1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7: Low Light/Hi ISO portrait lens question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rbelyell, Oct 29, 2013.

1. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    i am very interested in this camera and have gotten some excellent insight from users on this forum.

one of the things i like to do is shoot 90-150mm fl portraits in low light, meaning high iso. i'm particularly interested in the 32-6400 range. any users care to comment on using those FLs in low light in that iso range?

please feel free to post samples!
    thanks

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    The Olympus 45 and 75 f1.8 lenses are superb and exactly the lengths you describe.

3. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    thanks brett, i have the 45. have you used these lenses on the gx7 in lowlight? i am very interested in how the gx7 performs with these lenses in lowlight.

4. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I have the O45 and the GX7. If I dont already have images with it at high ISO I can take some test shots this evening and post them. Overall, the GX7 performs very well in low light, and of course the 45 is as great on it as on any other camera (looks great with the silver on silver too!). Of course with the GX7 you have the added benefit of having IBIS with it on a panasonic body too.

5. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    thanks, thats very kind of you. i'm most interested in the 32-6400 range. i have an epl5, and while i am very impressed with its IQ, it really cannot be used beyond 3200, imo.

6. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    Here are some low light shots of an old ipod speaker i had laying around. They are a center crop followed by the full image. All are shot on a tripod with the gx7 using the wireless remote function with O45 at 2.8 and the mechanical shutter. I didn't do every interval but did give you some low iso comparisons, and then both 3200 and 6400 since those were the ones you were most interested in. I removed all sharpening and noise reduction that lightroom was applying so this is what the unmanipulated raw file looks like.

ISO 200 (1/13)
    ISO Test (1 of 4).
    ISO Test (1 of 4)-2.
    ISO 800 (1/50)
    ISO Test (2 of 4).
    ISO Test (2 of 4)-2.
    ISO 3200 (1/200)
    ISO Test (3 of 4).
    ISO Test (3 of 4)-2.
    ISO 6400 (1/400)
    ISO Test (4 of 4).
    ISO Test (4 of 4)-2.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm curious to why and how you shoot portraits in such low light at such high ISO. Is there a reason for that? Examples? GX7 performs about the same as EPL5 or OMD.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Lens performance and ISO are completely unrelated. If the lens is sharp and contrasty at ISO 200, it is just as sharp and contrasty at ISO 6400. The image may not be as good, but that's related solely to sensor performance and image processing, not any variation in lens performance related to changing ISO.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd agree with that. Are you shooting general posed portraits, candids at events and such, or posed portraits in special locations which are dark? For the first instance I'd just plan for better lighting.