GX7 Lens Attachment Failed & Slow Lens "Connection"

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by AcridSaint, Jul 31, 2015.

1. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Hi Folks,

This month I've started having some intermittent problems with my GX7. It started with the Panny 14mm lens occasionally being very slow to "connect" after swapping lenses. I also got one or two "Lens Attachment Failed" errors when swapping.

Then, after a few days, I started noticing the "Lens Attachment Failed" error when turning on the camera. I figured the lens is going wonky or needs the contact cleaned. Then I bought the Sigma 60mm and found that it also gives this error when turning on the camera.

In total, I think I've seen the error less than 10 times after a month of pretty heavy use. I called Panasonic and they said to send it in, but my warranty is expired, so I'll have to pay for it. Since my warranty is already out, I probably won't rush to send it in. It would leave me with only my E-PM2 body and I have some shooting lined up this month. Maybe after the GX8 hits the market...

Anyone else seen these errors? If so, what have you done to correct it?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You've tried cleaning off the contacts, then? A pencil eraser often works well for that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Just had everything cleaned today at the camera store. I haven't seen the error in a week or so, but I haven't been shooting much this week.

4. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I've had it a couple of times, but not I think since I sprayed the body and lens contacts with some electrical contact cleaner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I have some here, I don't know why I didn't think to try it. I'll give it a little while and see if it acts up again and then I'll try that. Maybe not a bad idea to do once a year or something anyways.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The pencil eraser suggestion is a good one. The erasers on the ends of wooded pencils typically have some fine abrasive content that is excellent for cleaning and polishing electrical contacts. Contact cleaner is fine, but it is a solvent and performs no mechanical cleaning. I'll typically use some kind of solvent on a Q-tip after I have polished contacts. That's always safe on G-10 fiberglass printed circuit board contacts, but be careful to carefully test the solvent if you're putting on plastic of any type. Rubbing alcohol is almost always safe. Nail polish remover, "Goo-Gone," acetone, MEK substitue, lacquer thinner, enamel reducer, etc. are all a lot more plastic-hostile and must be tested.

IIRC there are some stand-alone erasers that have enough abrasive content that they feel gritty. Stay away from those.

• Like Like x 1