get a point.

9. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I found that when using pinpoint the AF speed has delay since it will show the zoom-in image, small box is much more convenient and fast.

10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    What would be the point of having stabilization at such slow shutter speeds? No point for me as I would have the camera on a tripod at much higher speeds than 2 seconds.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  11. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Caused by the scan rate of the sensor picking up the on/off cycle of the fluorescent light. The sensor scan rate also causes distortion of fast moving objects (shutter rolling). This was also a common problem with focal plane shutters in film cameras. This is why the flash is disable when the electronic shutter is on. Otherwise only a narrow band of the image would be illuminated due to the short duration of the electronic flash. If shooting under fluorescent lighting use the mechanical shutter. Same goes for shooting fast moving objects. I have found that the silent mode works well for street shooting. I have not experimented with different shutter speeds with the electronic shutter on under fluorescent lights. I suspect that at some shutter speeds the banding effect will disappear. Has anyone played around with this?

Mike

12. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Sheesh, just thought people would like to know. I found it interesting regardless of the fact that I never hand hold anything for 2 seconds. Knowing the limitations of your product is only a benefit in my opinion.

And this is to calm the 5-axis believers down that do claim they can do this as the 5-axis has no limitation as to how long IBIS is on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011

I've only tried lower ISO and the lower the less banding you get. My home is illuminated with fluorescent lights so that's why I immediately noticed it. You're right thought silent mode would most likely be used outside, not in my home.

14. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Kshiz,
    I did not mean this to be sarcastic! I appreciate your posting information about the GX7.

Mike

15. biomed

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Thanks. I will probably experiment a bit to see if there are any shutter speeds at higher ISOs that will eliminate or minimalize the banding.

Mike

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks!

Agree. This doesn't seem like a significant issue.

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Does this have the touchAF pad feature like the GH3? And more importantly, does it let you pick not 1:1 (I can't remember the term.. relative?) option? I did not realize it was an option and made it significantly more awesome on the GH3. I just don't know if the EVF protrudes enough so I have space to use it without jabbing my face.

18. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Haha sorry!! I thought it came off like that! But in your case you don't even need to shut it off since it doesn't kick in at long shutter speeds. Hey hey pretty convenient. ;D

19. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011

I saw reviews mentioning it having the touch pad af. In use it doesn't seem very practical unless you tilt the evf up so your face is away from the LCD screen. I'm not to sure what you mean by 1:1? You mean like the picture ratio 1:1 square? It has that.

20. ToxMox

ToxMox Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2012
    I'm kind of surprised the strap lug placement isn't getting more negative play. It is the one thing that I really dislike on my GX7.

Digs right into my palm when holding the camera. Wish I could remove it somehow.